Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the American People care about Romney's tax returns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    If Romney didnt break any laws, I dont care if he paid negative taxes.

Fresno - hombre is right, you should be mad at congress for not changing the tax code. Didnt the dems have complete control of the fed govt for a while recently? They could have adjusted the tax code, right?
    I don't think the problem is that Romney took advantage of the tax code. I think the issue is that he is still stating that taxes are too high, and he wants to lower them even further for high income earners, even though he is already paying a lower rate than most of the middle class.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      My characterization of your comments was accurate. It is utter speculation on your part to suggest that he paid 13%, 14%, 15% or any specific amount in those years for which he has not released information. You and I and everyone else just don't know.

And I'm lol at Hornsby's comment about Romney's 2010 return, being "one of the few he's released". No offense, Horns, but since when does two become a few? I know, it's just semantics, but if you're trying to defend Romney calling two a "few" is a good strategy, I guess.

These last few posts are excellent examples of the approach being taken by Romney's campaign. "He's released parts of two years, so we should simply extrapolate from that." Are we supposed to go along with that sort of logic?

As I said, and as I continue to maintain, those who speculate that he paid close to 15% are as bad as those who speculate that he paid nothing. Until information is released, we just don't know.

And just for the record, I'm not claiming he's sleazy.
      Lucky, I'm on your side, but on this one, you were just plain wrong. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge the facts. And hell, I thought that using the term "one of the few" was pretty damning...live and learn.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Ok, I was confused by Lucky's response, but the Hornsby followup made sense to me.
        "one of the few" is not high praise here.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I've obviously missed something here, but I trust my colleagues enough to admit that I was off base somewhere.

What I was trying to say was that having tax information from only the last couple of years isn't enough to be certain about what he did the other years. And that we shouldn't speculate that he paid a lot or a little without more information. And, less importantly, that two is a little short of few. To the extent anything else came out, please disregard.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
            I've obviously missed something here, but I trust my colleagues enough to admit that I was off base somewhere.

What I was trying to say was that having tax information from only the last couple of years isn't enough to be certain about what he did the other years. And that we shouldn't speculate that he paid a lot or a little without more information. And, less importantly, that two is a little short of few. To the extent anything else came out, please disregard.
            Well, again, not really...

few, noun, pronoun,
            adjective
            not many but more than one: Few artists live luxuriously.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
              even though he is already paying a lower rate than most of the middle class.
              Fresno used this same talking point earlier- IMHO it is misleading, at best.

It is not true that Romney PAYS a lower rate than most of the middle class. His effective rate (taxes he pays as a percentage of his gross income) will be much higher in almost all cases.

And I submit to you, at the end of the day, the effective rate is what most people care about- especially middle class people. You can tell them their marginal rate is 10% or 15% or 25%..... I believe that what most people care most about is how much tax they are paying, as a % of their income.

Comment

Originally posted by hombre View Post
                It is not true that Romney PAYS a lower rate than most of the middle class. His effective rate (taxes he pays as a percentage of his gross income) will be much higher in almost all cases.
                It's not? If he hasn't had a wage paying job in a while, which he hasn't, then isn't most of his income treated as capital gains, in which case isn't his effective tax rate (taxes he pays as a percentage of his gross income) lower than many/most middle class wage earners?

Comment

If eveything is all hunky dory, why wont he release them....im willing to avatar bet that he paid zero taxes in 2008 or 2009 thanks to capital losses
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

And I submit to you, at the end of the day, the effective rate is what most people care about- especially middle class people. You can tell them their marginal rate is 10% or 15% or 25%..... I believe that what most people care most about is how much tax they are paying, as a % of their income.
                    OK, I exaggerated a little by saying middle class, but his effective rate is quite low for his income. The effective rate for the Top 1% was 24.0% (in 2009, the first numbers I found), 20.9% for the Top 5%, and 18.0% for the Top 10%. So for a person with his income, an effective tax rate of 13-15% is very low.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                      OK, I exaggerated a little by saying middle class, but his effective rate is quite low for his income. The effective rate for the Top 1% was 24.0% (in 2009, the first numbers I found), 20.9% for the Top 5%, and 18.0% for the Top 10%. So for a person with his income, an effective tax rate of 13-15% is very low.
                      Not true- the way our tax codes are set up, that is to be fully expected: http://accounting.smartpros.com/x72959.xml

I call your attention to the last paragraph: "the very highest income group- the top one-tenth of 1%- actually has a lower average effective income tax rate than the rest of the top 1%... because these extremely high-income returns are more likely to have income from capital gains and dividends, which are typically taxed at lower rates."

Comment

Not true- the way our tax codes are set up, that is to be fully expected: http://accounting.smartpros.com/x72959.xml

I call your attention to the last paragraph: "the very highest income group- the top one-tenth of 1%- actually has a lower average effective income tax rate than the rest of the top 1%... because these extremely high-income returns are more likely to have income from capital gains and dividends, which are typically taxed at lower rates."
                        I don't think anyone is arguing that him paying lower taxes isn't to be expected. It's absolutely expected. I don't think any of us believe he hasn't paid what he owes under the law. We just suspect that given his wealth and income he pays lower than what's "fair" because the tax code "unfairly" favors the extremely high income earners who are more likely to have income from capital gains and dividends. I don't think that Romney is withholding his returns because he's done anything nefarious. I think he's withholding them because most Americans would intuitively view his effective tax rate as unfairly low, while taking note of the fact that he and his party are the ones who have worked hardest to ensure that this level of unfairness in the tax code is sustained, and that they still complian that the wealthy are overtaxed. It's a position that doesn't sit well with a lot of potential voters, and Romney's own tax filings would probably hammer that point home in the voters' consciousness.

Comment

Look at the actual data. Not significantly lower, and sometimes not at all. In 2009, the Top 0.1% paid an effective tax rate of 24.28%, and the Top 1% paid an effective rate of 24.01%. In other years, sometimes the Top 0.1% pays a slightly lower rate, but it is always within 1% of the Top 1%. Romney's rate of 13-15% is very low for his income.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            It's not? If he hasn't had a wage paying job in a while, which he hasn't, then isn't most of his income treated as capital gains, in which case isn't his effective tax rate (taxes he pays as a percentage of his gross income) lower than many/most middle class wage earners?
                            Again- like many in here, you seem to be equating/confusing marginal tax rates with effective tax rates.

We're already established Romney pays 14-15% effective. For the "typical" middle-class American family (the Joe/Jane Schmoe mentioned by Fresno earlier) making 50K a year, their effective rate is often zero, or close to it:
                            (simplified example)
                            Gross $50k
                            less: standard deduction (13,900)
                            less: exemptions (4X3700= 14,800)

Taxable income- 22,300
                            Tax liability- 2,600

less: child credits (2X1000= 2000)

Total taxes paid: $600

So this typical 2-kid family making 50K a year pays an effective rate of 1.2% (600/50,000). Put another way, Romney's effective tax rate is 12.5 times that of this household (15 vs 1.2)

If they own a home, they will benefit from mortgage interest deductions, in which case their net Federal tax liability might be less or zero.

I am not a tax accountant.... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
                            Last edited by hombre; 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM. Reason: Math was never my best subject

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              If eveything is all hunky dory, why wont he release them....im willing to avatar bet that he paid zero taxes in 2008 or 2009 thanks to capital losses
                              what would be wrong with that?
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Again- like many in here, you seem to be equating/confusing marginal tax rates with effective tax rates.
                                Trust me, we all understand the difference. And the effective tax rate for the Top 0.1%, or the Top 1%, is around 24%. The effective tax rate for the Top 10% is around 18%. In the two years where Romney has released some info, he has paid a rate between 13-15%. That is significantly lower than average for his income.

Comment

Working...
                                X