No announcement yet.

London Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best moment for me was about 1.5 hours after Ennis won her gold when Mo Farah brought home that amazing 10000m race. That made it 5 golds that day, and 3 in track and field. Best sporting day I have ever experienced.

This scene was replicated all over the country I imagine

Aston Eaton anyone? This guy is amazing! First time I've seen him today, coincidentally the day that Roman Sebrle pulled out and retired.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 08-08-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
      He's a rebel... and loves quotation marks
      I can't believe you quit posting today with 999 posts. Sheesh. Would one more have been too much?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I can't believe you quit posting today with 999 posts. Sheesh. Would one more have been too much?
        Savor it a while.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I agree with chancellor and others that the Aly Raisman enquiry (and the Japanese men's gymnastics team enquiry in the team event) are good for the sport, ensuring more consistency and objectivity in the judging. In the Raisman case, the Karolyis obviously knew what elements are in her routine and which ones were executed. Those points are supposed to be automatic. And they identified that the final score could not be possible if she were appropriately credited for executing the elements that she executed. The coach had to write down all of the elements in her routine that were executed, including the elements that were combined which is supposed to be an automatic bonus, and they went back to the replay to see if that was so. Upon review, they determined that she hadn't gotten the automatic points for execution of elements and combination of elements to which she was entitled. There wasn't any recalculation of subjective assessments of her artistry.

Comment

• As to johnny's question whether we're concerned about the US medal haul, absolutely not. Yesterday was a great day for the USA and we've got several more sure medals and likely golds coming in the team sports. Why? Primarily because our women kick ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              As to johnny's question whether we're concerned about the US medal haul, absolutely not. Yesterday was a great day for the USA and we've got several more sure medals and likely golds coming in the team sports. Why? Primarily because our women kick ass.
              Yeah ... the ladies came through since I made that post. And Aston Eaton ... this guy is amazing.

Comment

I agree with chancellor and others that the Aly Raisman enquiry (and the Japanese men's gymnastics team enquiry in the team event) y.
                I agree, except for the part where the coach runs up to the officials with cash in his hand. (If I'm remembering correctly). Just makes the whole thing seem "off" if you will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Weirdest thing...that runner from the USA who insisted upon licking himself all over before every event.
                  That freaked my wife out pretty badly. I'm used to bizarre rituals by long distance runners, many of whom are anti-social...at best. But his was, uh, pretty unusual. But if I were told I had to do that to get a silver...yeah, I'd do it.

Women's beach volleyball final has been my favorite, so far. Bolt crushing the field in the 100m again was spectacular, too.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I agree, except for the part where the coach runs up to the officials with cash in his hand. (If I'm remembering correctly). Just makes the whole thing seem "off" if you will.
                    Yeah, that is weird. The idea is to prevent everyone from filing an enquiry as a matter of default and figuring, what have I got to lose? So they make you deposit $300 and if you succeed in the enquiry, you get it back. That may be unfair for less well-funded athletes/nations, though.

Comment

Yeah, that is weird. The idea is to prevent everyone from filing an enquiry as a matter of default and figuring, what have I got to lose? So they make you deposit $300 and if you succeed in the enquiry, you get it back. That may be unfair for less well-funded athletes/nations, though.
                      First I've heard of this ... wow ... this is an appalling rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        First I've heard of this ... wow ... this is an appalling rule.
                        Here's an explanation of the process. Apparently in addition to the Japanese men's team and Aly Raisman, Germany inquired into Fabian Hambuchen's pommel horse score in the men's all around, and it was rejected. So the Germans lost their $300.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz234Snqiam

Comment

• The McKayla Maroney Meme

http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/

Comment

Okay, so what are the real highlights for you guys so far? I know we have a lot of action yet to take place, but there have been some memorable moments.
                            Women's indoor volleyball. That's all that needs to be said.

Comment

• It really sucks to come in 4th place. No one will ever remember your name. You will never be mentioned in any history of the Olympics. And yet you are the fourth best in the WORLD!!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Okay, so what are the real highlights for you guys so far? I know we have a lot of action yet to take place, but there have been some memorable moments.
                                Memorable moment? The weightlifter who had 500lbs crash on his neck and him to the floor... and then to get up, wave to crowd and walk away!!

One tough buttercupper!
                                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                                X