Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My biggest musical regret is that I never saw 1,2 and 3 live....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 on my list was Led Zeppelin, and while I'll never get to see them there are ways to get some of the same vibe.

I spent a good bit of this weekend going through a ton of old Zeppelin boots. Not only did their fans record and trade shows, but audience tapes and soundboards would inevitably make it into the hands of the Japanese bootleg companies who would tweak them a little, package them up and sell them for a small fortune. For some shows, as many as five separate audience recordings have been found, leading to huge arguments over which is the best. For a lot of the shows, you can find as many as 10 or 12 versions for sale. The people who do buy these expensive boots, though, tend to say FU to the bootleggers and make the recordings available on torrent sites.

Anyway, I listened to a bunch of shows, from '68 through '77, and there is an amazing wealth of great music there. Some shows, like September 4, 1970, are absolutely legendary, and for good reason. Some are relatively poor quality audience recordings which happened to be from a night the band was on fire. Some are pristine soundboards, with far better sound that most commercial releases of live albums.

So, I would vote again for Led Zeppelin as my first pick. They changed and matured greatly through the years, but they didn't get stale or fall into a rut. The shows from '77 pack just as much of a punch as the Fillmore shows from 1969.

If you have some Led Zeppelin "imports", pull them out and give them a listen. If you don't, get one or two from a friend. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

I have on cassette the show that Zeppelin played on the day I was born (4/4/71), which contains one of the first performances of Stairway to Heaven.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Counting Crows were in town a few weeks back and tickets were available. I've always wanted to see them, but couldn't find anyone else to go and just got too lazy to go by myself. I regretted it the next day.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Back to FB's original question: Who is 1, 2 and 3? Never heard of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Back to FB's original question: Who is 1, 2 and 3? Never heard of them.
            Bubblegum pop band that tried to cash in on the Jackson 5 craze in 1970-71.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              Bubblegum pop band that tried to cash in on the Jackson 5 craze in 1970-71.

That most guys here would say sucked
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

They're no Rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  That most guys here would say sucked
                  Jackson 5 was an excellent band, with great writers and studio musicians to back up their considerable talent.

Had Michael not blossomed into a superstar, however, they wouldn't have gone for.

Comment

Working...
                  X