Senseless in Aurora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
    Lawyers are the scum of the earth. How can you sue a movie studio for a movie that you freely decided to spend money on to go see. Unreal.
    We finally agree on something.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
      On the theater I don't know how I feel. The door apparently did not have a silent alarm, but I have no idea if that is something that is common in movie theaters or expected.

On the Dr, I am not well versed enough at all to know if going after the Dr. has merit.

On the studio I am strongly of the opinion that they should not be held accountable in any way shape or form. The claim that there is too much violence in the film is crazy. The Dark Knight Rises had not even been seen yet and both it and Dark Knight received PG-13 ratings. This is a money reach for the group that has the most money to offer.

The event was tragic, but what do you guys think about the litigation?
      It's unreasonable to expect the theater to be prepared for any and every conceivable thing a member of the general public might possibly do. This is obviously a money grab.

Ditto for the studio. We can't define what people can and should see down to the level of the least capable among us.

As for the doctor, I don't how they could possibly know anything about the nature of his treatment. It sounds like a legal fishing expedition.

It's disappointing that people would try to cash in, but not unexpected.
      Last edited by senorsheep; 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I read somewhere that they may not seek the death penalty because that could stretch out the whole process for years and years. That makes no sense to me ... if you have the death penalty, and it is not going to be used for an open and shut case like this, then there is no justification for having it in the first place.

The comment was something like they wanted to consult the families of the victims before making a decision on the death penalty. I'm not trolling or trying to be insensitive in saying this, but this should not even come into the equation. If you have the death penalty, then this is clearly a case were it needs to be applied without equivocation.

From a rational perspective, I'm 100% against the death penalty on the principle that innocents will inevitably fall victim, and that de-legitimises the whole idea. From a personal and emotional point of view ... flaying him inch by inch is too good for him.

Comment

In other news, for those interested in following the aftermath, this rumor is the talk of the town right now:

The man accused in the movie house massacre at a Denver-area screening of the new "Batman" film mailed a notebook detailing his plans to a psychiatrist at his university before the attack, Fox News reported on Wednesday, as the first funeral was held for one of the 12 people killed.

The package allegedly sent by 24-year-old James Eagan Holmes remained unopened in a mailroom at the University of Colorado, for as long as a week before its discovery on Monday, FoxNews.com reported, citing a law enforcement source.
          If you're considering this from the mental health angle, and wonder when someone could have or should have intervened, I believe the psychiatrist would have been required by law to notify the authorities if/when he had read the alleged contents of the package.

So, yay, now maybe we can sue The University Of Colorado, too.
          Last edited by senorsheep; 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Breaking news update: State Senate President John Morse has conceded defeat in Colorado's first-ever recall election.

Preliminary results updated by the El Paso County Clerk at 9:36 p.m. showed 51.33 percent of voters wanted Morse to be recalled. 17,611 votes were counted as of 9:36 p.m.

"The highest rank in a democracy is citizen, not senate president," he said at the conclusion of his concession speech.

Angela Giron, who was winning in the first preliminary updates is now losing, with 57 percent in favor of recalling her. As of 9:36 p.m., 16,723 votes had been counted.

The two Democratic representatives faced these recall elections because of their support for gun control during the last legislative session. They both voted in favor of 15-round limits on ammunition magazines and for expanded background checks on private gun sales after the 2012 mass shootings in Aurora and Newtown, Conn. The legislation passed Colorado's Democrat-led Legislature this year without any Republican support and was signed into law by Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper."
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
            X