Happy Trails.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Trails.

A friend of mine sent me this (for some reason the pictures did not transfer). I thought I would share it with you as well. I am probably one of about 2 or 3 posters that actually watched Roy as a kid.

My parents took me to Milwaukee County Stadium to see Roy when I was 5 or 6 years old. My father had me on his shoulders as Roy and Trigger went by. He was slapping hands. I missed him by less then a foot. I only remember parts of the show, but I remember this like it was yesterday.

THE END OF AN ERA.......

The Roy Rogers Museum in Branson, MO has closed its doors forever.
    The contents of the museum were sold at a public auction.
    Roy Rogers told his son, if the museum ever operates at a loss, close it
    And sell the contents. He complied.

Note the follow-on article truly the end of an era.
    Here is a partial listing of some of the items that were sold at auction...

Roy 's 1964 Bonneville sold for $254,500, it was estimated to
    Sell between 100 and 150 thousand dollars.

His script book from the January 14,1953 episode of This Is Your Life sold for $10,000 (EST. $800-$1,000).

A collection of signed baseballs (Pete Rose, Duke Snyder and other greats) sold for $3,750.

A collection of signed bats (Yogi Berra, Enos Slaughter, Bob Feller, and others) sold for $2,750.

Trigger's saddle and bridle sold for $386,500 (EST. 100-150 K).

One of many of Roy 's shirts sold for $16,250 and one of his many cowboy hats sold for $17,500.

One set of boot spurs sold for $10,625. (He never used a set of spurs on Trigger).

A life size shooting gallery sold for $27,500.

Various chandeliers sold from $6,875 to $20,000. Very unique and artistic in their western style.

Roy's first Boots

A signed photograph by Don Larsen taken during his perfect game in the world series against
    The Dodgers on Oct. 8, 1953, along with a signed baseball to Roy from Don, sold for $2,500.

Two fabulous limited edition BB guns in their original boxes with
    Numerous photos of Roy, Dale, Gabby, and Pat sold for $3,750.

A collection of memorabilia from his shows entertaining the troops in Vietnam sold for $938.
    I never knew he was there. His flight jacket sold for $7,500.

His set of dinner ware plates and silverware sold for $11,875.
    The Bible they used at the dinner table every night sold for $8,750.

One of several of his guitars sold for $27,500.

Nellybelle sold for $116,500.

A fabulous painting of Roy, Dale, Pat, Buttermilk, Trigger, and Bullet sold for $10,625.

One of several sets of movie posters sold for $18,750.

A black and white photograph of Gene Autry with a touching inscription
    From Gene to Roy sold for $17,500.

A Republic Productions Poster bearing many autographs of the
    People that played in Roy 's movies sold for $11,875.

Dale's horse, Buttermilk (whose history is very interesting) sold below
    The presale estimate for $25,000. (EST. 30-40 K).

Bullet sold for $35,000 (EST. 10-15 K). He was their real pet.

Dale's parade saddle, estimated to sell between 20-30 K, sold for $104,500.

One of many pairs of Roy 's boots sold for $21,250.

Trigger sold for $266,500.

Do you remember the 1938 movie The Adventures of Robinhood,
    With Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland? Well Olivia rode Trigger in that movie.

Trigger was bred on a farm co-owned by Bing Crosby.
    Roy bought Trigger on a time payment plan for $2,500.
    Roy and Trigger made 188 movies together.
    Trigger even out did Bob Hope by winning an Oscar in the movie Son of Paleface in 1953.

It is extremely sad to see this era lost forever. Despite the fact that Gene and Roy 's movies,
    As well as those of other great characters, can be bought or rented for viewing,
    today's kids would rather spend their time playing video games.
    Today it takes a very special pair of parents to raise their kids with the right values and morals.
    These were the great heroes of our childhood, and they did teach us right from
    Wrong, and how to have and show respect for each other and the animals that share this earth.

You and I were born at the right time.
    We were able to grow up with these great people even if we never met them.
    In their own way they taught us patriotism and honor, we learned that lying and
    Cheating were bad, and sex wasn't as important as love.
    We learned how to suffer through disappointment and failure and work through it. Our lives were drug free.

So it's good-bye to Roy and Dale, Gene and Hoppy, The Lone Ranger and Tonto.
    Farewell to Sky King and Superman and Sgt. Friday. Thanks to Capt.. Kangaroo,
    Mr. Rogers and Capt. Noah and all those people whose lives touched ours, and made them better.

It was a great ride through childhood.

HAPPY TRAILS MY FRIENDS

Somebody just lock it down now before Khom gets here...
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Great great great song!

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

When Yellow Brick Road came out I was not a fan of Elton. I ignored it. Thank you for sharing it. I did enjoy it.

Comment

This from Psychedelic Rock Group Quicksilver Messanger Service 2nd album Happy Trails.

Comment

I would have thought that the baseball stuff would have gone for more
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Nostalgic calls for a return to yesteryear crack me up. The 1950s sucked. Good riddance.
              The same could be said for every decade for all time.

Each decade comes with both great and bad memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                I would have thought that the baseball stuff would have gone for more
                I thought the prices for Roy's stuff were insane.

Comment

A lot of bad stuff started in the 1950s --- "God" this and "God" that as a way to combat the godless Commies. Blacks sat at the back of the bus. The US overthrew democratically elected governments (I guess not everything has changed, eh?). Rampant sexism, rampant racism, rampant religious fervor. It's like a nightmare world to me. I can see why white Christian men would look back on that time fondly.

Geez. Lighten up. I wasn't born until 1960, so I don't have any great affection for the 1950's or frankly for any other decade, except for sports cards and comic books from the 1960's and 70's. As Gregg said, every decade has it's good points and bad points.

Shoot, every day has good things and bad things that happen.

Comment

I am incapable of lightening up.
                    That's just sad.

Dr. Steve prescribes this video for you:

Comment

Captain Kangaroo can suck it.
                      There's no hope for you.

Comment

When did you turn into eldiaBhoblo??

Snarky pants!

Comment

You did not just...just...just...say that. I...I...I...AAAHHHHHHH!
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            You did not just...just...just...say that. I...I...I...AAAHHHHHHH!
                            I agree wholeheartedly with Pogues on this.

Comment

Other horrible things about the 1950s:
                              - birth of "rock and roll"
                              - polio eradicated
                              - income of the average worker increased 61 pct
                              - oral contraceptives created
                              - car seat belts introduced
                              - dawn of computer age that later spawned this internet
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X