No announcement yet.

Electoral College Hopscotch: Make Your Best Scenario for Romney to Get to 270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral College Hopscotch: Make Your Best Scenario for Romney to Get to 270

A quick look at polling in swing states with Obama polling close but ahead in Michigan, Colorado, Ohio (trending towards a double digit lead), Virginia, Florida, North Carolina and Pennsylvania makes this look like a heavy lift for Romney-- unless you invest heavily in Scott Rasmussen's polling, which is always heavily tilted to the right. There's very little chance that Michigan, Pennsylvania or Ohio will swing to Romney after his auto bailout policy debacle. Virginia is a bit up in the air, I'm honestly surprised to see Obama ahead at all in North Carolina, I think that Colorado and Nevada go to Obama while New Hampshire will go to Romney.

So, what's your GOP path to Electoral College victory in November?
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    A quick look at polling in swing states with Obama polling close but ahead in Michigan, Colorado, Ohio (trending towards a double digit lead), Virginia, Florida, North Carolina and Pennsylvania makes this look like a heavy lift for Romney-- unless you invest heavily in Scott Rasmussen's polling, which is always heavily tilted to the right. There's very little chance that Michigan, Pennsylvania or Ohio will swing to Romney after his auto bailout policy debacle. Virginia is a bit up in the air, I'm honestly surprised to see Obama ahead at all in North Carolina, I think that Colorado and Nevada go to Obama while New Hampshire will go to Romney.

Just a side note:
    Nate Silver (fivethirtyeight.com) has some very interesting data on the polling so far this year. Currently, there are four polls with a greater GOP house effect than Rasmussen has displayed so far this cycle (ABC, Fox, Quinnipiac, Gallup). Additionally, there are 5 polls with a larger left lean than Rasmussen has to the right. The most 'unbiased' poll so far has been YouGov and CNN. These are based on the national numbers.
    Rasmussen is usually the one everyone likes to bash on, but his accuracy is fairly strong so far.
    To answer your question: I don't see Romney getting near 270 without a game changing event. I don't see Obama leading in Ohio by 10 points--what poll are you referencing?

Comment

I am guessing the poll Bob is talking about is Quinnipiac. It was from the 19th - 25th of this month and has Obama up 47-38.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
        I am guessing the poll Bob is talking about is Quinnipiac. It was from the 19th - 25th of this month and has Obama up 47-38.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1767
        Thanks--I missed that. Try to keep up on these polls but that one got past me.
        I blame it on my newborn.

Comment

What would be really fun is if Romney can win Florida, Penn., NC, Wisconsin, and NH while Obama wins Nevada, Colorado, Virginia, Ohio and Michigan, with all others being the same as '08. I think that comes to 269-269.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If you go to http://www.270towin.com/ there is an interactive map. Their battle ground states are:
            New Hampshire
            Pennsylvania
            Ohio
            Wisconsin

Florida
            Iowa
            Virginia
            North Carolina
            Colorado
            Nevada

Allocate them as indicated. You might think that Florida decides the election again, but not so. Giving Florida to Romney makes a 269-269 tie. What if New Hampshire was the pivot state?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'm riding Nate Silver again after his performance in '08.

So... whatever he said.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post

This would surprise me if the election is at all close. Both states have heavy LDS influence. Romney will have an army of volunteers for door to door and GotV.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Romney wins OH, he wins the election. Not that I think that'll happen.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                  X