"Supreme Court Justice" Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Ruled it unconstitutional? Hmmm...I don't think so. Not defending is a whole different world.

B-Fly (I think) brought up the only legitimate concern on this issue - do we really want the executive branch picking and choosing which laws will be defended? I don't have a big problem with that, but I can understand the concern. For those on the left, remember that if this is OK for DOMA, then for the next conservative president, it's equally OK for abortion. Or school prayer. Or the Patriot Act.
    The "next conservative president"? How about the last conservative president. President Bush declared provisions of laws he didn't like to be 'unconstitutional' over a thousand times. Unlike Obama, though, President Bush also refused to enforce laws he believed were unconstitutional. So let's not act like this is the first time this issue has arisen.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      So is there anyone in the BullPen prepared to argue that DOMA does not violate the Full Faith and Credit Clause?
      I'll take a stab at it.

It doesn't violate the clause because your face is stupid.
      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
        I'll take a stab at it.

It doesn't violate the clause because your face is stupid.
        So who's starting the "Supreme Court Justice Buckner" thread?

Comment

So who's starting the "Supreme Court Justice Buckner" thread?
          I already did. I believe it got deleted.
          I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

You mean the new moderators ruled your post was against the rules?

Who do they think they are? Moderators ruling a post unconstitutional. They are suppose to follow the law and uphold the rules. This is a democracy not a monarchy.
            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post

Who do they think they are? Moderators ruling a post unconstitutional. They are suppose to follow the law and uphold the rules. This is a democracy not a monarchy.
              If this were a meritocracy I'd be the only person allowed to start threads.

Comment

Now I'm having flashbacks to your guest column for Fly Pops.

Comment

I bestride the rules like a Colossus.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaganomics View Post
                    Who does he think he is? Obama ruling a law unconstitutional. He is suppose to follow the law and uphold the Constitution. He was once a constitutional lawyer. He does have the right to rule a law or tell the justices to sway a certain way on the constitutionality of a law. That is for the Supreme court justices to do, not a self-apointed justice. This is a democracy not a monarchy.
                    Once President Palin gets in there and rules Roe v. Wade unconstitutional, it'll all even out.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Now I'm having flashbacks to your guest column for Fly Pops.
                      What was the title of that article? Fly Poops?

Comment

I bestride the rules like a Colossus.
                        I for one welcome our new Colossus overlord and continue to ply him with my humble offerings to curry favor:

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I for one welcome our new Colossus overlord and continue to ply him with my humble offerings to curry favor:

those look like they'd be fun to "bestride"
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                          X