"The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt

Some of the debate in the GOP War on Women thread reminded me about this book that I read recently and that I recommend to anyone, but most of all to my fellow liberals. The book didn't change my moral foundation, but it gave me a much better appreciation of the moral foundation of economic and social conservatives. To that end, I think it allows liberals and conservatives to have more productive conversations about important issues, because you start with a better understanding of where the other side is coming from.

Here's a NY Times book review:

You’re smart. You’re liberal. You’re well informed. You think conservatives are narrow-minded. You can’t understand why working-class Americans vote Republican. You figure they’re being duped. You’re wrong.

He and his colleagues have compiled a catalog of six fundamental ideas that commonly undergird moral systems: care, fairness, liberty, loyalty, authority and sanctity.

Faith, patriotism, valor, chastity, law and order — these Republican themes touch all six moral foundations, whereas Democrats, in Haidt’s analysis, focus almost entirely on care and fighting oppression. This is Haidt’s startling message to the left: When it comes to morality, conservatives are more broad-minded than liberals. They serve a more varied diet.

This is where Haidt diverges from other psychologists who have analyzed the left’s electoral failures. The usual argument of these psycho-*pundits is that conservative politicians manipulate voters’ neural roots — playing on our craving for authority, for example — to trick people into voting against their interests. But Haidt treats electoral success as a kind of evolutionary fitness test. He figures that if voters like Republican messages, there’s something in Republican messages worth liking. He chides psychologists who try to “explain away” conservatism, treating it as a pathology. Conservatism thrives because it fits how people think, and that’s what validates it. Workers who vote Republican aren’t fools. In Haidt’s words, they’re “voting for their moral interests.”
Working...
X