No announcement yet.

Economic recovery..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read a book recently called The New Frugality that went into ways to help the economy in North America. One of the main concepts was shifting away consuming goods more to paying for services. I found it interesting, thinking about paying for a babysitter or a gardener as a way of stabilizing the economy, as opposed to simply buying more stuff.

It seems to be the way things are going anyway, away from physical media (cds are already finished, vinyl is for fetishists, blu-ray will be the last physical media for movies) and into cloud-based storage.

I haven't made a whole lot of changes so far, but thinking about paying for chiropractors, nutritionists, personal trainers, or more frequent haircuts, whatever it may be, should help to boost the economy much more than buying a product that's probably imported, being sold by someone making minimum wage in some part of the service industry.

Don't we all own too much crap anyway?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      The motivation is that it helps our country to invest domestically and it hurts our country to spend money overseas. Isn't that motivation enough?
      For a corporation? Probably not. They need to minimize costs to stay competitive.

What are you suggesting that the government do? What financial incentive should they use to encourage consumers to buy domestic, or to discourage businesses from sending work overseas? Because I don't think hoping for patriotism to trump economics will be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        It owns us.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos
          How do you get more dumbasses employed?
          Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Build more libraries?

J/K, Mith. :flame:
          :ROFL:

Sorry Mith, but even you have to admit that was funny.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I'm not so sure that a move to a manufacturing-based society would be anything but a regression.
            Agree, with some relatively minor exceptions. That day is done, and you can look on that as either a catastrophe or an opportunity.
            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
              Agree, with some relatively minor exceptions. That day is done, and you can look on that as either a catastrophe or an opportunity.
              Maybe with consumer goods, but not with busses and trains and airplanes and steel and the manufacturing industries that made us the strongest economy in the world at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                For a corporation? Probably not. They need to minimize costs to stay competitive.

What are you suggesting that the government do? What financial incentive should they use to encourage consumers to buy domestic, or to discourage businesses from sending work overseas? Because I don't think hoping for patriotism to trump economics will be the solution.
                Minimizing costs to stay competitive isn't necessarily the only dynamic possible. One financial incentive that could be used is the oldest in the book...make foreign products more expensive than domestic products. Tariffs have been used for centuries. Of course, if our goods are going to cost more, our workers will need to make more in order to be able to afford them. Eventually we could get back to where craftsmen and tradesmen can make a good living.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  I read a book recently called The New Frugality that went into ways to help the economy in North America. One of the main concepts was shifting away consuming goods more to paying for services. I found it interesting, thinking about paying for a babysitter or a gardener as a way of stabilizing the economy, as opposed to simply buying more stuff.

It seems to be the way things are going anyway, away from physical media (cds are already finished, vinyl is for fetishists, blu-ray will be the last physical media for movies) and into cloud-based storage.

I haven't made a whole lot of changes so far, but thinking about paying for chiropractors, nutritionists, personal trainers, or more frequent haircuts, whatever it may be, should help to boost the economy much more than buying a product that's probably imported, being sold by someone making minimum wage in some part of the service industry.

Yes, we own too much crap. I would like to see us own fewer things and have them be of better quality.

The problem with a service based economy, though, is that so many of the jobs in the service sector are the absolute lowest paying jobs in our country. People can work two service sector jobs and still not have enough money to live. If you work a minimum wage job, you make $15,000 before taxes. Work two full time minimum wage jobs, and you only make $30,000. Can you support a spouse and two kids on that where you live? If so, what kind of life? One filled with joy and optimism for the future?

Spending money with chiropractors, nutritionists, and personal trainers is a good idea, I agree. However, and I don't know about nutritionists and personal trainers, but chiropractors make a very good living. My guess would be that nutritionists and personal trainers do too, but those aren't professions you see around here. They tend to thrive where the client base is wealthier.

Comment

More cough syrup for Lucky!! Or have the bartender give him bad Scotch, which tastes about the same! Or even good Scotch, if he wants it...

Fundamentally, the service sector of the economy can only take us so far. A significant portion of our economy must be based on adding value to raw materials - which means some combination of construction and manufacturing. We need to either level the playing field relative to currency (especially with China) or start selectively tariffing goods that take advantage of artificially devalued currencies.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      More cough syrup for Lucky!! Or have the bartender give him bad Scotch, which tastes about the same! Or even good Scotch, if he wants it...

Fundamentally, the service sector of the economy can only take us so far. A significant portion of our economy must be based on adding value to raw materials - which means some combination of construction and manufacturing. We need to either level the playing field relative to currency (especially with China) or start selectively tariffing goods that take advantage of artificially devalued currencies.
                      It is hard to tell, but it looks as though you are agreeing with me, at least on these three points that I made above: 1) the service sector alone cannot save our economy, 2) we must manufacture again in order to strengthen our economy, and 3) a tariff would protect our industries by obviating the necessity that they compete with cheaply made foreign goods. But, since I cannot recall your ever having agreed with me, I just don't know.

Comment

It is hard to tell, but it looks as though you are agreeing with me, at least on these three points that I made above: 1) the service sector alone cannot save our economy, 2) we must manufacture again in order to strengthen our economy, and 3) a tariff would protect our industries by obviating the necessity that they compete with cheaply made foreign goods. But, since I cannot recall your ever having agreed with me, I just don't know.
                        Definitely on 1 and 2, though on 3, tariffs would not be my first choice but are an option that should be exercised soon, particularily vis a vis China. As I've noted in the past, in the last 20 years or so, the only real serious tariffs were implemented by the GW Bush Administration on steel, literally saving what was left of the steel industry in the US.

I'll try and make a longer post on the topic from home this weekend, but a key fourth item needs to be included for long-term, successful economic recovery: controllable energy costs.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

But American manufacturing output has actually been on the increase for decades. What's the concern here?
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Minimizing costs to stay competitive isn't necessarily the only dynamic possible. One financial incentive that could be used is the oldest in the book...make foreign products more expensive than domestic products. Tariffs have been used for centuries. Of course, if our goods are going to cost more, our workers will need to make more in order to be able to afford them. Eventually we could get back to where craftsmen and tradesmen can make a good living.
                            I am a little skeptical of tariffs doing much more than making things more expensive for consumers. FWIW, a 25% tariff on goods imported from China seems to be one of the central platforms in Donald Trump's presidential campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              But American manufacturing output has actually been on the increase for decades. What's the concern here?
                              Hmmm...I'm not tracking with you here, KS. Industrial production and utilization since 1989 is summarized here:

By my read, we've had negative growth since 2001 in industrial production, and a significant decrease in utilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                How do you define American Manufacturing? American companies that buy cheap components overseas and assemble here. American companies that own factories in Mexico or China that do their manufacturing? Or true American companies that build everything (90%) content right here?

Comment

Working...
                                X