The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    What happens when a convicted polygamist is released from jail ... he just goes back home and continues as before? Do social services get involved if there are children?
    All but the first marriage would be viewed as illegal from their inception, and maybe the first marriage as well if the first wife was not of the age of consent. Any questions about the children from either the first legal marriage or the subsequent illegal ones would be governed in family court by a "best interest of the child" standard. That might entail leaving each child in the custody of his/her biological mother, or it could entail making the children wards of the state and placing them in group homes, foster care, adoptive care, etc.

Comment

Wow, that's a powerful video

Comment

Cue the bigots with the "We're not bigots, we just hate the sin" crap...
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          Cue the bigots with the "We're not bigots, we just hate the sin" crap...
          What's the point in replying? Horrible story. Government shouldn't be in the marriage business. It should be in the contract business.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

So, do we blame Obama for his utterly ridiculous pre-election stance on this issue or do we blame our society for making such a stance politically 'necessary'?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              So, do we blame Obama for his utterly ridiculous pre-election stance on this issue or do we blame our society for making such a stance politically 'necessary'?
              On this, I blame Obama. I honestly don't think his ridiculous stance remains politically necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                On this, I blame Obama. I honestly don't think his ridiculous stance remains politically necessary.
                If it isn't politically necessary then why is he doing it? If he is planning to 'come out' with his true feelings after the election, then I'm guessing all his internal pollsters have provided convincing evidence that it's a net-loss for him in the upcoming election. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just be honest since he's on the right side?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  If it isn't politically necessary then why is he doing it? If he is planning to 'come out' with his true feelings after the election, then I'm guessing all his internal pollsters have provided convincing evidence that it's a net-loss for him in the upcoming election. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just be honest since he's on the right side?
                  He should. Biden has.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                    What's the point in replying? Horrible story. Government shouldn't be in the marriage business. It should be in the contract business.
                    Marriage is a contract. Next?
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      Well, here's a problem with gay marriage not being legal. If you are against gay marriage, you are a bigot, plain and simple. Being gay is not a sin, is not wrong, and is nothing to be ashamed of.
                      Religion makes a large number of people stupid. Having this kind of crap drilled into you from the time you are 4 in a church setting is going to lead many to believe that being gay is a sin. It's very sad, but so many are so weak.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

North Carolina --- nice fail tonight

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          ditto

Grow a pair already

Comment

what message would Obama tell the independents this fall if his admin seems to support gay marriage, but he won't say so?

tens of millions of intelligent voters who don't see this as a key issue for voting purposes - except maybe if the guy who was going to change the way Washington does business doesn't really want to change the way Washington does business?

what constituents is he appealing to here?
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

That's why thing as well, JJ. Who exactly is he going to disenfranchise here? Anyone he annoys by taking a stance is mostly likely not in his corner to being with

Comment

The only explanation that makes sense is that he (or his political advisers) think(s) that evangelicals won't come out in droves for Romney as things stand now, but that they might if Obama casts his lot with the pro-gay-marriage ranks.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X