The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Leave the gays alone and make your pick!
    I had just gotten out of the shower and got the news, so I didn't have my lists with me in the shower.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I am puzzled how 4 justices could find DOMA constitutional. This law was specifically designed to discriminate against a class of citizens against the wishes of their state. But, I guess the Bowers v. Hardwick ruling would have confused me as well since that scotus decision was even more specific by outlawing sodomy in same sex participants but allowing it in hetero partners.

Comment

• I have no idea why anyone thought DOMA wasn't a violation of the Full Faith & Credit Clause of the Constitution. What happened to strict construction of that section of the Constitution?
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          The best (worst) thing about Scalia's hypocritical hand wringing is that despite his protestations that SCOTUS shouldn't exert "judicial supremacy over the people's Representatives in Congress and the Executive" that's 100% exactly what they did in overruling the Voting Rights Act that was overwhelmingly supported by a bipartisan majority in both the House and Senate.

Seriously, fuck this guy.
          Yeah there are few people that get me really pissed and Scalia is one of them. I think it stems from the fact about how disingenuous he is. He pretends to be some sort of better than thou intellectual. But he's just a punk with an impressive vocabulary.

Comment

The best (worst) thing about Scalia's hypocritical hand wringing is that despite his protestations that SCOTUS shouldn't exert "judicial supremacy over the people's Representatives in Congress and the Executive"
            Also from the article you pasted - “And even if we did, we have no power under the Constitution to invalidate this democratically adopted legislation". I guess if Congress voted to disband the Supreme Court his opinion may change. I kind of thought a role of the Court was to decide on legislation to keep the other branches of government in check.

Comment

• There is probably no better barometer of my journey from being a solid (severe?) conservative to...well, whatever I am today...than my changing opinion of Justice Scalia and the quality of his jurisprudence.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Scalia and Dick Chenney are the two people that have done the most during my lifetime to ruin the parts of America that I love
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I'm guessing that the Dyke March this saturday is going to be EPIC......
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    Scalia and Dick Chenney are the two people that have done the most during my lifetime to ruin the parts of America that I love
                    Dick Cheney? LOLOL. I am so sure his dark powers over the force were what caused the Senate to pass DOMA while he wasn't even in the Senate. And caused Bill Clinton to sign it into law.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

“It’s just another example of judicial supremacy rather than having the government run by the people we actually vote for. I thought it was a bad decision.” --- Chris Christie (surely right after he said the same of the SCOTUS gutting the Voting Rights Act.....right? right???)

Christie vetoed legislation that would legalize same sex marriage in NJ and has said that he'd do the same again.
                      That will come back to haunt him if he makes a presidential run.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Dick Cheney? LOLOL. I am so sure his dark powers over the force were what caused the Senate to pass DOMA while he wasn't even in the Senate. And caused Bill Clinton to sign it into law.
                        I don't think he was referring to Cheney's role in DOMA, but rather his creation of weapons of mass deception in order to get his boss to give the go-ahead on the invasion of Iraq that he so lusted after. It'll be a day of celebration when that evil fuck dies. Suck on it NSA.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm guessing he wasn't referring to DOMA, specifically, but rather responding to my comment about Scalia and what a douche that guy is.
                          Maybe, but I'm trying to figure out what Dick Cheney could have ruined that he loved. Cheney had nothing whatsoever to do with DOMA. He's an absolute piker when compared to the present administration in terms of limitation of personal freedoms, destroying whistleblowers, and domestic spying. Hell, Cheney was even less anti-marijuana than the present administration. If you're a believer that Cheney dictated policy in the GWB years, amount of pot seized at the Mexican border has almost doubled today vs. 2005.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            I don't think he was referring to Cheney's role in DOMA, but rather his creation of weapons of mass deception in order to get his boss to give the go-ahead on the invasion of Iraq that he so lusted after. It'll be a day of celebration when that evil fuck dies. Suck on it NSA.
                            bingo....Cheney is the architect of the whole "the president can do anything they want in a time of war" mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Maybe, but I'm trying to figure out what Dick Cheney could have ruined that he loved. Cheney had nothing whatsoever to do with DOMA. He's an absolute piker when compared to the present administration in terms of limitation of personal freedoms, destroying whistleblowers, and domestic spying. Hell, Cheney was even less anti-marijuana than the present administration. If you're a believer that Cheney dictated policy in the GWB years, amount of pot seized at the Mexican border has almost doubled today vs. 2005.
                              0% on DOMA, 100% on torture/Patriot Act/ignoring the Geneva Convention

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                0% on DOMA, 100% on torture/Patriot Act/ignoring the Geneva Convention
                                And has been pretty well quantitatively shown, an absolute piker compared to this adminstration. I can understand disliking Cheney, but you're simply giving him wayyyyyyyy too much credit.

And I'd argue the concept of "the president can do whatever he wants in time of war" predates Cheney's tenure by, oh, about 140 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X