*Official Triple Crown Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    I'll Have Another is the 12th horse since Affirmed won the Triple Crown in 1978 to head into the Belmont Stakes with a chance. Here's how I rank the prior 11 on if they would have been "worthy" winners of the Crown:

Dey Were Worthy
    1979 - Spectacular Bid: he's considered one of the greatest horses of all time, and his loss in the Belmont is still questioned (bad ride by inexperienced jockey; stepping on a pin, etc.). He shoulda won.

1987 - Alysheba: another HOFer, Alysheba came into his own after the Triple Crown races, having only won a maiden race before the Derby. he capped off an incredible 4-year old campaign with one of the greatest Breeders Cup Classics ever.

1989 - Sunday Silence: yet another HOFer, he's ranked as the 31st greatest thoroughbred by The Blood Horse. Unfortunately for his legacy, he had the misfortune of running into the 34th greatest thoroughbred ever, Easy Goer, who romped in the Belmont by 8 lengths in the second-fastest time ever.

1997 - Silver Charm: the fourth of this group to be inducted into the HOF, Silver Charm finished 2nd to Touch Gold in a minor upset. He had everything going for him heading into the race, but couldn't get it done.

2004 - Smarty Jones: was the undefeated winner of the Derby, and then romped in the Preakness by 12 lengths. How could he lose? He was intensely popular, and his Belmont Stakes is still the most-attended sporting event in New York state history. Somehow Birdstone caught him in the stretch and that was that, and he never raced again.

2008 - Big Brown: if everyone thought Smarty Jones would end the TC schneid, everyone knew Big Brown would. Like Smarty Jones, he was undefeated heading into the Belmont,but then something went terribly wrong and he was eased in the stretch, finishing dead last in what would also be the last race of his career.

Woulda Been OK
    1981 - Pleasant Colony: he was a nice horse, a champion, and would've made a fine TC winner. But that's why there's a fine line between immortals and the just missed.

1998 - Real Quiet: he was lightly regarded heading into the Derby but crushed in the Preakness. He held a 5-length lead at the top of the Belmont stretch, only to have Victory Gallop catch him by a nose at the wire in the closest of the "just missed" margins.

No Bidness
    1999 - Charismatic: a great story, he was a $25k claimer who somehow managed to win both the Derby and Preakness, but he broke a bone in the Belmont and valiantly still finished 3rd. It was his final race of a storied career, but he doesn't come close to the immortals who won the TC before.

2002 - War Emblem: another who emerged at the right time, War Emblem did little after his Belmont loss.

2003 - Funny Cide: an improbable winner of both the Derby & Preakness, he was the 1st gelding since 1929 to win. He skidded badly after his Belmont loss, but since geldings tend to run for years, he made a remarkable comeback three years later before being retired.

The jury's out on I'll Have Another, but I know I don't have the same confidence in him that I had in Smarty Jones, Big Brown, Silver Charm, etc. Maybe that's the kiss of death?

Coincidentally, America's Best Racing.com ran a simulation yesterday of the above 12 dual classic winners. And the winner is........I'll Have Another!

Comment

Best few years for horse racing in a generation.

It must be Triple Crown year ... Camelot won the Derby yesterday (very impressively) to have a shot at the English version of the Triple Crow. It was a strong field, but I didn't see any way another horse was getting past him ... it was free money ... so I placed the first biggish bet in about 4 years (won £666 ... not very generous odds). Over the longer distance no-one can stay with him ... when this horse kicks, he can just keep accelerating:

English Triple Crown:

2000 Guineas
      The Derby
      St Ledger

Last winner? Nijinsky (42 years ago ... he is the only horse in the last 77 years to win the English Triple Crown). For good measure, Nijinsky also won the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes that year (1970).

Northern Dancer was Njinsky's sire, and he's also Camelot's great-great-grand-sire.

Comment

I knew the English Triple Crown had been won less, but had no idea Nijinsky II was the last one. Of all the great horses over the years (Dancing Brave, Slip Anchor, El Gran Senor, The Minstrel, Shirley Heights, Brigadier Gerard, Mill Reef, Roberto, etc), I can't believe this is only the 3rd time since 1970 that a horse has a chance at the triple!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Best few years for horse racing in a generation.

It must be Triple Crown year ... Camelot won the Derby yesterday (very impressively) to have a shot at the English version of the Triple Crow. It was a strong field, but I didn't see any way another horse was getting past him ... it was free money ... so I placed the first biggish bet in about 4 years (won £666 ... not very generous odds). Over the longer distance no-one can stay with him ... when this horse kicks, he can just keep accelerating:

English Triple Crown:

2000 Guineas
          The Derby
          St Ledger

Last winner? Nijinsky (42 years ago ... he is the only horse in the last 77 years to win the English Triple Crown). For good measure, Nijinsky also won the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes that year (1970).

Northern Dancer was Njinsky's sire, and he's also Camelot's great-great-grand-sire.
          That was a cool vid... thanks johnny... Weird to see chase vehicles on the track behind the horses
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood-H...e_20th_Century

Some clown ranked Secretariat 14th best and that's why Man O War is number one.
            Man O' War will always be my favorite horse, I've loved him since reading about him as a child. He was an amazing horse, winning just about every race he ever ran. But I'd put Secretariat, and no other, above him in the rankings.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

So if I'll Have Another and Camelot win their respective triple crown's ... DEATH MATCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                Man O' War will always be my favorite horse, I've loved him since reading about him as a child. He was an amazing horse, winning just about every race he ever ran. But I'd put Secretariat, and no other, above him in the rankings.
                The Aussies will be happy to know that Phar Lap is the 22nd best US horse of all time

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  The Aussies will be happy to know that Phar Lap is the 22nd best US horse of all time
                  Did Phar Lap ever race in the Northern Hemisphere?

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    Did Phar Lap ever race in the Northern Hemisphere?

J
                    Unfortunately his final race, which he did win....but he died shortly thereafter. Did that influence reviewers? Perhaps they didn;t get a good enough taste.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Unfortunately his final race, which he did win....but he died shortly thereafter. Did that influence reviewers? Perhaps they didn;t get a good enough taste.
                      They ate him afterword? Eeewww.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        They ate him afterword? Eeewww.
                        I hope not. He was supposedly poisoned!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          In the immortal words of Ernie Bilko, "I like a sporting event in which I know the outcome before-hand; its more organized."

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I did not realise they were flying Black Caviar back and forth from Europe to Australia for every race this year. That seems utterly stupid! The horse's body clock is going to be running races at the equivalent of midnight Aussie time.

A senior vet has outlined the risks Black Caviar will face in travelling from Australia to Britain for Royal Ascot

I guess that kills any chance of a Frankel versus Black Caviar match race.

Comment

• here's your field for the 144th running of the Belmont Stakes:

Belmont Stakes (gr. I), $1,000,000, June 9, 3-year-olds, 1 1/2 miles, all horses carry 126 pounds
                              PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer, ML
                              1. Street Life, Jose Lezcano, Chad Brown, 12-1
                              2. Unstoppable U, Junior Alvarado, Ken McPeek, 30-1
                              3. Union Rags, John Velazquez, Michael Matz, 6-1
                              4. Atigun, Julien Leparoux, Ken McPeek, 30-1
                              5. Dullahan, Javier Castellano, Dale Romans, 5-1
                              6. Ravelo's Boy, Alex, Solis, Manuel Azpurua, 50-1
                              7. Five Sixteen, Rosie Napravnik, Dominick Schettino, 50-1
                              8. Guyana Star Dweej, Kent Desormeaux, Doodnauth Shivmangal, 50-1
                              9. Paynter, Mike Smith, Bob Baffert, 8-1
                              10. Optimizer, Corey Nakatani, D. Wayne Lukas, 20-1
                              11. I'll Have Another, Mario Gutierrez, Doug O'Neill, 4-5
                              12. My Adonis, Ramon Dominguez, Kelly Breen, 20-1

Comment

• This is going to be a different race ... I don't like 4/5.

Comment

Working...
                                X