No announcement yet.

*Official Triple Crown Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good signs for Camelot ahead of the St Ledger. He won the Irish Derby yesterday on very heavy ground. It was a small but top-heavy field, and several drop outs due to the sodden track. He had plenty left in the tank as the jockey pushed him hard over the final couple of furlongs. The St Ledger is a long race at the end of a long season (1.6f) ... which is why the Triple Crown has only been done once in like 70 years. If he can last well in conditions like this, he has a real chance at the Triple Crown.

I doubt we'll see Frankel versus Camelot. Even though they could easily race over 1.2f without either having a significant advantage.

Comment

• another great race by Camelot. And another horrendously directed televised showing! Man, how doe you watch these races? What the hell good are head-on shots? At one point, the (rather very droll) announcer says ".....has a six length lead," but you'd never have known it since they never showed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        another great race by Camelot. And another horrendously directed televised showing! Man, how doe you watch these races? What the hell good are head-on shots? At one point, the (rather very droll) announcer says ".....has a six length lead," but you'd never have known it since they never showed it.
        Irish racing is huge. Racing is probably bigger in Ireland than anywhere else in the world relative to the population. But the coverage will suck ... all local Irish TV production is very amateurish. They probably had like 4 cameras at the course.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Irish racing is huge. Racing is probably bigger in Ireland than anywhere else in the world relative to the population. But the coverage will suck ... all local Irish TV production is very amateurish. They probably had like 4 cameras at the course.
          Oh I know it's huge there. That's why I can't understand how the production quality was so poor. Anyway, great race by Camelot and let's hope he stays healthy until the final leg.

Comment

• Frankel runs in the Sussex Stakes tomorrow ... his starting odds?

1-20

I'm not sure I've ever seen a horse start a Group 1 race at those odds. He is twice as likely to win as the Dream Team are to win gold.

This will be his last race over a mile. They are moving him up to 1.6f, and his last race could be the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe in October.

Comment

• Rachel Alexandra once lost at 1-20 odds, in the 2010 New Orleans Ladies Stakes.

Comment

• 5 lengths at a canter. Bit of a pointless race really.

Comment

• Carnegie, winner of the 1994 Forte Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) for Sheikh Mohammed, has been euthanized because of the infirmities of age. He was 21.

Bred in Ireland by Swettenhan Stud, Carnegie was a fabulously well-bred horse, being by perennial leading sire Sadler's Wells out of 1980 Arc winner and French Horse of the Year Detroit (by Riverman).

Carnegie, who eked out a neck win in the Arc over Hernando, was French champion 3-year-old at 11 to 14 furlongs that year. He also was a group I winner at age 4, capturing the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.

Carnegie finished sixth in the 1995 Arc, won*by*Lammtarra. He concluded his racing career several weeks later with a third-place*effort in the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) behind Northern Spur and Freedom Cry. He was retired with a record of 7-1-1 from 13 starts and earnings of $1,458,787.

Comment

• One more race to go for Frankel ... cruises past a good 1m 3f field on his first trip at the distance. He never even broke a sweat.

An iconic performance in modern horse racing. Frankel makes it 13 wins from 13 starts on his first start stepped up to 10 furlongs, with a performance that t...

His last race will be either the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe or the Champion Stakes. He's already provisionally listed at 1/3 for the Arc, and he would possibly be up against Camelot and Danedream. That would be a dream race. The Arc is 1m4f, so if he can cruise 1m3f, there shouldn't be a problem with the distance.

Comment

• Alpha and Golden Ticket dead heated in The Travers Stakes -- the first dead heat in the 143 runnings of the Midsummer Classic.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        One more race to go for Frankel ... cruises past a good 1m 3f field on his first trip at the distance. He never even broke a sweat.

An iconic performance in modern horse racing. Frankel makes it 13 wins from 13 starts on his first start stepped up to 10 furlongs, with a performance that t...

His last race will be either the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe or the Champion Stakes. He's already provisionally listed at 1/3 for the Arc, and he would possibly be up against Camelot and Danedream. That would be a dream race. The Arc is 1m4f, so if he can cruise 1m3f, there shouldn't be a problem with the distance.
                        Announced today it would be the Champion Stakes, as he's bypassing the Arc as well as the BC Classic.

Comment

• Novice jockey (son of the trainer) screwed the Triple Crown for Camelot ... let himself get boxed on the rail from early on, gambled to find a hole when the race opened up, no hole appeared, and he had to fight to get a clear run ... and left too much to do in the final 2 furlongs.

The commentators are saying Camelot did run well ... nuts. He almost ran the winner down despite the jockey.

Comment

• PRIX DE L'ARC DE TRIOMPHE tomorrow ... regular jockey on Camelot (who screwed his Triple Crown shot) replaced by possibly the GOAT flat jockey Frankie Detorri. Joseph O'Brien was (conveniently) declared as overweight, but still rides their second horse St Nicolas Abbey.

Should be a tight race though ... Camelot 3/1 favorite, but there are 8 horses who have a chance at this. Going could be soft, so that will come into play in a 1½ miles race with a long home straight.

The son of the trainer screwing Camelot out of the first Triple Crown in 30+ years. Poor call by the commentator. It was an awful ride. Camelot was at least 2/3 lengths better than the winner, and the jockey let himself get boxed in from the very start, and just gambled on space opening up. Spectacular fail.

On the plus side, if he does win the Triple Crown as he should have done, you wouldn't get 3/1 on him tomorrow. Still not sure it is a safe bet though ... this field is usually stacked with sleepers who have been brought along with only this race in mind..
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 10-06-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Camelot finishes up the track.......and I'll say again, watching European racing is painful. Going straight out of the chute for a good portion of the race, the horses don't straighten out like they do in American racing, and the announcers and telecast do a miserable job of going through the field. Besides the horse in first, you almost have no idea who's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Camelot finishes up the track.......and I'll say again, watching European racing is painful. Going straight out of the chute for a good portion of the race, the horses don't straighten out like they do in American racing, and the announcers and telecast do a miserable job of going through the field. Besides the horse in first, you almost have no idea who's who.
                                So true about the commentary. If I'm following a race I make sure I pick the colours or something distinguishing like the noseband early. This race was a lottery. The rain made the track sodden. Camelot had no chance with very soft going, and I'm betting the Frankel team were glad they choose the Champions Stakes over the Arc. I just stayed away from it. The Japanese horse looked very impressive.

Cirrus des Aigles was very impressive yesterday at Longchamp. Not sure if he can give Frankel a race, but you never know. He's 6/1 ... Frankel is an LOL 1/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X