Media draft ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media draft ideas

It's been awhile so who's ready to fire up a new media draft?

I got nixed on the Marley draft so I guess it's time to move on. I'd really like to do a world music artist draft but not sure how much interest there is for that. I know Johnny's on board with that, and I think Erik as well? I think this one would be great in terms of introducing new music to others and learning about new music for ourselves. Other genres we haven't covered: reggae, rap, country/bluegrass, and punk/new wave (not really that interested in this one personally). Movie soundtracks would be pretty cool.

Artist drafts we haven't done include include: Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Radiohead, Phish, the Kinks, and the Who.

We could also do an all-female artist song draft since most of our drafts tend to be dominated by male artists.

We've covered most of the film/tv drafts that I'd be interested in doing, but we could do decade-specific movie drafts or whatever.

Another idea is a movie character draft, with the idea of assembling a cast of characters and then giving a synopsis of a movie involving all of them. I thought of this awhile ago but never posted because I'm not sure how feasible it is and the effort of creating the synopsis on top of the draft might be too much.

Here's a list of drafts we've already done:

Album Draft by decade
    Beatles
    LZ
    Pink Floyd
    Bob Dylan
    David Bowie
    Neil Young
    Rolling Stones
    Song draft by decade
    Soul/Funk/R & B
    00s album
    Desert Island Classic Rock
    Movie draft
    TV show draft

ETA: Australia
    The Wire
    Last edited by DMT; 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Tarantino Draft

Comment

In terms of personal preference, my top 3 are: World Music Artist, Soundtracks, and the character draft (with or without the synopsis idea).
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

soundtrack or character draft sounds good, I'd vote for the Who if we are going to do a single artist
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Bruce Springsteen? F that b!tch.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I would love to do an 80's-90's alternative rock draft, either songs or albums. We'd have to work on the parameters, since there is considerable dispute about the exact timeframe of the alternative rock heyday, and what artists/ albums/ songs qualify.

I started a TV character draft interest thread once, but I got sidetracked before I could get it off the ground. I was thinking of it as a category draft - Iconic Dad, Ball & Chain, Super Siblings, Whacky Neighbor, Law Man, etc.

I've also been kicking around a combined Star Trek/ Star Wars draft that I think would be a lot of fun.

Cartoon characters?

I have a Pro Wrestling draft ready to unleash, but I think that's a different audience than the "music and movies" crowd.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              I have a Pro Wrestling draft ready to unleash, but I think that's a different audience than the "music and movies" crowd.
              Didn't you do this already? You had the teams square off, even had polls to vote for the winners.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Cover Songs?
                some potential categories:
                - used to attain one-hit wonder status
                - little-known original
                - unusual match of original/cover artists
                - very unlike the original
                - velvet undergound song
                - horrible
                - live version only
                - dedication album (same source musician/writer/band)
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Didn't you do this already? You had the teams square off, even had polls to vote for the winners.
                  Very different format - it was a bracket of pre-selected random six-man tag teams, not an actual draft. BillBuckner did one many years ago that was a disorganized trainwreck and was never finished. I'll do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                    I would love to do an 80's-90's alternative rock draft, either songs or albums. We'd have to work on the parameters, since there is considerable dispute about the exact timeframe of the alternative rock heyday, and what artists/ albums/ songs qualify.

I started a TV character draft interest thread once, but I got sidetracked before I could get it off the ground. I was thinking of it as a category draft - Iconic Dad, Ball & Chain, Super Siblings, Whacky Neighbor, Law Man, etc.

I've also been kicking around a combined Star Trek/ Star Wars draft that I think would be a lot of fun.

Cartoon characters?

80-90's Alt - Ya (80's-present alt would be better)

TV - Nah (too close to the recent TV draft)

Star wars - Ya ... if it was a sci fi draft or something more general

Cartoon - Nah

Wrestling - Nah
                    Last edited by johnnya24; 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      Cover Songs?
                      some potential categories: ...
                      This would be quite difficult I think ... interesting, but a high % chance of not finishing

Comment

I thought we did Star Wars... I know I took Han Solo first in something... maybe that was a movie character draft though?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          I thought we did Star Wars... I know I took Han Solo first in something... maybe that was a movie character draft though?
                          No ... that was the Favorite Past Times draft. You were 1.01 I believe.

Comment

I think the all female song draft would be very good.

If not this next one I hope we can do it in the future.

Comment

So far, nothing has garnered more than two votes so not sure whether we have the support to proceed.

Anyone else on board with

Soundtrack
                              80s/90s alternative
                              Female artist
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X