Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President's Day -- Why are people off from work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    But you're part of the wreck.
    I'm just adding a little gasoline to the fire.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      I'm just adding a little gasoline to the fire.
      Duuuuude...is it a wreck or a fire?????

Maybe a firewreck..or wreckfire....
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I just don't see the point creating holidays to honor people in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

It's hardly arbitrary. Honoring two of the most significant Presidents in our country's history is absolutely appropriate. I just don't get your beef with this topic at all.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          It's hardly arbitrary. Honoring two of the most significant Presidents in our country's history is absolutely appropriate. I just don't get your beef with this topic at all.
          If the day was for the rock band Rush, I'm sure he'd be okay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post

who wouldnt be?
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              i wanted to know how getting a day off from work ties in with honoring two great presidents? I understand why we choose to honor them, but exactly how does creating a national holiday contribute to honoring them? If there wasn't a holiday would we think less of them? Do people sit at home on president's day discussing how great our presidents were? and most importantly, why do you people still engage me on this topic?????

I know i overthink things way too much sometimes....but that just contributes to the enigma that Mithrandir is
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                dude, they are Canadian...geez....

Comment

i wanted to know how getting a day off from work ties in with honoring two great presidents? I understand why we choose to honor them, but exactly how does creating a national holiday contribute to honoring them? If there wasn't a holiday would we think less of them?
                  No

Do people sit at home on president's day discussing how great our presidents were?
                  Thanks to them and others like them, I can if I want.

and most importantly, why do you people still engage me on this topic?????
                  You're just so darn fascinating.

Comment

dude, they are Canadian...geez....

They are Canadian Geese? That makes their music even more incredible.

Comment

i wanted to know how getting a day off from work ties in with honoring two great presidents? I understand why we choose to honor them, but exactly how does creating a national holiday contribute to honoring them? If there wasn't a holiday would we think less of them? Do people sit at home on president's day discussing how great our presidents were? and most importantly, why do you people still engage me on this topic?????

I know i overthink things way too much sometimes....but that just contributes to the enigma that Mithrandir is
                      I think then, your issue is not with the specific holiday of President's day, but rather the concept of Holidays in general. I'm pretty sure that when holidays were conceived, they were a method of indeed taking that time to honor the occasion with family and friends and not just a day off of work or another marketing opportunity.

Don't confuse original intent with the bastardization most holidays have become.

relax and enjoy thew fact that the two men we're honoring with this holiday are carved into Mt. RUSHmore.............(ok I know that was bad, but the dork in me just couldn't pass it up)
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don't even like football anymore, but the day after the Super Bowl should be a national holiday.
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          I don't even like football anymore, but the day after the Super Bowl should be a national holiday.
                          Seriously, especially since my company's monthly safety meetings fall on the first Monday of the month which corresponds with (you guessed it) the day after the Super Bowl!

For the record, my stingy company doesn't give us President's Day, MLK's B-day, or Veteran's Day off. Luckily, for this year's President's Day I was in Germany celebrating their love of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            So basically, we're talking 10 holidays - or two work weeks. Most Americans get 10 vacation days. So basically, you get four weeks worth of paid vacation out of 52 weeks in the year. I don't think that's remotely excessive. Scattered three day weekends are good for the economy because they encourage people to travel more and play more, and I think they're probably good for productivity as people recharge their batteries. I suppose one can argue whether the underlying subject of each individual holiday is more or less worthy of recognition than other things or people that are not the subject of a holiday, but I don't really understand why one would begrudge the days off.
                            Where are you, B?

Comment

Working...
                            X