Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
    Many of us want single payer, but there was absolutely no chance of that happening. The polls from July 2011 showed the national support for a Single Payer health care system at just 35%. Although the number varies a lot, depending on how the question is asked. When asked about single payer, the support is 35%, but when asked for a system like Medicare, the support is closer to 50%. It will take more time for the country to evolve on this, just as we have seen with Don't Ask, Don't Tell and gay marriage.
    evolve...be educated....either way

Keep government out of my medicare. smh

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
      The tax angle also provide Romney with some ammunition about what Obama will be bring about in increased taxes to the middle class.

I'm torn on this issue, as I see the need to have everyone insured, but see this as something that does take away people's independence to make decisions about how they want to engage in this area of commerce.
      Yeah, I think you're missing something here. If it is a tax in Obama's health care plan, then it was a tax in Romney's health care plan. Every time he tries to hang the tax albatross around Obama's neck, he will be shooting himself in the foot. Oh, there will be some kind of distinction without a difference the Rovian pundits will dream up, but it's either a tax with both or a tax with neither.

Comment

• "it's either a tax with both or a tax with neither."

yeah, I would think so.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• BREAKING: Supreme Court Upholds 20-Year-Old Republican Healthcare Solution; GOP Vows to Fight

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I'm curious, though. In what way did this "take away people's independence to make decisions about how they want to engage in this area of commerce"? You mean, people who didn't want to have any insurance at all, and therefore have their health costs passed directly to other taxpayers, now have to purchase it (or get it for free, depending on finances)?
            Yup. I'm not saying it's right, but it is a restriction in people's freedom to choose, IMO.

Yeah, I think you're missing something here. If it is a tax in Obama's health care plan, then it was a tax in Romney's health care plan. Every time he tries to hang the tax albatross around Obama's neck, he will be shooting himself in the foot. Oh, there will be some kind of distinction without a difference the Rovian pundits will dream up, but it's either a tax with both or a tax with neither.
            I don't think Romney's Health Care in MA is something he's constituents hear. The other part of that is people don't care how it effect someone else, only how effects them.

I'm not a Romney fan, so please don't think I'm defending him.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Quit trying to think about the issues and just accept what the politicians say. When Romney says his plan was great because it was just for a state and Obama's is terrible because it was for the whole country you are supposed to cheer and wave your "Down with Obamacare" sign, not say "But aren't they basically the same thing?"

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                Quit trying to think about the issues and just accept what the politicians say. When Romney says his plan was great because it was just for a state and Obama's is terrible because it was for the whole country you are supposed to cheer and wave your "Down with Obamacare" sign, not say "But aren't they basically the same thing?"
                Duly noted. Working on my sign now.

Comment

• Does anyone have the details on what Rmoney would put in place if he were to repeal the act? I can't believe he wouldn't take questions today after giving his opinion speech today.

Comment

• tax or not a tax?

The Anti-Injunction Act provides that "no suit for the purpose of restraining the assessment or collection of any tax shall be maintained in any court by any person," 26 U. S. C. §7421(a), so that those subject to a tax must first pay it and then sue for a refund. The present challenge seeks to restrain the collection of the shared responsibility payment from those who do not comply with the individual mandate. But Congress did not intend the payment to be treated as a "tax" for purposes of the Anti-Injunction Act. The Affordable Care Act describes the payment as a "penalty," not a "tax." That label cannot control whether the payment is a tax for purposes of the Constitution, but it does determine the application of the Anti-Injunction Act. The Anti-Injunction Act therefore does not bar this suit. Pp. 11-15.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      BREAKING: Supreme Court Upholds 20-Year-Old Republican Healthcare Solution; GOP Vows to Fight
                      Almost as ridiculous:

BREAKING: Supreme Court Upholds 20-Year-Old Republican Healthcare Solution; Dems Hail Bill as Greatest Achievement of "Progressive" President
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Does anyone have the details on what Rmoney would put in place if he were to repeal the act? I can't believe he wouldn't take questions today after giving his opinion speech today.
                        I dont believe romney would completely repeal it.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Almost as ridiculous:

BREAKING: Supreme Court Upholds 20-Year-Old Republican Healthcare Solution; Dems Hail Bill as Greatest Achievement of "Progressive" President
                          this wasn't enough for a true progressive -- just look at those of us in here that kept insisting for a push for single payer.

Comment

• Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be ‘constitutional’ does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional. While the court may have erroneously come to the conclusion that the law is allowable, it certainly does nothing to make this mandate or government takeover of our health care right,” Sen. Rand Paul said.
                            I'm 10000% certain he would have used the same language had the decision gone the other way.

Comment

• good read here

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...The+New+Yorker

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                                Romney may shoot off a toe in the argument, but it'll be a shot in the vital organs to Obama. Romney didn't do an interview with George Stephanopolous that clearly stated the health care bill was not a tax. Romney's not the one who, in the 2008 campaign, said he'd not increase taxes on those making less than $200,000. And there's probably a myriad of other examples I can't remember off the top of my head.

From a campaign/political view, this is manna on the ground for the Romney campaign. SCOTUS upheld ObamaCare, so Romney will get redoubled support from the Tea party side. He gets to put Obama in the unenviable position of defending what the Supreme Court has clearly called a tax. Conflated further, he or his allies will get to state that all this time and effort spent on increasing taxes was at the expense of job creation. And to top it off, the majority all but gutted using the Commerce Clause for similar arguments in the future.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X