Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    This entire debate is so ridiculous. If you show up at an ER, they have to treat you. So how does the argument that people can 'opt out' of health insurance make any sense? We are all in the system because we will receive care if we need it. Everyone needs coverage in some form or another because we will all receive care if we need it. Done, argument over. How did the solicitor general fail to make this argument?
    They don't actually have to treat you unless it is an emergency. Plus, even if it is an emergency, you get no followup care. And they bill you for what they do. And they sue you if you don't pay. My court gets over 130 cases every month on behalf of the local hospital, suing patients.

Doctors have told us for years that preventive medical care is the smart way. Yet we have a system which causes people to wait until their condition is bad enough to constitute an emergency before they can see a doctor, and then get charged ten times what an earlier office visit would have cost. (The basis for that is that office visits here locally are less than $100, and even the most basic emergency room visit pushes $1000. My insurance carrier just changed the provisions on ER coverage, to include a $250 deductible that is not subject to any stop-loss provisions. As someone who winds up there four or five times a year, that's hard to swallow.)

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      or just expand Medicare which everyone, including teapartiers (even though they apparently have no f'n clue who runs it) likes.
      I've never understood why this wasn't attempted in the first place.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I've never understood why this wasn't attempted in the first place.
        It makes too much sense. I know that people talk about Medicare fraud all the time, but I think their care/administration ratio is pretty good. They could all take a lesson from the VA, though. They provide great care, and don't spend crazy amounts on admin costs.

Doesn't the Affordable Care Act cap insurance company administrative expenses at 20%, or is that some other law which does that?

Comment

Let's be precise here, because I'm not entirely sure what y'all are promoting. Medicare is for the elderly and people of all income brackets can participate, although there is a sliding scale income-based premium for some aspects of the coverage. Medicaid is for the poor. Which one would you expand and how, to cover whom? Most of the uninsured are not elderly, they're young.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
            One again, OJH does not understand what is going on. There were four topics to be discussed during this week's session. These were decided in advance. Discussing severability of the individual mandate was part of the schedule, as that issue already came up in a Circuit Court decision.
            1) Anti - Injunction Act Issues (Monday)
            2) Minimum Coverage Provision (Tuesday)
            3) Severability Issues (Wednesday)
            4) Medicaid Issues (Wednesday)
            Thanks. I was not up on the schedule.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Let's be precise here, because I'm not entirely sure what y'all are promoting. Medicare is for the elderly and people of all income brackets can participate, although there is a sliding scale income-based premium for some aspects of the coverage. Medicaid is for the poor. Which one would you expand and how, to cover whom? Most of the uninsured are not elderly, they're young.
              Expand Medicare, eliminate Medicaid. Just about every doc I know says the Medicare regs are much clearer and easier to deal with than Medicaid, and while it's possible to commit fraud as a doc on Medicare, you're much more likely to get caught than Medicaid. I'm not up on the paperwork differences, but I'm surprised at how uniform the response is.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                And what, then, to do about poor folk who cannot afford insurance and can easily get buried under mountains of deductibles? Or those who hit lifetime caps? Or those who have preexisting conditions?

Honestly, there still is no sane answer that does not involve single payer. Administrative costs in this country are a total joke in the private insurance industry.
                Your point about admin costs may well be valid, but that doesn't make single payer any more valid. Last I saw, we're still running a $1.3ish trillion deficit per year, and single payer will do nothing but add astronomically to that total, unless you're going to work under the illusion that our government will break a near 50-year trend and actually bring in a health care program at anywhere near the costs estimated.

Comment

I think you're scared of ghosts. We're already spending almost 20% of GDP on health care. You think it'll get worse than that? I think that evidence doesn't support that position. I think it would be tough to get any worse at this point. We have a mediocre (which is an extremely generous term, actually) system that costs more than just about anyone else AND millions upon millions aren't even participants.

I think the real illusion is that we're not adding to our financial woes by using the broken system we use right now. The hole keeps getting deeper and deeper and free-market delusionists dig their heels in ever further to defend the failure.

Edit: Put in wrong % the first time.
                  We had this debate before. I agree with chancellor.

Just a quick point on your 20%. What makes you think that use of tax money would reduce that rather than dig the hole deeper and deeper and single payer delusionists dig their heels in ever further to defend the failure?

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Wait, we can't afford what now? We can't afford not to change the system at this point.
                    Hey, as long as those of your political persuasion are willing to make the tough cuts - and they'll be brutal - to actually afford national health care, go for it. Take about a trillion out of spending plus the additional cuts to bring on national health care, and it'll have incredible broad-based support.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Hey, as long as those of your political persuasion are willing to make the tough cuts - and they'll be brutal - to actually afford national health care, go for it. Take about a trillion out of spending plus the additional cuts to bring on national health care, and it'll have incredible broad-based support.
                      I don't think there's any reluctance to cuts, but they have to be across the board starting with the DOD and moving on from there. Making Healthcare and Pharma non profit would be the next step to lowering costs.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Again, not true. Every single evaluation of single payer costs has spoken to the fact that the savings associated with lower administrative costs would more than offset the costs of universal health care.

Link after link after link after link saying the same thing: single payer health care would save money.
                        And real-life experience after real-life experience in our country says the same thing: any health-care benefit started by government grossly exceeds budgeted costs, and typically exceeds even the highest end estimates of costs, with the most recent example being the Medicare drug expansion during the Bush admin.

Comment

Among other things, we're currently stuck in a bad cycle with emergency rooms.

Currently, any hospital that has an ER and takes Medicare has to provide emergency care and stabilizing treatment, regardless of ability to pay. That includes full care for a pregnancy.

This is bad news, as it means a lot of people without coverage showing up for minor stuff, even taking a free ambulance ride there.

But it gets much worse when you add liability. Unlike family physicians, hospitals have:
                          - far less history on the client (or none at all),
                          - have a lot of clients,
                          - have a lot of money,
                          - have the means to test for unusual conditions.
                          Having the means to test for all these unusual conditions, and little history on a large clientele, makes hospitals liable to do so. This costs the hospitals a lot of money, which they have make up somewhere.

So one hope I have for health care reform would be to get people without coverage into regular, preventative care, and out of hospital ERs. If a program were to succeed in that, it would have a short-term cost and long-term savings.

Unfortunately, short-term loss for long-term gain is a tough sell.
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            I don't think there's any reluctance to cuts, but they have to be across the board starting with the DOD and moving on from there. Making Healthcare and Pharma non profit would be the next step to lowering costs.
                            I am on board with across the board cuts. So far we have not seen any cuts in anything, just reduced increases.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

What does real life experience tell us about private industry running our nation's health care?
                              It grossly overcharges us to fatten their own wallets

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                anything started by government grossly exceeds budgeted costs
                                fixed.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X