Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaleoMan View Post
    And so it begins. You have major carriers strategically leaving unfriendly marketplaces and ending their individual plans. 2014 is going to be a bloodbath when the premium readjustments are mailed out.

http://news.yahoo.com/aetna-exit-cal...184916425.html
    I guess you think this is big news, but major insurance carriers ending sales of certain products in markets or exiting them altogether, literally happens all the time.

For example, do you know how many individual health carriers are available in NYC? Three. In New Jersey? Four. Are there only 3 or 4 insurance carriers in that region? of course not. Insurance carriers have been exiting markets for years when it becomes too unprofitable for them there.

Comment

• Wait, isn't that pretty much capitalism? A company exits, others will fill in the gaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        Wait, isn't that pretty much capitalism? A company exits, others will fill in the gaps.
        Agreed. Far bigger news will be the increase in rates, not that some will leave the market. Following that, it will be interesting to see how many employers simply stop offering health insurance and accept the fines.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Agreed. Far bigger news will be the increase in rates, not that some will leave the market. Following that, it will be interesting to see how many employers simply stop offering health insurance and accept the fines.
          When I asked this question before the election, I was told that insurance benifits are offered as a way to get good employees. Employers have not been under any obligation to supply insurance in the past. So I should not worry because that would not change and all will be well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            When I asked this question before the election, I was told that insurance benifits are offered as a way to get good employees. Employers have not been under any obligation to supply insurance in the past. So I should not worry because that would not change and all will be well.
            I still can't see why anyone who was offering benefits would suddenly choose to drop them. I can see some companies cutting hours on employees so they don't qualify for benefits under the new law.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              I still can't see why anyone who was offering benefits would suddenly choose to drop them. I can see some companies cutting hours on employees so they don't qualify for benefits under the new law.
              My understanding, from an insurance agent, is the IRS has been monitoring this for past 5-6 quarters and companies will be slapped with penalties for reducing employees hours to put them under the minimum. The whole thing has been so poorly rolled out with so little communication to the general public that people are going to be shocked, not so much this fall, but when they file taxes in 2015.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52232157/n.../#.Ub9bxuecfTo

Gotta love that MN is paying assistants $70 to enroll someone on a private plan, but only $25 for someone who enrolls in Medicaid. Screwing the poor once again. What an absolute sham, and no I didn't intend to spell "shame". It is that as well.
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Wait, isn't that pretty much capitalism? A company exits, others will fill in the gaps.
                  Absent government intervention, that is correct.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    I still can't see why anyone who was offering benefits would suddenly choose to drop them.
                    Continuing rapid price increases will do it.

Comment

• Today's ruling in FTC vs. Actavis by SCOTUS should help all health care costs. Pay for delay on entry of generic drugs can now be challenged on antitrust grounds, though the action is not presumed illegal.

Comment

• I got a $151 refund check from an anesthesiologist for an overcharge last week

THANKS OBAMA

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Continuing rapid price increases will do it.
                          Like the prices for the last 20 years for example.

Comment

• The employer mandate has been delayed one year, to Jan 1, 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              The employer mandate has been delayed one year, to Jan 1, 2015.
                              Conveniently after the 2014 midterms.

Comment

• good news for New Yorkers http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tml?ref=health

that's a rather large rate drop

Comment

Working...
                                X