"Game of Thrones" Season 2 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
    Dude what are you talking about? Tyrion's looks are his redeeming qualities?

He actually does have a ton of redeeming qualities. He's loyal to his family even though they treat him poorly. He's also damn smart and clever. Finally he's generous, as shown by having designed a special saddle for Bran.
    In the series he is an uncomplicated tyrant. The books are more generous.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
      I think he's likable in both ... he just always seems to find himself in no-win situations. But GRRM does make every effort to lure you into rooting for characters you previously hated and visa versa.

Comment

I just downloaded S2E1. I'm fighting the urge to start it and kill an hour.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

J
          That's not necessarily accurate either. TV is a medium limited in that you can't dwell inside the character's head like you can in the books. BUT, Dinklage does a masterful job in portraying Tyrion's complexity. A complexity born out of the fact that he is a generally decent guy, who's occasionally perverse, and bound by loyal duty to his family. By loyalty I don't mean love either.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            I think he's likable in both ... he just always seems to find himself in no-win situations. But GRRM does make every effort to lure you into rooting for characters you previously hated and visa versa.
            Then you are seeing something I am not. I see someone unlikable, perhaps intentionally so.

That's not necessarily accurate either. TV is a medium limited in that you can't dwell inside the character's head like you can in the books. BUT, Dinklage does a masterful job in portraying Tyrion's complexity. A complexity born out of the fact that he is a generally decent guy, who's occasionally perverse, and bound by loyal duty to his family. By loyalty I don't mean love either.
            I am getting nothing but selfish brat. One that takes pleasure in thwarting others reasonable intentions. Someone too personally petty to be dangerous, without the job under him.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Then you are seeing something I am not. I see someone unlikable, perhaps intentionally so.

I am getting nothing but selfish brat. One that takes pleasure in thwarting others reasonable intentions. Someone too personally petty to be dangerous, without the job under him.

J
              Reasonable intentions? Ahhh ... I think I see what the problem is ... you have mistook the Game of Thrones thread for the Grey's Anatomy thread ... easily done.

Who had good intentions toward Tyrion? I can't think of anyone ... Jon Snow was initially suspicious. You must be referring to Alliser Thorne
              Last edited by johnnya24; 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Reasonable intentions? Ahhh ... I think I see what the problem is ... you have mistook the Game of Thrones thread for the Grey's Anatomy thread ... easily done.

Who had good intentions toward Tyrion? I can't think of anyone ... Jon Snow was initially suspicious. You must be referring to Alliser Thorne
                He knew his mother had cut a deal to spare Stark in exchange for his confession. Lanisters are supposed to pay their debts, but he renigged on the debt, and publicly disrespected his mother and fiancé so he could watch an execution. Consider also the first time we saw him. He was going to kill someone for doing nothing more than putting him in an awkward situation. Vindictive and self centered are his defining characteristics. Can you even imagine him sacrificing for someone else.

Also, he is not terribly bright. He does not understand protocol and does not want to.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

He knew his mother had cut a deal to spare Stark in exchange for his confession. Lanisters are supposed to pay their debts, but he renigged on the debt, and publicly disrespected his mother and fiancé so he could watch an execution. Consider also the first time we saw him. He was going to kill someone for doing nothing more than putting him in an awkward situation. Vindictive and self centered are his defining characteristics. Can you even imagine him sacrificing for someone else.

Also, he is not terribly bright. He does not understand protocol and does not want to.

J
                  Dude ... you are talking about Joffrey!

I was wondering what was going on there ... that made no sense.

Comment

Dude ... you are talking about Joffrey!

I was wondering what was going on there ... that made no sense.
                    Holy crap. Now all of OJH confused/incorrect/misinformed/false posts make sense.

Comment

Holy crap. Now all of OJH confused/incorrect/misinformed/false posts make sense.
                      Reminds me of a conversations / arguments with my ex

Comment

J
                        So I guess now is not the time to resurrect my Joffrey is much misunderstood stance

Comment

LMAO Just when I was about to chime in about Jays absolute inability to grasp the obvious....I LOVE Tyrion, reminds me of myself, only shorter.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            LMAO Just when I was about to chime in about Jays absolute inability to grasp the obvious....I LOVE Tyrion, reminds me of myself, only shorter.
                            We were discussing the King, not his misunderstood brother.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

We were discussing the King, not his misunderstood brother.

J
                              I think when the name Tyrion was mentioned on several occasion that the penny might have dropped

... in fact Joff wasn't mentioned once in the thread ... the kid can't catch a break.

Pycelle had a point though:

Originally posted by Grand Maester Pycelle
                              Now I serve his son, king Joffrey, may the gods bless his reign. He's a capable young man...

...strong military mind, stern - but sterness in defence of the realm is no vice.

It's far too soon to know what manner of king he will be, but I sense true greatness on the horizon for our new king. True greatness.
                              Last edited by johnnya24; 04-03-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Now you are askimg me to remember the names. Sigh.

"You love your children, it's your one redeeming quality, that and your cheekbones." - Tyrion (Speaking to Cersei) LOL.
                                Didnt the king say this? Did Tyrion have Stark's head cut off?

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X