Buying new phone...advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Why do you say slightly larger is better? Because the screen is bigger? Or some other reason?
    Yeah ... bigger screen, and also because of the larger surface area, it means the phone is thinner (well the Samsung's anyway)

Comment

I was hoping you would chime in on this thread, Johnny.

I have three Windows PCs, two on Windows 7 and one on Vista.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to wait. I need to buy something before opening day, really probably in the next two weeks. When the boss says I need a phone with email, I need a phone with email. (I can probably get them to contribute toward the cost of the phone itself if that becomes an issue for me, but I'm at least starting with the assumption that I'm paying for the phone.)

I've written some emails on my wife's phone. I find it annoying. I've wondered if I would just get used to it eventually, or whether it's fundamentally a problem I have with the app or with the iPhone touch screen itself.

I plan to go to the local AT&T store and try out some phones, but right now I'm starting from almost zero knowledge of what's available, so I wanted to educate myself as much as I could so that I could be a bit more intelligent in the store about what I wanted to look at and what was even a possibility.
      I have to rush out now, so I can't hunt around too much ... I'll have a look when I get home. But you could get a budget Android, and then look to upgrade to something better and more appropriate later on. If you are only using email and surfing, a budget Android should be OK. Once you resell it on ebay, you won't be losing that much.

Also ... don't trust the salesmen ... assume everything is a lie ... they are coached to dump outdated phones on customers first. I have been getting calls from T-Mobile all month trying to get me to upgrade to an inferior phone to the one I already have!

Comment

I think I paid $50 for my android Artrix 2 late last year and like it, but I don't know much by comparison.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Samsung Galaxy II, Mike... I am counting the days till I can upgrade from the Galaxy (Captivate on AT&T).
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Thinking a bit about it ... what about a Blackberry? If you can use the keyboard, this may be the best option. You can easily pick one up second hand on ebay for a bag a beans. I hate blackberry's, but if it's only emails you need, and you don't like onscreen keyboards, this might be the right choice.

I don't know how US networks work, but I'm guessing you can use any unlocked phone on any network ... right?

Better something like this than spending money on an expensive phone you won't use. Then if something really impressive comes along down the line that you feel could be useful, you won't have wasted money.

If you also don't like Blackberry's, then you should be able to get a budget Android for between $75 and $100 brand new.

Edit: do standard cheap blackberry's have GPS and Google maps? I would not pay a dime for an expensive Blackberry. If not, then it will have to be Android or Apple. SDS mentioned the Samsung Captivate ... maybe have a look at that when you go to your dealer ... seems reasonably thin, and with a slide down keyboard ... but I doubt it will be cheap.
            Last edited by johnnya24; 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

If you dont know much about this stuff, I'd go with the iphone because while android phones can be quite nice, IOS is always super slick, fast, and intuitive. I'd get one myself if I didnt hate the monthly fee the carriers want. I'm paying $24/mo after taxes and fees for my Virgin Mobile account and have the option of paying about $56/mo for the iphone/android 4g on Sprint. But I cant talk myself into doing it yet... $32/mo extra is just too much.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                My 24 month contract is up in about 20 days, but I'm not going to upgrade. I'm perfectly content with what my HTC Desire can do. That said, if I was going to upgrade in the near future, I'd wait until Samsung release the S3, and then look for a good deal on the S2. The S2 is a better phone that the iPhone4, and cheaper ... although slightly larger (which is a good thing).

Depending on your home operating system, you might want to wait and look for a phone that will be Windows 8 compatible. Windows 8 is designed to be cross platform compatible, so if you are a Windows user, a Windows 8 mobile might be a great extension for your Home PC. I'm really impressed by what I have seen so far ... Microsoft ahead of the game ... now that's a surprise! When was the last time that could be said. This is the other reason I'm not upgrading right now. I don't wanna commit myself to another 24 months on Android or Apple, and miss out on something really impressive emerging here. I've already used the Lumia 800 and 900, with Windows Mobile 7, and it's a very impressive OS. Windows 8 should be better ... and the cross platform compatible thing could be a real winner for me.

I'll keep playing a waiting game ... now is not the best time to upgrade if you ask me ... the market will move very fast when the next gen of quad core phones come out on mass, and the previous gen will drop in price.

As for the size issue. I've never found this ti be a problem. In fact, I prefer the feel of my HTC in the pocket as opposed to older smaller, but thicker mobiles. Even if I'm wearing tighter trousers, you can't even notice it. The Samsung Galaxy 2 is larger but thinner than the iphone ... and it fits very nicely into the pocket as well IMO.

I would also seriously experiment with the typing on your wife's phone. It doesn't matter which way you cut it, typing on a touch screen can be annoying. It's made easier if you are using a good app i.e. I find making posts on RJ is a real pain in the ass, but writing emails on the gmail app is a bit easier. Something with a slide out keyboard would be a good option if you are going to be writing a lot of emails etc. But these are bulkier, and won't help with your desire for a small feeling phone.

You'd be best going to your local dealer and trying out how some of the slide-out keyboard Android phones feel in your hand. If I were writing a lot of messages, and possibly long messages, that's where I might be looking.
                I have the AT&T Inspire which is very similar to johnny's Desire. Actually it is an extact copy of the HTC Desire HD. This is a great phone though the screen might a bit big for you KS : Display size 4.3 inches. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has not been announced so actual date when that is coming out is unknown. Also the screen on the Galaxy S2 is bigger than the Inspire. The Inspire is a bit old as it came out 1 yr ago. You choice would be the HTC Vivid which does 4G LTE for faster data speeds. It is right now $99.99 on a new contract. The Inspire is $49.99. I agree with Johnny on the build quality of the HTC. A bit heavier, but it feels right where the S2 feels cheap. Go to a store and try these out.
                Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Thinking a bit about it ... what about a Blackberry? If you can use the keyboard, this may be the best option. You can easily pick one up second hand on ebay for a bag a beans. I hate blackberry's, but if it's only emails you need, and you don't like onscreen keyboards, this might be the right choice.

I don't know how US networks work, but I'm guessing you can use any unlocked phone on any network ... right?

Better something like this than spending money on an expensive phone you won't use. Then if something really impressive comes along down the line that you feel could be useful, you won't have wasted money.

If you also don't like Blackberry's, then you should be able to get a budget Android for between $75 and $100 brand new.

Edit: do standard cheap blackberry's have GPS and Google maps? I would not pay a dime for an expensive Blackberry. If not, then it will have to be Android or Apple. SDS mentioned the Samsung Captivate ... maybe have a look at that when you go to your dealer ... seems reasonably thin, and with a slide down keyboard ... but I doubt it will be cheap.
                  I also had 3 Blackberrys. The Curve 8300, Storm I (9530 from Verizon), and Tour (9630 Verizon). Loved them expect for the Storm. If you go BB get the Torch 9810 or Bold 9900. The Bold is a bit expensive at 199, but the Torch is a hybrid keyboard/touchscreen at $99. All BBs right now do not do 4G LTE, but will in the future. I would recommend the Bold if you go that route. The Bold has been their best Berry for a couple years running. Loved the real keyboard and everyone says they have the best. BB also has the best email servers around. Only thing is all data runs through their servers so you can go through a data outage that can last days like the past one did. On the other hand if AT&T data is done you are fine. I had no problems with BB when I had them. Past problems was this year when I moved to the Inspire.
                  Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Super huge caveat emptor with regards to HTC phones. That's what I had before (obviously an older model --- the MyTouch something or other) and it was a crappy piece of crap.
                    Ugh T-Mobile no wonder.

The HTC models that have come after the EVO 4G are a much better build quality.

Comment

I care about web browsing a lot, and GPS to some extent, so I don't think a Blackberry is really what I want.

What I haven't completely decided is whether this is going to be primarily functioning as a portable computer for me (e.g., email, web browsing), in which case I want to be able to customize the heck out of it, or whether it will primarily be a consumer electronics device (e.g., telephone, camera, music, video), in which case I want it to work just right the first time I push the ON button. I think it's going to be more the former, which is why I'm leaning toward something like the Samsung Galaxy S II over an iPhone 4.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I care about web browsing a lot, and GPS to some extent, so I don't think a Blackberry is really what I want.

What I haven't completely decided is whether this is going to be primarily functioning as a portable computer for me (e.g., email, web browsing), in which case I want to be able to customize the heck out of it, or whether it will primarily be a consumer electronics device (e.g., telephone, camera, music, video), in which case I want it to work just right the first time I push the ON button. I think it's going to be more the former, which is why I'm leaning toward something like the Samsung Galaxy S II over an iPhone 4.
                        No problem just remember there are 2 versions of the Galaxy S II. The regular runs on the HSPA+ bands which is basically 3.5G and the S II Skyrocket which is 4G LTE. With you living in Austin now and moving to Houston they are both 4G LTE markets so go with the Skyrocket. The screen on the S II is amazingly excellent. I use my phone now more than my home pc which I would think in time you will also.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                          I have the AT&T Inspire which is very similar to johnny's Desire. Actually it is an extact copy of the HTC Desire HD. This is a great phone though the screen might a bit big for you KS : Display size 4.3 inches. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has not been announced so actual date when that is coming out is unknown. Also the screen on the Galaxy S2 is bigger than the Inspire. The Inspire is a bit old as it came out 1 yr ago. You choice would be the HTC Vivid which does 4G LTE for faster data speeds. It is right now $99.99 on a new contract. The Inspire is $49.99. I agree with Johnny on the build quality of the HTC. A bit heavier, but it feels right where the S2 feels cheap. Go to a store and try these out.
                          I have the first version of the HTC Desire which is the same size as the iPhone. It's has a great rich feel about it with the aluminium surround and grippy rubber back ... as opposed the first Samsung Galaxy which felt a bit plasticy.

If I were to upgrade now it would pure consumerism ... but the choice would be the Galaxy S2. The iPhone 4GS is either really expensive to buy, or comes with stupid plans. I can get £25 per month (maybe £20 if I shop around) for an S2 ... the same plan for an iPhone will cost me £40. That's at least a £360 difference over a 24 month contract ... it's just not that much better.

Sadly the one thing I have really been waiting for is a smartphone with serious battery power ... seems the newer phones are getting worse not better.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                            No problem just remember there are 2 versions of the Galaxy S II. The regular runs on the HSPA+ bands which is basically 3.5G and the S II Skyrocket which is 4G LTE. With you living in Austin now and moving to Houston they are both 4G LTE markets so go with the Skyrocket. The screen on the S II is amazingly excellent. I use my phone now more than my home pc which I would think in time you will also.
                            Do you have to pay extra for 4G? Sadly it will be at least a year before 4G is rolled out here, although, HSPA does give some pretty impressive speeds (especially for just general usage).

HTC Skyrocket for $475.00 new on ebay ... that is a $100 cheaper than the UK

Comment

Sadly the one thing I have really been waiting for is a smartphone with serious battery power ... seems the newer phones are getting worse not better.
                              Actually that is not fully true. The Droid Razr now comes with a 1780 mAh battery which is amazing with the phone being only 7.1 mm - 11 mm (0.28 in) thick. Still 4G LTE eats at a battery, but at least with that size of a battery you can last a good part of the day.

Your prices in the Europe way surpass us. We pay $25 month for 2 GB of data on top of at least another $40 for the cheapest voice plan.

Comment

Do you have to pay extra for 4G? Sadly it will be at least a year before 4G is rolled out here, although, HSPA does give some pretty impressive speeds (especially for just general usage).

HTC Skyrocket for $475.00 new on ebay ... that is a $100 cheaper than the UK
                                No the big 2 have not gone that route YET. They are claiming getting pinched by more data usage so they are dropping the unlimited plans for new users. You can get grandfathered in to keep it. I have HSPA+ here in the Philly area with AT&T. 4G LTE is not available yet and probably will not reach me in the middle of the pine barrens of NJ. I have another year and 1 month left on this contract before I will upgrade.

If I was KS I would resign a 2 yr with AT&T to get the Skyrocket for $199 if he can do that. If not the S II will do him fine.

Oh KS - you can try some of the coupons online and get your Skyrocket cheaper. There is a $100 coupon out there that might work. I used one last year for the Inspire and got $50 off.

Comment

Working...
                                X