No announcement yet.

Buying new phone...advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This probably shows that Steve jobs was a but of a controlling knob ... but interesting nonetheless:

10 Reason Why Steve jobs Would Be Rolling In His Grave

Comment

• This has really been an annoying and silly process...so pre-orders are being taken June 6 yet no release date. But 2 gigs of RAM included.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        This has really been an annoying and silly process...so pre-orders are being taken June 6 yet no release date. But 2 gigs of RAM included.

http://www.androidauthority.com/veri...evealed-92578/
        I'd probably just pay the extra $50 and get the 32Gb model. It will have more sell on value on the second hand market.

Pre-ordering with no release date is pretty normal these days. There is a shortage of the Pebble Blue models worldwide, and some providers (globally) are having to wait. Practically every provider here is logging record numbers of pre-orders, and the TV ads just started last week.

I find it hard to get though 500GB in a month. It's tempting to use it for more hungry activities with the 4G ... but I'd avoid that at all costs ... especially the horror stories I've heard regarding US providers and charges. IMO I'd take the 2GB and 4G combo as a great way to surf fast without having to think about usage, and also to use it as a mobile hotspot.

$250 + Contact ($?? pcm) + Data Usage plan (min $30 pcm)

$970 before the normal contract is even added in ... US consumers really get fleeced.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          $250 + Contact ($?? pcm) + Data Usage plan (min $30 pcm)

$970 before the normal contract is even added in ... US consumers really get fleeced.
          Tell me about it. I saw the Tmobile UK prices and that is insane. 49 pounds for the S III then another 36 pounds a month for unlimited data and 2000 minutes. Wow wish we could have that deal here.
          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Yea, having never owned a smartphone I'm hoping the 2 GB data plan will be sufficient...Verizon 'conveniently' is yanking their double-data offer today right before releasing the S3. Bastards.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I do a fair amount of surfing, use about 5-10 apps, check facebook, and play a couple of social games (scramble, draw something) and I don't ever get remotely close to my 2gig. Unless you are streaming movies or music I think 2g is plenty.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                I do a fair amount of surfing, use about 5-10 apps, check facebook, and play a couple of social games (scramble, draw something) and I don't ever get remotely close to my 2gig. Unless you are streaming movies or music I think 2g is plenty.
                Good to know, thanks. I will stream music but I'll usually be home and so it won't count anyways.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                  Tell me about it. I saw the Tmobile UK prices and that is insane. 49 pounds for the S III then another 36 pounds a month for unlimited data and 2000 minutes. Wow wish we could have that deal here.
                  I'm on T-Moble now ... just released 32GB HTC One X free ... only Ł26 per month (will be Ł23 with redemption) :P

My data is 750MB ... but I'd never exceed that, and T-Mobile don't charge if you go over anyway (unless you are abusing the usage)

Comment

Yea, having never owned a smartphone I'm hoping the 2 GB data plan will be sufficient...Verizon 'conveniently' is yanking their double-data offer today right before releasing the S3. Bastards.
                    Unless you are streaming youtube and something like spotify all the time, you will never get near 2GB. Besides you have potentially 64GB of space to load up as much music as you like ... and I think you get a free 50GB Dropbox for the duration of your contract.

Plus you can easily track your usage and set alerts if you are getting close to your limit.

Comment

Yea, having never owned a smartphone I'm hoping the 2 GB data plan will be sufficient...Verizon 'conveniently' is yanking their double-data offer today right before releasing the S3. Bastards.
                      It's too bad you don't already have a smartphone plan that could take advantage and then be grandfathered in... To be honest, my grandfathered unlimited data plan is about the only thing keeping me with AT&T and that is tenuous based upon their restrictive app policy and pre-loading all their AT&T bloatware that you cannot delete.
                      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        and I think you get a free 50GB Dropbox for the duration of your contract.
                        usage of dropbox would count against the 2gb cap.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                          pre-loading all their AT&T bloatware that you cannot delete.
                          root + custom rom. Problem solved.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• so suddenly I might need a phone.

I've had my sprint account on standby for a while but yesterday they kicked me off standby and back on to my old plan with which I only have an ancient phone to use with as I've been on Virgin Mobile for a while now. Two active accounts is pointless so I've got to pick one going forward. Virgin Mobile is only $24/month including taxes but its only 300 min/month, no nights/weekends, no free mobile to mobile, and the data is throttled and capped and while I'm fine with my phone (Moto Triumph), if I ever want to upgrade to a newer phone they will raise the monthly rate by $10.

My Sprint account is $35/mo with taxes but I'm stuck with an ancient phone that I'm too embarrassed to reveal. For $45/mo I can get a 3g phone like the LG Marquee (otherwise known as the Optimus Black on other carriers) or for $55/mo I can get the Evo 4G LTE (One X), Galaxy S3, or iphone 4s. Normally I would take the iphone without a second thought but it doesnt have LTE and Sprints 3g is slow.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              usage of dropbox would count against the 2gb cap.
                              Yeah ... I only use it on Wifi. Good way to keep info on tap ... and great way to auto upload pictures etc to your PC without having to plug the phone into the computer all the time. I can never be bothered backing up my phone ... this way it does it automatically whenever it detects Wifi. Very handy.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                so suddenly I might need a phone.

I've had my sprint account on standby for a while but yesterday they kicked me off standby and back on to my old plan with which I only have an ancient phone to use with as I've been on Virgin Mobile for a while now. Two active accounts is pointless so I've got to pick one going forward. Virgin Mobile is only $24/month including taxes but its only 300 min/month, no nights/weekends, no free mobile to mobile, and the data is throttled and capped and while I'm fine with my phone (Moto Triumph), if I ever want to upgrade to a newer phone they will raise the monthly rate by $10.

My Sprint account is $35/mo with taxes but I'm stuck with an ancient phone that I'm too embarrassed to reveal. For $45/mo I can get a 3g phone like the LG Marquee (otherwise known as the Optimus Black on other carriers) or for $55/mo I can get the Evo 4G LTE (One X), Galaxy S3, or iphone 4s. Normally I would take the iphone without a second thought but it doesnt have LTE and Sprints 3g is slow.
                                After all the iPhone schilling you've done so far ... you had better get a brand new iPhone 4S on a 24 month contract ... otherwise no-one will listen to a thing you say again

Comment

Working...
                                X