X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davey Jones, RIP

I was surprised no one had posted this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/goss...d-monkees.html

Saw it on Twitter last night. I have been singing Daydream Believer ever since.

Loved watching The Monkees while I was growing up in the 70s. I started getting into the music in the 80s when they made a comeback without Michael Nesmith.

Interestingly Davey Jones was the Philly Daily News a couple of years ago in a spread about Philly's most eligible bachelors.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

1 reply? What's happened to this place? Or are most of you too young to remember Davey?

Edit: Never mind, figured it out....no one had him in the Dead Pool draft, so no one cares. Got it.

Comment

I was in high school when there was a revival of interest in the Monkees (I think MTV or VH1 had started rerunning their show) that led to the Nesmith-less reunion. Some of the girls in my class were really into it.

He was mostly a pretty face, though. Nesmith and Dolenz were the real talents in that band.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Or are most of you too young to remember Davey?
          Yep. The Monkees era was essentially over by the time I started paying attention to music. I enjoy some of the hit songs from their continued radio play and use in movies, etc, but don't have any nostalgic connection to the band members.

Comment

Embarrassingly enough, as I child I assumed that "Daydream Believer" was Anne Murray's song.

Comment

A nice voice, and he added a lot to the mix. Dolenz had a great voice for the material they were playing, but it was better when contrasted to the sweetness of Davey's tones.

And, hey, he was the guy who made David Bowie change his name.

Comment

I loved the Monkees TV show. Liked a lot of their music. Of course I was 13 when the show first aired. I fancied myself a rebel much like they portrayed on the show.

Jones passing at the young age of 66 is on that fringe area of too close to home.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Yep. The Monkees era was essentially over by the time I started paying attention to music. I enjoy some of the hit songs from their continued radio play and use in movies, etc, but don't have any nostalgic connection to the band members.
                  Really? They became pretty big again in 1986-1987, and even spawned a horrific new series "The New Monkees." The first concert I ever went to was the 20-Year Monkee reunion tour at Brendan Byrne Arena in December 1986.

FWIW, Steve, it was posted in the Dead Pool thread when it happened yesterday, and I guess the assumption is anyone who would care is probably reading that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

FWIW, Steve, it was posted in the Dead Pool thread when it happened yesterday, and I guess the assumption is anyone who would care is probably reading that thread.
                    Makes sense. I was just surprised that it did not get its own thread. Just mark my post up to an old man's ramblings....and like Gregg, losing someone 66 hit close to home.

Comment

Makes sense. I was just surprised that it did not get its own thread. Just mark my post up to an old man's ramblings....and like Gregg, losing someone 66 hit close to home.
                      The guy with the locker? Did he live in Oklahoma?
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Plus not everyone follows the thread of death.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                          The guy with the locker? Did he live in Oklahoma?
                          Yep. That's the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Plus not everyone follows the thread of death.
                            I hate that thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X