Trader Mac update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    An Idiot Abroad and the current series, An Idiot Abroad: The Bucket List is truly some of the funniest TV I've ever seen.
    I've got to start watching that...what network carries it here?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Mac, I've actually been thinking of you lately. I've been reading Kosher China by Michael Levy, which tells about his experiences as a Peace Corp teacher in the city of Guiyang. Very entertaining read and gives me a slight idea what you are going through.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I've got to start watching that...what network carries it here?
        The Science Channel, of course!
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
          Mac, I've actually been thinking of you lately. I've been reading Kosher China by Michael Levy, which tells about his experiences as a Peace Corp teacher in the city of Guiyang. Very entertaining read and gives me a slight idea what you are going through.
          I will have to check that book out. If you are interested in that type of book, I would highly recommend books by Peter Hessler. He started out as a peace corps volunteer and later became a news correspondent in Beijing.
          拖裤子,
          放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
            Hey WB! I just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are a few similarities but also many differences between us. First, I am not as big as a "celebrity" as he was just because there are more Westerners in Tianjin than Guiyang. Though I still have people wanting to take my picture from time to time, mostly tourists. We just got back from the Guilin/Yangshuo area of south China and a few people take our pictures. His dog story reminding me of walking by a meat market near Yangshuo where the butcher was shearing a dog with another dog already sheared lying on the table nearby. I think this was the first time a sight in China has actually made me feel nauseous. I have also encountered Chinese college students giving weird Western names to themselves. The worst one I have come across is Adolf. I really wanted to tell him he should change his name. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I more and more enjoy reading books about Westerners in an Asian culture. I just finished reading "Little Princes" which is about a Westerner who goes to volunteer in a Nepal orphanage. I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, 2 more months and I'm back in America! I'll be home for 2 months and then its back to China for another 2 years. I'll spend my summer in TN, MS, NC and of course FL!!!!!!
            拖裤子,
            放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
              Hey WB! I just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are a few similarities but also many differences between us. First, I am not as big as a "celebrity" as he was just because there are more Westerners in Tianjin than Guiyang. Though I still have people wanting to take my picture from time to time, mostly tourists. We just got back from the Guilin/Yangshuo area of south China and a few people take our pictures. His dog story reminding me of walking by a meat market near Yangshuo where the butcher was shearing a dog with another dog already sheared lying on the table nearby. I think this was the first time a sight in China has actually made me feel nauseous. I have also encountered Chinese college students giving weird Western names to themselves. The worst one I have come across is Adolf. I really wanted to tell him he should change his name. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I more and more enjoy reading books about Westerners in an Asian culture. I just finished reading "Little Princes" which is about a Westerner who goes to volunteer in a Nepal orphanage. I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, 2 more months and I'm back in America! I'll be home for 2 months and then its back to China for another 2 years. I'll spend my summer in TN, MS, NC and of course FL!!!!!!
              There's a fad in China where people are getting tattoos of random meaningless English phrases. This is similar when people here get Chinese characters for a tattoo thinking its exotic.

Comment

I am glad things are going well for you and yours.

It would be nice if you could post up some of your everyday experiences every so often for those of us who like to live the adventure through you.

God Bless you and yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  I am glad things are going well for you and yours.

It would be nice if you could post up some of your everyday experiences every so often for those of us who like to live the adventure through you.

God Bless you and yours.
                  Gregg--I already do that quite a bit on Facebook. You should sign up! I just posted a bunch of pics of our vacation in Guilin/Yangshuo. As for life in China, it is always an adventure. You kind of settle into your routine each day. Plus, I work with mostly Americans so my interactions are pretty much the same as if I were living in America.
                  拖裤子,
                  放屁

Comment

before my last trip to Beijing, I read Michael Myers book "The Last Days of Old Beijing" about his life in a Beijing hutong (think old cramped alley-based neighborhood) that was going to get torn down for the Olympics, well worth reading

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                    X