Bizarre Attack on Richard Dawkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre Attack on Richard Dawkins

An article in the Sunday Telegraph attacked Richard Dawkins because certain of his great-great-great-great-great grandfathers 400 years ago may have been involved in the slave trade
    :wtf:

The article by Adam Lusher (check out the strange side-by-side comparison picture):

Telegraph Article

Dawkins response:

Dawkins Blg Response

This has to be one of the most embarrassing and pathetic smear campaigns ever. I'll hazard a guess that if anyone were to look into their heritage, they'd find all manner of rogues and unsavory characters.

You just know that the author's heritage is being examined by about 100 different people as we speak. I'm guessing this is going to be a pretty big own goal.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    An article in the Sunday Telegraph attacked Richard Dawkins because certain of his great-great-great-great-great grandfathers 400 years ago may have been involved in the slave trade
    :wtf:

The article by Adam Lusher (check out the strange side-by-side comparison picture):

Telegraph Article

Dawkins response:

Dawkins Blg Response

This has to be one of the most embarrassing and pathetic smear campaigns ever. I'll hazard a guess that if anyone were to look into their heritage, they'd find all manner of rogues and unsavory characters.

You just know that the author's heritage is being examined by about 100 different people as we speak. I'm guessing this is going to be a pretty big own goal.
    That's the kind of BS I'd expect from Fox News or (on their worse days) the WaPo or NY Times.

To quote a quote cited by one of those commenting on Dawkins' article--

"You cannot hope to bribe or twist,
    thank God! the British journalist.
    But, seeing what the man will do
    Unbribed, there's no occasion to

Humbert Wolfe
    1855-1940"

And he also notes that this applies to "journalists" the world over. Clearly, the "reporter" is trying to imply that Dawkins, a leading atheist, is somehow linked to slavery, and that somehow if he were a believer, he wouldn't be.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Is that the guy from Family Feud? He looked better on TV.

Comment

has anyone ever written a book called 'Richard Dawkins vs Religion the 10 most epic battles'? if not do you think we can get something related to a modern day continuation of The Scopes Trial someday? ...coming to an alternate universe near you!

the Telegraph is either trying to push Dawkins' buttons and cause or sell news, or they are in a fight or debate and it's spilling out.

although when you google Dawkins and famous feuds i get a gameshow where the host has kissed more women in the world than any other man. i want someone to go back and watch every single episode and count how many women Richard Dawkins (the family feud host) has kissed. it has to be a guiness book of world record. i thnk we need to acknowledge this great achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          Is that the guy from Family Feud? He looked better on TV.
          That was my thought as well, Lucky. I looked at the article and said, "Man, he's really aged badly."

"Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
          X