any of them over Obama
    0%
    Obama
    0%

You're missing an option:

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      quick question - In major elections how many people choose none of the above in your country?

It is frustrating/apalling/frustrating/embarrassing/??? how few people actually vote in elections in the US

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        quick question - In major elections how many people choose none of the above in your country?

It is frustrating/apalling/frustrating/embarrassing/??? how few people actually vote in elections in the US
        I think it should be compulsory to vote. Then it is a perfectly valid option to spoil a ballot.

Everyone is legally obliged to fill out the census form every 10 years ... but not required to vote?

Comment

I think it should be compulsory to vote. Then it is a perfectly valid option to spoil a ballot.

Everyone is legally obliged to fill out the census form every 10 years ... but not required to vote?
          The Constitution requires that a census be taken. It provides for the right to vote, but does not make it obligatory. Good citizenship requires that we vote. It is one of our most important rights, and we cheapen it by not exercising it.

From among the GOP candidates listed, I would have to vote Romney. Newt would be the nuclear option, and might ensure that the GOP would not regain the White House for decades, but the responsible choice would be Mitt. He might actually work to compromise on some issues. And that's what we need in Washington. Some cooperation and compromise.

Comment

If the only other choices are Newt, Santorum, or Paul, I'm with you. "None of the above" is preferable.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              The Constitution requires that a census be taken. It provides for the right to vote, but does not make it obligatory. Good citizenship requires that we vote. It is one of our most important rights, and we cheapen it by not exercising it.
              I wasn't necessarily taking about the USA, although I believe some US states demanded compulsory voting before the constitution.

I like the Australian system of compulsory voting. If people are legally required to vote, then it forces them to take at least a cursory interest in the debates and issues.

Comment

If I had to vote for a GOP candidate I'd vote Romney. To me he's a more liberal George H.W. Bush. Barring Greece and Iran causing our economy to stagnate, Pres. Obama should be re-elected.

Comment

boy, ron paul can't get a break anywhere. lol
                  ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                    boy, ron paul can't get a break anywhere. lol
                    Yeah, I noticed that too. If forced at gunpoint to choose one of the four remaining GOP candidates, wow, I guess I'd have to go with Paul because at least he'd have no shot of passing his agenda.

Comment

jude baldo is voting for romney over obama? i call bullsh!t.
                      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

See his post in the thread. I think he just meant that he'd vote Romney over the other GOP options.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          I would favor legislation that mandated voting in some form or other. Australia imposes fines on people that don't vote. Guess what? Voter turnout routinely hits 95%. The US consistently has some of the lowest voter turnouts in the world.
                          I'm guessing that there might be a constituency of the electorate who would not be happy with this

We can't even get people to make their votes in the VD polls!!

In the UK there are a lot of conflicted Tories over the issue of Scottish Independence. On the one hand they oppose the break up of the Union on traditional grounds. On the other, they would decimate an electoral power base of the Labour Party. Right now traditional conservatism is winning over party politics ... but for how long.

Comment

At this point I cannot choose between Obama and Romney. Obama over Newt and Santorum.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I was voting on my phone and did not see the Obama option. Plus I was misled by the poll title so I didn't assume there would be Obama. But you could have also read my post explaining my selection.

Comment

Working...
                              X