Whitney Houston passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Way better to burn out than to fade away. Again, just my opinion.
    That's just a cool line from a song.. It's pretty stupid in reality.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I own no Houston music. I still think she had one of the best female voices in history. I would challenge you to name 10 better.
      i can easily pick 10 that are better from the opera/classical genre. am i allowed to venture there? i'm pretty sure that with only a bit of a stretch i can find 10 better in jazz/blues. can i venture there? if you stuck to "pop singers since 1980" then i might have to stretch more, but i'd guess i'd find 10 better.

as elD says, though, it's all subjective.
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Do I plan on telling my child it's better to burn out than to fade away? I cannot imagine how something like that would come up.

I was responding to the notion that Whitney Houston is "wasted talent". Seems like she did pretty damn well with that talent to me. Did she die too early? Yeah, I guess.
        I think a better way to put it would be that certain pop stars should bow out gracefully rather than continuing beyond a point in time when they no longer have any relevance. Pop music has a sell-by-date, and is so tied to a place and time, that careers are usually short, and comebacks are rarely successful, except as nostalgia trips from older fans.

However, I would say that ego gets in the way of common sense more often that not ... and crack cocaine always gets in the way of common sense.

Comment

This is one of my favorite questions-

Name a rock/pop/soul star that retired before he/she/they became a cartoon? and ending a career with death doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

Name a rock/pop/soul star that retired before he/she/they became a cartoon? and ending a career with death doesn't count.
            Bill Withers
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Ray Hildebrand

Comment

Does Mick Taylor count?
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Does the fact that none of those three are anything close to a houehold name count?
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Way better to burn out than to fade away. Again, just my opinion.
                    When you're no longer at the pinnacle of your profession, I'll be asking you why you're not dead yet.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

Cat Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                        i can easily pick 10 that are better from the opera/classical genre. am i allowed to venture there? i'm pretty sure that with only a bit of a stretch i can find 10 better in jazz/blues. can i venture there? if you stuck to "pop singers since 1980" then i might have to stretch more, but i'd guess i'd find 10 better.

as elD says, though, it's all subjective.
                        I would be interested to to see your list.

Comment

About a year ago my wife and I went to see Roger Waters perform The Wall. It was outstanding. We had a great time. I am glad he did not retire.

Comment

Joe Strummer died too young (age 50, congenital heart defect), but was a good example of someone who stayed in music while not trying to be who he was at 20.

I thought Iggy Pop was brilliant opposite Tom Waits in the movie Coffee and Cigarettes (at age 56), pretty good in Dead Man too.

I'm glad R. L. Burnside stuck with music long enough to produce the terrific "A Ass Pocket of Whiskey" at age 70.
                            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Pop music is a bit different than other kinds of music though ... Pink Floyd will always sound relevant. But pure pop music:

Diana Ross had some pretty big hits in the 80's, which is impressive considering she start in 1959 ... and that was essentially the third part of her career. And she looked pretty good last night for a nearly 70 year old woman ... hard to believe she had to wait all this time for a lifetime achievement award, and then barely gets a mention at the awards ... unlike seemingly every mediocre country music star alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                About a year ago my wife and I went to see Roger Waters perform The Wall. It was outstanding. We had a great time. I am glad he did not retire.
                                Good call, my wife said it was the best concert she's ever seen.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X