Tallahassee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tallahassee?

Has anyone here spent much time in Tallahassee? I may have a job offer there that pays a stupid amount of money, but it would involve moving from San Francisco with my wife and baby.

I'm trying not to be all San Francisco-y, but from what little I've heard of the city, it sounds kind of like a cultural wasteland unless you're into FSU football, and I've gotten a couple mentions that it might have a little too much of the old-South attitudes to be friendly to my family (I'm white, my wife is black, we're Jewish).

It's not like we're desperate for the job or the money, but... it's really a lot, enough that I would do it if it was just me, but it's not.

Opinions?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I was there from 1995 thru 1999....so it might've changed.

it's definitely a southern town without a ton to do outside of FSU-related stuff. There are some cool things within an hour drive or so, but most of the locals live in the woods somewhere (it's just not very practical to live near the school -- too many kids and too many parties, etc.); although since it's a college town, the locals seemed pretty tolerant., from what I remember.

Comment

So, how can there be a junkie living in sf that I haven't met?
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        So, how can there be a junkie living in sf that I haven't met?
        He doesn't frequent those type of bars.

Comment

Fresno, you want to be an ump for our baseball league? You get to wear a top hat and smoke a cigar!

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            So, how can there be a junkie living in sf whose wife I haven't met?
            Fixed.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

actually he might know my wife. she gets around a lot more than I do. if he likes jazz...

Comment

SF to Tallahassee? That's 15 degrees of separation from culture. Tallahassee is southern Georgia as far as lifestyle goes. Beaches are great to get to, but if you like the comforts of what's available in SF, you'll hate Talllahassee because none of them are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  SF to Tallahassee? That's 15 degrees of separation from culture. Tallahassee is southern Georgia as far as lifestyle goes. Beaches are great to get to, but if you like the comforts of what's available in SF, you'll hate Talllahassee because none of them are there.
                  68 Starbucks in SF

10 Starbucks in Tallahassee (2 on Florida State Campus)

Comment

You're there for Government or Education as there isn't anything else. Leon County schools are decent, but not great. It really is an isolated area as you're ~2 hrs from Jacksonville and 2 hrs from Pensacola. The airport has relationships with Atlanta and Charlotte for US Air but that's really it so travel can be a bit of a bitch.

Comment

Top story on the Tallahasee Democrat (newspaper) site: Apalachicola excited to host Swimsuit Illustrated crew, models
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

The do have some nice museums around that area, so it's not a complete wasteland. Even a Shakespeare festival. Close to the ocean. It actually votes Democratic most of the time, so the politics may not be as extreme as other areas of the deep south. The Apalachicola National Forest is nearby.

I mean, it's going to be a real curtural shock. You certainly need to visit before deciding. But it's not Dogpatch.
                        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          Top story on the Tallahasee Democrat (newspaper) site: Apalachicola excited to host Swimsuit Illustrated crew, models
                          Well, Florida does sort of look like a penis....
                          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                          X