Computer Hell--Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
    I used to use Avast but switched to AVG to appease the network at work. I will consider adding the other packages suggested here.
    whats the deal with your network?
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      whats the deal with your network?
      Anti-virus software is mandatory to check e-mail / web resources (paycheque, school site) remotely. Avast not recognized/supported, AVG recognized/supported.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Anti-virus software is mandatory to check e-mail / web resources (paycheque, school site) remotely. Avast not recognized/supported, AVG recognized/supported.
        got it. I used AVG at one time but switched to Avast and have stuck with them for a few years now.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Thanks to all of you for helping me as well...my wife's computer suddenly started bogging down, and then all sorts of pop-up started running wild. The teenager had been doing things on there he shouldn't have...little twerp.

Had to do the system restore and then download and run malware bytes from safe mode...2 hours and counting now, 141 infections found so far.

Edit to add: Up to 2 hours 27 minutes, and 174 infections. WOOT!
          Last edited by Hornsby; 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
            Great that you're up and running again.

Now you're into the world of prevention.

1. Anti-Virus
            Download Microsoft Secuity Essentials. It's actually pretty good. And it's free. If you want to pay for a product I heartily recommend ESET NOD32.

Whichever you choose, install them and fun a full system scan immediately.

2. Browser
            Don't know which version of Internet Explorer you're using, but a permanent move to Firefox or Chrome can only benefit you. Either one is excellent and they'll import all your favourites/bookmarks for you. Then delete that little Internet Explorer icon and don't use it again.

3. Adblock
            Whether you've installed Firefox or Chrome, install the AdBlock extension. This is a little program that sits in your browser and stops ads from loading. Many infections are caused by little ads that say something like "You've got something wrong with your PC: click "FIX" to fix it!!!" and then put some nasty thing on your computer if you click it.

3. Anti-malware stuff
            Spybot Search & Destroy (install and run scan)
            Malwarebytes (install and run scan)

4. Computer Housecleaning
            Download and install CC Cleaner. It's a fairly idiotproof cleanup program for your pc. Good practice to run it every while, say weekly or even monthly.
            1. Will do. I like the part that says "free".
            2. I've been using Firefox for a couple of years and will look into the AdBlock extension.
            3. I have Spybot but probably haven't run it often enough. I'll look into malwarebytes.
            4. Will do.

I noticed that nobody recommended Norton or McAfee. Any particular reason?
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

My computer guy who rebooted my dead computer last year swears that stuff doesn't work better than the free stuff - I don't want to believe it but I keep hearing that...
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

had this computer 2 or 3 years with no antivirus. even disable the standard firewall and windows defender (not updated) from time to time and haven't had a problem yet. that said i think i will do my first system backup after reading this. i just make every unknown program ask permission first. the standard security on vista is a big step up from 98.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  I noticed that nobody recommended Norton or McAfee. Any particular reason?
                  1. They are not free.
                  2. They are resource hogs.

Comment

1. They are not free.
                    2. They are resource hogs.
                    In fact, it's even worse. Both tools are so crummily designed that if you want to uninstall them you need download a separate tool from the vendor because their own uninstall programs don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                      In fact, it's even worse. Both tools are so crummily designed that if you want to uninstall them you need download a separate tool from the vendor because their own uninstall programs don't work.
                      I've never had that problem...that I know of. One of the first things I do for friends is remove the Norton/McAfee trial version and put AVG on.

Comment

I've been a big fan of AVG until its last incarnation. My computer's getting pretty old now (got it in 2004) and since I installed the latest version of AVG I've noticed a slowness in my computer that didn't exist before. Once I go to Task Manager and shut down all the crap AVG is running it gets better, but otherwise I'm left frustrated with how long eeeeverything takes to load.

Spybot and AdAware are pretty awesome at keeping your on-line life safe though.

Comment

I love my Mac. That is all.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            I've been a big fan of AVG until its last incarnation. My computer's getting pretty old now (got it in 2004) and since I installed the latest version of AVG I've noticed a slowness in my computer that didn't exist before. Once I go to Task Manager and shut down all the crap AVG is running it gets better, but otherwise I'm left frustrated with how long eeeeverything takes to load.
                            I'm not surprised. Developers are not making software with a 2004 machine in mind.

I know Avast allows you to disable any of the seven "shields" so that may be an idea for you to try... just enable the most important ones.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              You use Avast instead?
                              I'll have to try it out when I get back home

Comment

Working...
                              X