Perception of what a librarian does....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    Oh, no bluster at all, Mith. It's just a job that encourages far too much education for the actual tasks required. That being said, there's also a world of difference between an advanced researcher and a children's librarian.
    An MLS can be finished in one year so i don't think there's too much education required for what the job entails, because there is quite a lot to know and do if you're a reference librarian, and even moreso if you catalog..and much moreso if you're in director.

Let's face it the job of librarian has been ripe for poking fun at for a long, long time and based on the posts here, is still a profession that is easy to ridicule. As I've said before, until one actually knows what a librarian does, the comments reek of ignorance. Not directing this last sentence at Bob but just a general statement.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I'm pretty sure if I walked into my library no one would be ripping the librarian. If I were in a conversation with someone and they said they were a librarian I would say "oh, that's nice" with mostly positive feelings. If I were in a conversation with someone and they said "I'm a librarian and no one understands me and the work is really hard and very few people could do it." I might be tempted to rip them.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        I'm pretty sure if I walked into my library no one would be ripping the librarian. If I were in a conversation with someone and they said they were a librarian I would say "oh, that's nice" with mostly positive feelings. If I were in a conversation with someone and they said "I'm a librarian and no one understands me and the work is really hard and very few people could do it." I might be tempted to rip them.
        If a librarian I just met made that comment to me, I might rip them too.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I have a different perception of a librarian.

"Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
            I have a different perception of a librarian.

According to ezeagle, i might look like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              According to ezeagle, i might look like that.
              Hey - I hear she has a MLS.
              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• excuse me while i go have a fap...

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                I have a different perception of a librarian.

"Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Good thing I'm not an academic librarian

Comment

• Did you hire her?
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

Did you hire her?
                        Does she have an MLS?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Does she have an MLS?
                          Mighty Large Stack
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                          X