No announcement yet.

Feeding Your Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's news to me but i guess there is a thing called Kleiber's law. http://beholders.org/mind/scienceand...eartbeats.html

i didn't think how it relates to avians.

Comment

the funny thing is that the record lifespans are recorded with human interference. for example a wolf thats totally on top of it's game and pack, and gets all the best parts of a kill, heart, kidney, liver might live to 13 in yellowstone park (similar to a dog living as a pet); or jaguar wandering to Texas in chronic renal failure of similar age; or even just a fox which could live to 12 in captivity but only average 2 years in the wild. we wipe out nature wholesale, but we also keep it alive longer than it ever would on it's natural own.

it makes you wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Me too.

I was so hoping you were enjoying/commenting on my reference to Grandma's potroast. Still the funniest story that has ever been posted in RJ!
        hahaha I do enjoy seeing the reference from time to time. I shared that little story with my daughters boyfriend over Thanksgiving dinner. Sadistic i know.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          The separation anxiety is a difficult problem. I think they worry if you are ever coming back. They don't seem to sense time too well.
          Yeah, that is totally his issue. He totally wigs out when I leave and when I come back, he explodes with insane joy. And he's a dog that can jump. I mean, jump to my face-level (I'm a short guy, but then he is a little dog), Boing! Boing! like a kid on a trampoline. It is hilarious.

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          Here's something...I had a setter that I would have to leave at home by herself from morning to late afternoon sometime. I'd always leave her food in her bowl. She would never eat that food until I got back. I guess she wanted to make sure I was coming back before disposing of all her rations.
          My dog does the same, but he has started to nibble a bit, and I think that is because I stopped feeding him in the morning as per my trainer's suggestion. The idea was that if I didn't feed him in the morning, he'd have less ammo for depositing on the floor. So far, it's not really working as intended, but it's only been a few days.

I'm not too worried about the chill in the garage. I live in California and I only leave him there during the day, and he has a couch and a dogloo which is pretty toasty. Still, the little bugger could have the run of the house, with my cats, if he'd just hold onto his mud.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            It's amazing that parrots and cockatoos can live so long.
            My cockatoo was supposedly 2 years old when I got him. I had him for 17 years when he died. I wonder if they lied about his age?

I named him Doc Holliday. I taught him to raise his wings when I said "stick em up." I would say "in the slammer" and he would go into his cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              My cockatoo was supposedly 2 years old when I got him. I had him for 17 years when he died. I wonder if they lied about his age?

I named him Doc Holliday. I taught him to raise his wings when I said "stick em up." I would say "in the slammer" and he would go into his cage.
              some good advice in here - I'd recommend LJ's post about trying to get the dog to realize that you're coming back. In a related vein a vet once told me never to make a big deal about your return ... there is a temptation to walk in the door & immediately give your attention to the dog ... to reinforce the message that you'll be coming & going & it's no big deal, just come in & ignore the dog for the first minute or two (probably not possible at the start); if you have to tho, keep your voice low, don't bend down to him ... even leave again for a few minutes. and then again. The lesson is that you'll be coming & going ... sometimes he'll get to come along, sometimes not.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                some good advice in here - I'd recommend LJ's post about trying to get the dog to realize that you're coming back. In a related vein a vet once told me never to make a big deal about your return ... there is a temptation to walk in the door & immediately give your attention to the dog ... to reinforce the message that you'll be coming & going & it's no big deal, just come in & ignore the dog for the first minute or two (probably not possible at the start); if you have to tho, keep your voice low, don't bend down to him ... even leave again for a few minutes. and then again. The lesson is that you'll be coming & going ... sometimes he'll get to come along, sometimes not.
                Yeah, I heard this same advice months ago and I have been following it religiously. It doesn't seem to be working with him. He is a little less barky (the only time he barks is when I leave him) and whiney when I depart, but he still ALWAYS pees or poos on the floor while I'm gone, even if it's only for an hour or so, even if he went right before I left. When I'm home all day, he goes once when I walk him in the morning and again at night for his second walk, so I know he can hold it, so it's not about that. I think he freaks out when he's alone and has to go, more as a message than anything. He may be telling me that he is mad at me for leaving, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Comment

I am confused? Why did you quote me and then post the above?

It would make more sense if you left my quote out since my post had nothing to do feeding dogs (it did have everything to do with the quote that I was responding to).

I can only assume that you might have been chiding me for being off topic? Then again that would not make sense as this thread was originally posted about dog feeding and not dog behavior. Thus you would be off topic just like me. So it must be something else?

Do you dislike birds?

Comment

you're overanalyzing this Gregg ... I simply meant to click "Reply" but instead clicked on "Reply With Quote" ... and early on a Sunday morning I can't be held accountable for pretty much anything I post anyway ...
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

you're overanalyzing this Gregg ... I simply meant to click "Reply" but instead clicked on "Reply With Quote" ... and early on a Sunday morning I can't be held accountable for pretty much anything I post anyway ...
                      Thank you.

This is why I asked the question...I was confused. So I thought I would go to the source.

Comment

Birds are really vulnerable to smoking and cigarette smokers. it's the efficient way they process oxygen. major heart damage. canarys last like 2-3 years in a smoking environment. cockatails longer,and cockatoos even longer. ..so if you get a cockatoo that has been lied about it's age and dies earlier, chances are it lived previously with a smoker.

but that also means it lived a good life on someones shoulder. even if they smoked cigarettes a lot.. arrrggg ::.pirate::

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          Birds are really vulnerable to smoking and cigarette smokers. it's the efficient way they process oxygen. major heart damage. canarys last like 2-3 years in a smoking environment. cockatails longer,and cockatoos even longer. ..so if you get a cockatoo that has been lied about it's age and dies earlier, chances are it lived previously with a smoker.

but that also means it lived a good life on someones shoulder. even if they smoked cigarettes a lot.. arrrggg ::.pirate::
                          First time Nullnor has used a capital letter ... can someone who lives near the Bermuda Circle check and see that he's OK?

Comment

if you want to bet on the future, and stem cell treatments for your pets, the best course is to worry about kidneys before heart.

i was wrong to criticize stem cell treatments.

..often we talk about how medical science will prolong our life. but you have to get past regulations first. yet, there are no regulations for animals. they get the treatments first. if i wanted to get stem cell kidney treatments for my cat right now, it would be $2,000 per kidney right now at NY animal medical center. ..not sure tho if they can regenerate nephrons yet. but eventually everyone will.

so if you own a young pet, it could live a lot longer than you think, with todays science... and someday you will too; not matter what we feed ourselves.

Comment

imagine that. an animal lover on the same side as science. ..amateurs

edit: trying to link fanactic animal advocates with religous ones.. doesn't work does it?

so much for alpo.
                              Last edited by ; 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

johnnya24 , your callin is still just an instigator. lol... your'e like switzerland dude. but it's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X