Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Yorker Subscription -- Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yorker Subscription -- Is it worth it?

I've been reading voraciously since I was recently given an iPad as a gift (my father rocks my socks off -- I tried to refuse it, but he wouldn't let me). With so many reading options available on one device, it's a little appalling how much my interest in reading has been quickly rekindled. I've downloaded a few novels (many of the classics are free, although I did splurge on the new Stephen King novel), but I'm also interested in diversifying my reading experience above and beyond my comfort zone.

Thus the interest in The New Yorker. I've been a passing fan over the years -- reading whenever they've had great columns on film auteurs or the entertainment industry in general -- but in the past two years or so, a lot of their other columns have really struck a chord (mostly their political insights, but they also have a deft touch with human interest like few other pieces I've read). Basically, I think there's a chance I may be growing into the target audience for The New Yorker. (Yes, you are allowed to mock me for not coming around to it sooner.)

For those of you who are fans and/or already subscribe, is it worth the $60 for the yearly online subscription? What can I get out of a New Yorker subscription in that year that I can't get anywhere else?

Thanks for any and all help (and also for judging me, lol).

I don't judge you for your slow acceptance of The New Yorker-- I judge you for referring to monkeys with cameras as "auteurs"

I think you've already summed up what The New Yorker gives you-- excellent political coverage, some good investigative stuff, great coverage of the arts (and movies ), pretty much universally good writing. It's worth the $60.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
      I don't judge you for your slow acceptance of The New Yorker-- I judge you for referring to monkeys with cameras as "auteurs"

I think you've already summed up what The New Yorker gives you-- excellent political coverage, some good investigative stuff, great coverage of the arts (and movies ), pretty much universally good writing. It's worth the $60.
      You were precisely the person I was hoping to respond (I almost titled the thread: "Dear Bob.") Thanks for the advice, man.

Comment

We've been a New Yorker house for ages, so much so that I have a pile of unread ones going back 3 years that I still dip into. We haven't subscribed in 2 years to the print copy, but my wife just did this weekend (for $48 I think) so that she could get the ipad version.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
        X