The 'Near Poor'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Near Poor'

Deserving of its own thread, let's see if the Republican candidates talk about this in their next debate.

A new Census Bureau measure denotes households pulled out of poverty by benefits or closer to it by certain expenses, and a count suggests they are far more numerous than previously understood.

Perhaps the most startling differences between the old measure and the new involves data the government has not yet published, showing 51 million people with incomes less than 50 percent above the poverty line. That number of Americans is 76 percent higher than the official account, published in September. All told, that places 100 million people — one in three Americans — either in poverty or in the fretful zone just above it.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

F**K those people anyway..The RICH people make this country go baybee..don't you know that!!!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

If you are poor in the country it's your own fault not some corporation. How about some personal accountability?

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
        If you are poor in the country it's your own fault not some corporation. How about some personal accountability?
        A lot of ignorant stuff gets said in this place but this right here could take the cake.

I just had 8 friends that were laid off at my company. Please explain to me how it is going to be their fault for being poor if they don't have a job 6 months from now or are very underemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          A lot of ignorant stuff gets said in this place but this right here could take the cake.

I just had 8 friends that were laid off at my company. Please explain to me how it is going to be their fault for being poor if they don't have a job 6 months from now or are very underemployed.
          J, arguing with this guy is a fool's errand. I had him on ignore at the old site (the only poster I've ignored since joining RJ), and it didn't take many posts from him to put him back.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Get another job

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

You can't argue with stupid ... so it's best not to try ... you will only upset yourself for no good reason. This I've learnt the hard way

Comment

The "ignore" function can be a great stress reliever. There are a couple of folks I don't have to read anymore, and it helps brighten the day.

Roto Rooter, do you really believe that "it's your own fault" stuff, or are you just trying to get a reaction from some of the other posters?

Comment

Get another job
                  I guess you missed the "underemployed" part of my sentence. If you're going to call my friends lazy asses because they can't find another job in this market, you can find another site.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    The "ignore" function can be a great stress reliever. There are a couple of folks I don't have to read anymore, and it helps brighten the day.

Roto Rooter, do you really believe that "it's your own fault" stuff, or are you just trying to get a reaction from some of the other posters?
                    Both.

Comment

So we are at the point where saying get another job is reason to be banned?
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Too many people don't want to do certain jobs because it's "below" them, so they rather complain that the man is keeping them down instead of providing for themselves.

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        So we are at the point where saying get another job is reason to be banned?
                        LoL the powers that be always bitch out here when an opposing view gets to them.

Comment

LoL the powers that be always bitch out here when an opposing view gets to them.
                          You have to realize you are in hostile territory here and probably tone it down a notch if you want to be heard.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Too many people don't want to do certain jobs because it's "below" them, so they rather complain that the man is keeping them down instead of providing for themselves.

Actually your statement is ignorant because even if everyone wanted a job there wouldn't be enough jobs for everyone. There are approximately 4 million job openings while there are approximately 13 million who are unemployed. This is according to a recent finding by the BLS.

Finally, the view that those students are wearing terrorist scarves IS ignorant not an opposing point of view.

Comment

Underemployed means you have a job below your skillset.

If you are completely ignorant to the point your posts are either obvious trolls or the intent is clearly to derail a conversation, you are not welcome here. That rule has never changed whether Byron & Bob were running the show or I was.

Both of you have been around long enough to know this so you can drop the acts.

Comment

Working...
                              X