Decertification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buh-bye season:

NEW YORK – The 2011-12 NBA season appears to be over before it starts.

The National Basketball Players Association, saying the collective bargaining process has "completely broken down," served notice to the NBA on Monday that they plan to dissolve and pursue antitrust lawsuits against the league for the 137-day lockout.

"The players feel they're not prepared to accept any ultimatum," NBPA executive director Billy Hunter said. "We think it's extremely unfair to give (players the ultimatum) that they accept (the owners') proposal or roll back to 47%" from a 50-50 split of basketball-related income.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      buh-bye season:

NEW YORK – The 2011-12 NBA season appears to be over before it starts.

The National Basketball Players Association, saying the collective bargaining process has "completely broken down," served notice to the NBA on Monday that they plan to dissolve and pursue antitrust lawsuits against the league for the 137-day lockout.

"The players feel they're not prepared to accept any ultimatum," NBPA executive director Billy Hunter said. "We think it's extremely unfair to give (players the ultimatum) that they accept (the owners') proposal or roll back to 47%" from a 50-50 split of basketball-related income.
      http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...ver/51198288/1
      Ugh, dammit. I need my NBA! I need my NBA fantasy league! This sucks.

Comment

It looks pretty grim. For the Union, I cannot imagine how they could have played it any worse. What boneheads. The NFLPA showed how to do this earlier this year. Were they even paying attention.

The Owners gave their big concession a month ago, and I am unconvinced they players even know it. At the end, Stern gave the Union a contract he would have real trouble getting the owners to sign, and the Union turned it down flat. This does not bode well for them in court next year. Of course, the owners have their own issues, but most of them are in public. For some reason no one wants to believe they are real.

Here is an outline of the proposal that was rejected.

Favor Union:
        1. Min Team salary rises from 85% to 90% after 2 seasons.
        2. A new Mid LevelExemption (2.5Mil for 2yrs) for teams just below the cap.
        3. One amnesty candidate each year.
        4. NBPA can opt out after 6 yrs.
        5. Salary of waived players can stretched.

Favors Management
        1. Basketball Related Income cut to 50-50.
        2. Tax paying teams' Mid Level Exemption reduce to 3M for 3yrs.
        3. Increased tax, e.g. $3.25 for $1 from 1 to 1, when team salary over 15M-20M.
        4. Length of contracts reduce by 1 yr.
        5. Annual increment of salary reduces to 3.5% and rookies salaries cut by 12%.
        6. Tax paying teams can't acquire player via sign-and-trade.

In terms of money, its stacked for the owners compared to the last contract. That was expected.

In terms of competitiveness, not a bad one, at least from fans point of view. More dynamic, more competitive and less deadlocked players. For the big stars, it would make huge contracts harder, but midlevel players would have it good.

It will take almost an act of Congress to end this lockout. I do not think the players yet realize it. Also, the good overseas jobs have been taken.

I still hold small hope for a final counter offer, but it will also be a take it or leave it type. Any dickering would be tight.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Dont expect this to be reported anywhere. Matt Hapring, former Captain of the Utah Jazz (retired).

mharpring15: read the NBA proposal- Not only would i vote yes, i would be calling all my friends around the league to do the same.

The Union rejected the proposal for the players, then dissolved. Lawsuits were filed in California and Minnesota, with more likely to come. Stern has formally given an update to the owners, who do not have any internal talks scheduled. While it is still possible to save a season, nothing is on the horizon but court dates. It seems fairly clear that many of the owners feel that last offer was too good, and are relieved it was rejected.

The NBA held a 20-minute conference call Thursday to update its owners on the state of the labor situation, according to an ownership source.

Call back in a month. Something might happen then. The first week of January would be about the last chance for any season.

J
          Last edited by onejayhawk; 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            It seems fairly clear that many of the owners feel that last offer was too good, and are relieved it was rejected.
            How can any owner feel that the proposal was too good? Just by reducing the players' take from 57% to 50%, the owners are guaranteed an extra $350M. The fact that some owners think that is not enough shows that they have no interest in having a season.

Comment

Dont expect this to be reported anywhere. Matt Hapring is Captain of the Utah Jazz.
              Um, Matt Harpring played his last game on April 27, 2009. Geez, at least try to get the simple facts correct.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                Um, Matt Harpring played his last game on April 27, 2009. Geez, at least try to get the simple facts correct.
                You are right. My bad. The tweet is real, but he is the former Captain of the Utah Jazz.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

How can any owner feel that the proposal was too good? Just by reducing the players' take from 57% to 50%, the owners are guaranteed an extra $350M. The fact that some owners think that is not enough shows that they have no interest in having a season.
                  It is very simple, they feel they cannot break even at 50/50. The disparity of local and regional contracts is large, and the teams do not share them. So the top team, thought to be the Lakers, might have an extra $40-$60 Million to spend on player salaries, compared to the last team. So it is not the owners, as such, but the rich versus the struggling. We get the same problem all the time in baseball.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

It is very simple, they feel they cannot break even at 50/50. The disparity of local and regional contracts is large, and the teams do not share them. So the top team, thought to be the Lakers, might have an extra $40-$60 Million to spend on player salaries, compared to the last team. So it is not the owners, as such, but the rich versus the struggling. We get the same problem all the time in baseball.
                    That is a revenue sharing problem, not a players/owners problem. Sure, the owners would love it if the players gave up another $100M. But they could solve that problem themselves if the rich teams would share that $100M with the poorer teams. Even with the owners' (biased) financial numbers, the league as a whole would be profitable at a 50-50 split. The fact that they still want more puts the blame primarily on their shoulders.

Comment

That is a revenue sharing problem, not a players/owners problem. Sure, the owners would love it if the players gave up another $100M. But they could solve that problem themselves if the rich teams would share that $100M with the poorer teams. Even with the owners' (biased) financial numbers, the league as a whole would be profitable at a 50-50 split. The fact that they still want more puts the blame primarily on their shoulders.
                      Exactly. Even with only using BRI accounting, the league makes money. Just not at the fat margins that some owners want. Damn I miss the NBA. Especially with UCLA hoops in a free fall. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                      X