• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of a Tough Day

So, my wife's day today...

10:20 - 11am-- Meeting with John Boehner

1:00-1:25-- Meeting with Mitch McConnell

Th topic of both meetings? Protection and enforcement of civil rights for the LGBT community. Talk about delivering a message that the other guy in the meeting doesn't want to hear She has others sprinkled in today with more receptive audiences like Mark Warner, Steny HOyer, etc, but those two kinda stand out, lol.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

A profile in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said, "On both sides of the aisle, Boehner earns praise for candor and an ability to listen."[24] The Plain Dealer says Boehner "has perfected the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Comment

Have her bring a pack of smokes & a bottle of Jim Beam to the other

Comment

Good luck to the wife.

My wife has to put up with me all day today. Nowhere near the high profile, but challenging in its own way.

Please ask here to tell McConnell to forget about the $50.

Comment

interesting to hear what if any feedback she gets from them.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            A profile in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said, "On both sides of the aisle, Boehner earns praise for candor and an ability to listen."[24] The Plain Dealer says Boehner "has perfected the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable.
            That has always been the essence of a good politician, the ability to listen, process, and to convey an opposing point of view without offense. I can see why the lot of us are not in politics, excepting hizzonor.

j
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              That has always been the essence of a good politician, the ability to listen, process, and to convey an opposing point of view without offense. I can see why the lot of us are not in politics, excepting hizzonor.

j
              Listen here sonny. If you are saying that I have been offensive when I disagree with others you are a putz. You are WRONG WRONG WRONG. And when you are wrong you are less of a man. So wise up and take that back!!! Take it back...you you old lady clown putz.

I think I will run for Democratic Minority Leader.

Comment

j
                Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Listen here sonny. If you are saying that I have been offensive when I disagree with others you are a putz. You are WRONG WRONG WRONG. And when you are wrong you are less of a man. So wise up and take that back!!! Take it back...you you old lady clown putz.

I think I will run for Democratic Minority Leader.
                I like my politicians to be funny...and you, sir, are no politician...

I keed, I keed
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I suggest she avoid the santorum
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

j
                    I assume you are referring to me, as I am the only elected judge I know of on here.

I don't claim to be a good politician, but I agree very much with your assessment. One must at all times remain neutral, not allowing personal feelings or prejudices to impact deliberations. This may be a shock to some, but not all lawyers are likeable. One must nonetheless keep an open mind to their cases, because it is the client whose interests are at stake, not the lawyers.

Most days I'll have at least two lawyers trying their best to convince me that completely opposing ideas are the applicable law in a given case. The tough part is to focus intently, understand, and then rule based upon the law...never upon likes or dislikes of the case, the client or the lawyer. But focus is the real key. My clerk laughs when telling me and others that the back of the courtroom could catch on fire, and I'd never notice it unless one of the witnesses were to mention it.

Not directly on point, but the most important thing...the single most important thing a judge could/should do is to make certain that each and every person who has business in his court is treated with dignity and respect. Everyone should be treated equally, whether they are wearing a $3000 suit, or blue jeans and a tee shirt. The facts and the law are what matter.

Some may question this post, since I have a tendency to rant and rave from time to time here. But, I look at the Pen as a safe zone, where I can say what comes into my mind. None of you guys are ever going to be in my Court, and if you were, I would probably have to disqualify, since I don't hear cases involving friends. But the point is that I can say things here without necessarily making sure they are PC correct, or 100% thought out and balanced. I can let off a little steam here, and people don't hold it against me. When someone does hold it against me, I can just apologize, since this is not my courtroom. It is just a place where I can meet with friends and say things without thinking out every single ramification. And, most importantly, my words here don't have the force of law. People can pay attention to them, or completely ignore them. People are free to disagree with them, and to tell me I'm all wet. I like that.

It's a good mix of different viewpoints. It would be very dull if we all thought alike. We all play devil's advocate from time to time, but we don't have to do so that often, since there's usually someone out there to pick up the other side's banner. Names that come to mind...OJH, chance, jude, nots, sheep...all willing to take a position opposed to Bhob, B-Fly, Moonlight, ElD, and others, just to liven things up. This isn't an inclusive list. There are other great posters who add substance and depth to make for interesting threads. There are, of course, a few who seem to add only vitriol.

But it is an interesting site, only because of the personalities who populate it. I'm fortunate you guys let me post here.

Comment

If the shoe fits.

Judge was the only elected position I had run across, and not to name names.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

So Bob, How did it go?

Comment

Working...
                        X