I want everyone to quit saying....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    "We are going to take this country back" or similar statements.

Take it back from who? Other Americans?
    When coming from the right, it usually means take it back from one or more of: overreaching government elected officials or bureaucrats, liberals, secularists, or non-assimilating immigrants and their multi-culti friends.

When coming from the left, it usually means take it back from one or more of: overreaching government elected officials or bureaucrats, conservatives, evangelicals, the military industrial complex, or corporations/Wall Street/the wealthiest 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Sad that I ever expected it or sad that I've given up?
      no ... sad that my initial reaction was that this is impossible.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        When coming from the right, it usually means take it back from one or more of: overreaching government elected officials or bureaucrats, liberals, secularists, or non-assimilating immigrants and their multi-culti friends.

When coming from the left, it usually means take it back from one or more of: overreaching government elected officials or bureaucrats, conservatives, evangelicals, the military industrial complex, or corporations/Wall Street/the wealthiest 1%.
        How about from the middle? Maybe taking it back from self-important a**holes who either use their office for personal gain, or who improperly influence office-holders for their own benefit, or just jerks who govern us without a real clue as to an appropriate role for government?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          How about from the middle? Maybe taking it back from self-important a**holes who either use their office for personal gain...
          Yes!

...or who improperly influence office-holders for their own benefit...
          Yes!

... or just jerks who govern us without a real clue as to an appropriate role for government?
          D'oh! Here's where we run into trouble; there's a lot of legitimate disagreement on this point. So maybe we should set that one aside for later and work on those first two?
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
          X