1984 Apple MacIntosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Apple MacIntosh

Today, my wife went by a local estate sale to pick up something for me. In addition to the item I needed, she saw (and purchased) a 1984 Apple MacIntosh computer. That's the first year of the Mac. As you may remember, there was the epic "1984" commercial, then two days later the product was released.

It's in amazing condition, not yellowed with age. Comes complete with CPU/monitor, keyboard, primitive mouse, extra floppy reader, and an Apple printer.

It fires up and seems to work, but we haven't played around with it yet.

I'm guessing that there are people out there who collect this sort of thing. We're not that sort of collector, so we'll probably be trying to sell it. There have been a few selling on ebay for pretty high prices, even without all the peripherals.

Anyone know anything about these things? It seems like quite a coincidence, here only a couple of weeks after Steve Jobs passes away.

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Today, my wife went by a local estate sale to pick up something for me. In addition to the item I needed, she saw (and purchased) a 1984 Apple MacIntosh computer. That's the first year of the Mac. As you may remember, there was the epic "1984" commercial, then two days later the product was released.

It's in amazing condition, not yellowed with age. Comes complete with CPU/monitor, keyboard, primitive mouse, extra floppy reader, and an Apple printer.

It fires up and seems to work, but we haven't played around with it yet.

I'm guessing that there are people out there who collect this sort of thing. We're not that sort of collector, so we'll probably be trying to sell it. There have been a few selling on ebay for pretty high prices, even without all the peripherals.

Anyone know anything about these things? It seems like quite a coincidence, here only a couple of weeks after Steve Jobs passes away.
    Just to add closure to a thread that nobody seemed particularly interested in, I finally got the Mac listed on ebay late Sunday evening. Monday morning, it sold on a "Buy It Now" for 140 times what we paid for it, a decent return on our time and money. It was bought by a guy in New York who is actually pretty well known up there...won an Oscar and a number of Clio awards, along with tons of other awards in the advertising industry.

So, after tons of research, I'm now the resident expert in Magnolia on the original MacIntosh series. I'll probably never find another one, but I'll know what to do if one comes along.

Comment

That's really cool. I'm sure that there would be a lot of practical use for them in period films and that sort of thing.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

That was my first classroom computer as a teacher

Comment

Here ya go, Lucky...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
          X