Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Flows From This Iran Assassination Attempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Flows From This Iran Assassination Attempt?

This story is fascinating and will have serious political ramifications in a lot of countries, including the US. I predict we see a major downturn in world oil prices over the coming months as the Saudis hammer the Iranians where it hurts them the most; SA can afford a downturn in income much, much more easily than Iran can and they have played this card in the past, jamming prices down to jack Iran's government up. Any of our site economics experts want to discuss the economic impact in the US & Europe of a major oil price downturn, even if it does last for only 4-8 months starting in December of this year?

The Mexican Cartel linkage to this is equally fascinating. First, did anyone else pick up that the "cartel" link that the Iranians were talking to-- in Mexico-- was an undercover FBI Agent? Does it surprise anyone besides me that the Mexican government is allowing the FBI to place deep cover agents in Mexico? Given the current poor diplomatic status between the two nations and the mutual distrust between Washington & Mexico City I see that as a tacit admission by the Mexican government that their nation as a whole is in serious trouble. With Iran seeking cartel support for international terrorism we're going to see a whole new facet of this drug issue cropping up now-- should seriously tweak those who believe that the "war on drugs" is a useless enterprise.

The Israelis-- as ever-- are still seeking that mythical unicorn of a flight path and aerial refueling location between their bases and Esfahan and the rest of the Iranian nuclear targets; may be that Saudi Arabia just grew a single twisting horn out of its forehead.

Crazy story whose dimensions are going to be very, very wide before this ends. That we decided to publicize this now (it largely happened int he early summer) tells a tale, too... although what that tale is isn't clear to me, at least.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    This story is fascinating and will have serious political ramifications in a lot of countries, including the US. I predict we see a major downturn in world oil prices over the coming months as the Saudis hammer the Iranians where it hurts them the most; SA can afford a downturn in income much, much more easily than Iran can and they have played this card in the past, jamming prices down to jack Iran's government up. Any of our site economics experts want to discuss the economic impact in the US & Europe of a major oil price downturn, even if it does last for only 4-8 months starting in December of this year?

The Mexican Cartel linkage to this is equally fascinating. First, did anyone else pick up that the "cartel" link that the Iranians were talking to-- in Mexico-- was an undercover FBI Agent? Does it surprise anyone besides me that the Mexican government is allowing the FBI to place deep cover agents in Mexico? Given the current poor diplomatic status between the two nations and the mutual distrust between Washington & Mexico City I see that as a tacit admission by the Mexican government that their nation as a whole is in serious trouble. With Iran seeking cartel support for international terrorism we're going to see a whole new facet of this drug issue cropping up now-- should seriously tweak those who believe that the "war on drugs" is a useless enterprise.

The Israelis-- as ever-- are still seeking that mythical unicorn of a flight path and aerial refueling location between their bases and Esfahan and the rest of the Iranian nuclear targets; may be that Saudi Arabia just grew a single twisting horn out of its forehead.

Crazy story whose dimensions are going to be very, very wide before this ends. That we decided to publicize this now (it largely happened int he early summer) tells a tale, too... although what that tale is isn't clear to me, at least.
    Have they confirmed that the Iranian Govt. had knowledge or was behind the plot?

BTW it kind of sounds like a Sons of Anarchy plotline this season.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Write this date down. I agree with Bohb. Particularly in the Mexican element of this little fiasco.

I will say that the level of mistrust may be partly posturing, and that properly done bribery can buy almost anything in Mexico. Still, that the conduit was an American undercover is bizarre, even by the standards of international spook wars.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
        With Iran seeking cartel support for international terrorism we're going to see a whole new facet of this drug issue cropping up now-- should seriously tweak those who believe that the "war on drugs" is a useless enterprise.

One of the arguments against the war on drugs is it provides funding for criminals whose actions have worse impact than the use of the drugs. You are now providing an example of this, as if we needed any more. And this is supposed to make the War on Drugs opponents re-think their position ?

I'd also like to point out how great it is that the Obama administration is now stepping up enforcement of Marijuana laws while still not prosecuting Wall Street Fraud. One of these groups brought our nation to the brink of economic collapse while the other eats a lot of Doritios and Pizza. I know which one we should be going after.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          One of the arguments against the war on drugs is it provides funding for criminals whose actions have worse impact than the use of the drugs. You are now providing an example of this, as if we needed any more. And this is supposed to make the War on Drugs opponents re-think their position ?

I'd also like to point out how great it is that the Obama administration is now stepping up enforcement of Marijuana laws while still not prosecuting Wall Street Fraud. One of these groups brought our nation to the brink of economic collapse while the other eats a lot of Doritios and Pizza. I know which one we should be going after.
          great now Funyums will be illegal in several states.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            great now Funyums will be illegal in several states.
            It is well known that Funyuns are a gateway snack. Teens often start out experimenting with Funyuns and Bugles, but many of them end up addicted to Fritos, Ding Dongs, or a whole gamut of other unhealthy foods. It is often a life long battle with additction. Many a life has been ruined...
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's rare I agree with the MSM, but the link to a bad movie script by CBS et al was great.

To one of Bob's points, SA hasn't increased oil production, but has given the tacit OK to a number of states that follow their lead to do so.

Per the War on Drugs, which elD and I agree is pretty much a failure, I'd say this is a clear indication of how badly it's going versus how well. We have FBI/Homeland Security running people in Mexico due to terror links? I'm not sure how this qualifies anyway other than an epic fail relative to the WOD, but is at least a testament to how well the FBI runs a sting.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It is well known that Funyuns are a gateway snack. Teens often start out experimenting with Funyuns and Bugles, but many of them end up addicted to Fritos, Ding Dongs, or a whole gamut of other unhealthy foods. It is often a life long battle with additction. Many a life has been ruined...
                Ah, yes...Fritos are most definitely addicting. And when camping, they come in handy as dehydrated lighter fluid.

Comment

Not to divert from a serious subject, but I gotta.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by regular-guy View Post
                    Ah, yes...Fritos are most definitely addicting. And when camping, they come in handy as dehydrated lighter fluid.
                    Fritos burn? Well, now I know what I am doing tonight out in the fire pit...
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      $5 says this whole story is bull**** and the whole thing blows up in our face. Sure seems to me from what I've read that this magic FBI deep cover agent involved in Mexican cartels is just a drug dealer turning state's in exchange for getting a whole litany of charges dropped. You could probably find a less credible source if you really tried, but you'd be hard pressed.
                      gulf of tonkin 2011?
                      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

i don't believe it. .. someone in our government has a wild imagination. not very smart to try. false **** like this is scary. it's like showing you're hand to everyone in poker. so much for that peace prize.

Comment

weird how this entire story just kind of disappeared.
                          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                            weird how this entire story just kind of disappeared.
                            That's what "they" want
                            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                            X