Legal advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal advice.

Anybody know the law here in Texas at all?

I recently left a job where I had to sign something on my way out saying I wouldn't recruit any of their people for a year.

Well, at my new place I have an opening already, and while I haven't recruited at all, one of my old direct reports applied for the job. So, can I hire him since I didn't recruit him? Or do I risk running afoul of the law?

I know it's a "right to work" state and I've had people assure me that I'd win in court, but I have no interest in hiring a lawyer to defend myself. Not sure if the old compnay would sue or not, it's a pretty junior person. That said, I really like this guy and since he wants a new gig anyway, i'd love to hire him.

What do you think?

Hire him. Could they prove you recruited him...even if you actually had?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

How mad at you are they?

Comment

Right now, they are not mad at me really. We left on good terms. They do have a fear that my leaving will cause my team to start to look elsewhere... the company has a retention problem as a whole but I had a very loyal group in my department.

Comment

Employment laws definitely vary from state to state. Since Texas is a right to work state, just googling a bit shows that you have a good stance to hire your former report. If you left on good terms, you should have just declined to sign their agreement. It will be tricky for them to prove that you recruited him. He applied on his own free will it seems. Now I am no expert, my only interaction with the law is with high school buddy of mine who is an Indianapolis personal injury attorney. I try to keep my nose clean and lay low. Let us know if he got the job!
          Last edited by ; 10-06-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

as far as spam goes, that one's not horrible.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              as far as spam goes, that one's not horrible.
              LOL -- my thinking exactly. At least it wasn't in pidgin English and kinda answered the question!

Comment

Working...
              X