X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the end of the world ...

... as we know it.

Originally posted by R.E.M
    "To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.
    R.E.M. CALL IT A DAY (UPDATED WITH BAND MEMBERS' COMMENTS)

while they really haven't been relevant for a while now, they remain one of the more significant bands of my generation.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

... and their last record was one of their best.

If you are, or have been a fan, check out Collapse Into Now. It's one of the best records of 2011 IMO.

Comment

Will check it out. Loved them back in the day during high school and college.

Andy did you here about this one.......
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

"Radio Free Europe" is one of the most important songs of the past 50 years.

I love the description I often have read about the album "Murmur" - "The songs on Murmur sound like nothing before, but also like they have existed forever". So true.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It took only a single show, 1999 in Seattle, to make us huge fans. Alice and I were casual fans before, but developed a whole new appreciation for the band, especially Michael Stipe's vocals. They were powerful that night.

Setlist:

Lotus
          What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
          So Fast, So Numb
          Fall On Me
          Suspicion
          Daysleeper
          Everybody Hurts
          Electrolite
          The Apologist
          Sweetness Follows
          The Great Beyond
          The One I Love
          Find the River
          At My Most Beautiful
          Finest Worksong
          Losing My Religion
          Man on the Moon
          Walk Unafraid

Encore:
          Long Road
          (Pearl Jam cover) (Stipe solo)
          Hope
          (Stipe solo)
          Long Road
          (Pearl Jam cover) (Now with Mills)
          Why Not Smile
          Crush With Eyeliner
          Tongue
          Cuyahoga
          It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

They weren't supposed to do "The Great Beyond" for copyright, licensing, and publicity issues, but they knocked off an up-tempo version that blew everyone away.

I'll have to get the new album. RIP to a fine band.

Comment

I had no idea they were still putting albums out. I guess I was too busy listening to The Replacements.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

what, no memorial song draft?
              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                what, no memorial song draft?
                +1 ...

Comment

Working...
                X