Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griswold's Writing Career Could Be Over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griswold's Writing Career Could Be Over!

So after 10 years, I think this dagger by Tristan Cockroft may have done me in.

However, I wanted to vent and ask for advice here from my long-time friends and supporters.

Based on everything that you remember or know about the Quality Game Scores, does this look like Tristan stole my idea and then added a twist or two to it:

Tristan H. Cockcroft unveils his latest consistency ratings, and says Cam Newton's start to his NFL career is of historic proportions.

And here's mine from last week:

Tristan uses the "Benchmarking" by position and by scoring method which no one had ever done before I came up with the idea.

I guess my point is this....I've been working on this for 10 years to take this to a National audience and RotoExperts was trying to do that...but even if they get NFL.com or Yahoo.com (our 2 partners) to look at it, they will, as will the national readers just say, "Oh, he stole this idea from Tristan at ESPN!"

Therefore, in my opinion....I'm done. Thoughts?

Hey, just my rant.

Gris

P.S. - I have let my feelings know to the RotoExperts mgmt group of my concerns and feelings and I will let you know if they plan to take any action.

while they look similar I wouldnt get too down about it yet. Theres only so much people can write about in fantasy football so I am sure many things have been touched on by multiple sources. After all your work, I wouldnt put the white flag up over Tristans article. Besides, you have stuff on this that pre-dates his.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Wow Bob I don't know what to say.

Yeah it is hard to go up against the power of the big wheel that Tristan has behind him.

Didn't Tristan post back in the day on the old site? Can we find out if he still lurks here?
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I didn't know Tristan lurked here at all?

What was his RJ name?

Comment

More importantly is this guy related to former Browns kicker Don Cockroft?

(I kid, I don't blame you for being upset, Griz.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            while they look similar I wouldnt get too down about it yet. Theres only so much people can write about in fantasy football so I am sure many things have been touched on by multiple sources. After all your work, I wouldnt put the white flag up over Tristans article. Besides, you have stuff on this that pre-dates his.
            Yeah, I don't have a problem with people writing about consistency in Fantasy football....and most of the past stuff by other people has been just based on Yards/TD's but never anything specifically like mine (i.e., scoring related) and also something through out the season. Most guys would throw up a Consistency article in August to talk about it, but never really had much detail related to mine.

There was a kid at Rotoworld that did literally steal it word for word and posted it on their site.

The site editor at my site sent an email to the Rotoworld editor and it was removed from the site.

Comment

So I decide to write this letter to Tristan thru his Facebook. I'm not sure it will do much, but I thought it can't hurt.

Hey Tristan,

I wanted to send you this message to bring to your attention my consistency rankings and ask for your help.

I've been a fan of your writing for many years and I truly respect you, however, it was a real slap in the face when I saw your Consistency rankings on ESPN.com

I've been writing about my Consistency theory (Quality Game Scores) since 2002. It's basically the same as yours, just a little simpler, since I don't focus on anything other than you earn a Quality Game or you don't. I use a Quality Game Factor (same as your Benchmark) to determine when you earn a Quality Game or not.

Here's a link to my current article on RotoExperts.com.

In summary, I'll tell you how I feel. I've been working on this theory since 2002 and my goal in life was to be able to take my concept to the masses on a big sight like ESPN, Yahoo or NFL.com. However, since your concept is so similar, I feel like my "career" is over because now the big sites like Yahoo and NFL.com (which are partners of RotoExperts) are going to say that I stole your idea.

I'm sure there's nothing that you can do and I'm sure you could easily delete my message and just go on with your life.

However, I wanted to express my disappointment and hope that maybe we could work something out.

Thanks for listening and best of luck in your career.

Sincerely,

Bob Lung
              RotoExperts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                More importantly is this guy related to former Browns kicker Don Cockroft?

(I kid, I don't blame you for being upset, Griz.)
                Thanks bud....I know Don...and I don't think they're related.

Comment

he did post here on occasion. I think his RJ handle was TCockroft.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    he did post here on occasion. I think his RJ handle was TCockroft.
                    Hmmm, I don't know why I don't remember that.....but thanks Ed.

Comment

I'll save BillBuckner the trouble and just point out that his last name has "Cock" in it. Ha ha ha ha.

Comment

Well....there's three ways you can attack this, IMO:

1. Use the Warren Zevon method of sending Lawyers, Guns, and Money after Cockroft. Well, at least the former of the three. I'm assuming you have some sort of copyright on some of your material.

2. Realize that you have more brains and writing ability in two fingers than Cockroft has had in his life. Why ESPN continues to employ him is baffling to me; I avoid his work like the plague. Post here. At FBG. Anywhere else you can think of. Scream your theory from the rooftops and note that Cockroft - at best duplicated an already created idea.

3. Ignore the turd and move on. You have enough material to convince any larger forum that you had this idea first - heck, a competitor of ESPN might look at it as an opportunity.

But don't quit writing.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If you can prove he pinched your ideas ... ESPN are a pretty big fish. How do you stand legally?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

1. Use the Warren Zevon method of sending Lawyers, Guns, and Money after Cockroft. Well, at least the former of the three. I'm assuming you have some sort of copyright on some of your material.

2. Realize that you have more brains and writing ability in two fingers than Cockroft has had in his life. Why ESPN continues to employ him is baffling to me; I avoid his work like the plague. Post here. At FBG. Anywhere else you can think of. Scream your theory from the rooftops and note that Cockroft - at best duplicated an already created idea.

3. Ignore the turd and move on. You have enough material to convince any larger forum that you had this idea first - heck, a competitor of ESPN might look at it as an opportunity.

But don't quit writing.
                            Thanks Chancellor,

Now that I've burned off some steam and spoke with the Scott Engel at RotoExpert and emails with the site's CEO, we're not going after Tristan because we can't honestly prove he stole it and maybe he didn't.

So, I'm going to/already have taking approach #2 and #3. The site has a relationship with NFL.com and Yahoo and we think we can show them ESPN's stuff and say, "Yeah...our's is better."

Thanks as always for the love and support and ideas.

U GUYS TRULY ROCK!

Hey, just my thanks.

Gris

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

But don't quit writing
                              There is a reason chancellor is considered one of the smart ones in this forum. Go into an interview with, "He's stealing my schtick, and I have the copyright."

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X