Pet owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet owners...

I know that there are some pet owners here in the Pen.

My dog is going through some serious kidney problems and may not make it much longer and man it feels like I'm losing my best friend. This came on quite sudden and I wasn't really prepared for it. It's been a really difficult couple of weeks watching her go from energetic to a shell of her former self.

I would guess all the pet lovers understand what I'm dealing with. It's basically losing a member of the family.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I am a big animal lover/pet person Mith and I definitely feel for you. We have a dog and 3 cats and they are very much a part of our family.

Spend as much time with her as you can and just make her feel as comfortable & loved as you can. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I had to go through it last year and few things are more difficult.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        I am a big animal lover/pet person Mith and I definitely feel for you. We have a dog and 3 cats and they are very much a part of our family.

Spend as much time with her as you can and just make her feel as comfortable & loved as you can. My thoughts are with you.
        Thanks Stephen. The toughest part is still to come...making the dreaded decision...

I have another dog and also have 3 cats, so the house will still be a furry mess!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Sorry to hear that. I had to go through it last year and few things are more difficult.
          It's always nice (at least for me) to converse with others who feel the same way about their pets.

Did you get another dog?

Comment

Sorry to hear that, keep in mind your other pets will mourn too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              It's always nice (at least for me) to converse with others who feel the same way about their pets.

Did you get another dog?
              Not yet, because we just had a baby. But we have two cats and will get another dog eventually.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Thanks Stephen. The toughest part is still to come...making the dreaded decision...
                re: making the tough decision ... every situation is different, but I found that when it got to a certain point I simply had no choice but to put my cat down. The phrase you used - watching her go from energetic to a shell of her former self - resonated with me. There was a point where I was listening to the vet talk about the specifics of what was shutting down within her, & while she was talking I looked at my cat & her eyes were basically telling me to just end the pain ... it was extremely emotional, but in the end it was a simple decision. I know that won't make it any easier, but that was my experience.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dog.

My diabetic cat went hypotonic back in Dec 09, right before Christmas. The vet told us it was at best a coin flip whether she'd survive the weekend (her bedside manner was non-existent and she actually told us that in the lobby surrounded by strangers!). It was gut-wrenching. Thankfully she pulled through and is still doing fine.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    re: making the tough decision ... every situation is different, but I found that when it got to a certain point I simply had no choice but to put my cat down. The phrase you used - watching her go from energetic to a shell of her former self - resonated with me. There was a point where I was listening to the vet talk about the specifics of what was shutting down within her, & while she was talking I looked at my cat & her eyes were basically telling me to just end the pain ... it was extremely emotional, but in the end it was a simple decision. I know that won't make it any easier, but that was my experience.
                    A few years ago my wife and I had to put down one of our cats as he had a tumor. The thing that surprised me was how fast it happened. The vet put the stuff in and about 5 seconds later he was gone.

It doesn't help that I'm a very, very emotional person when it comes to my pets..as it seems like the rest of you guys are too.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Sorry to hear about your dog.

My diabetic cat went hypotonic back in Dec 09, right before Christmas. The vet told us it was at best a coin flip whether she'd survive the weekend (her bedside manner was non-existent and she actually told us that in the lobby surrounded by strangers!). It was gut-wrenching. Thankfully she pulled through and is still doing fine.
                      Well that's good to hear!!

Comment

We had to put my golden down last August after 11 great years and it was also quite sudden, a very aggressive tumor around his lungs. He gave us more than we ever gave him in terms of love. I waited 3 months and we adopted a rotweiler and jack russell. I miss our golden terribly but am glad we decided to adopt 2.

I feel for you Mith and hope time eases the pain once its time.
                        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Very sad to hear Mith.

I've gone from the crazy cat person in the Pen (by virtue of numbers, I think nully has me beat by virtue of craziness ) to no cats at all. I had to have the first one put down two years ago due to liver failure. The second and third followed fairly close after. The second due to complications from a much earlier meeting with a car and the third cancer.) The fourth and fifth are still living with my ex in New Orleans (as far as I know.)

I miss having them around to talk to. The first was my baby, sitting on my lap while I watched TV or laying on the desk while I played games. We made the decision when she was obviously in discomfort and the remedies were only temporary (weeks rather than months/years). She died in my arms and my life has been emptier since.
                          Last edited by heyelander; 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            Very sad to hear Mith.

I've got from the crazy cat person in the Pen (by virtue of numbers, I think nully has me beat by virtue of craziness ) to no cats at all. I had to have the first one put down two years ago due to liver failure. The second and third followed fairly close after. The second due to complications from a much earlier meeting with a car and the third cancer.) The fourth and fifth are still living with my ex in New Orleans (as far as I know.)

I miss having them around to talk to. The first was my baby, sitting on my lap while I watched TV or laying on the desk while I played games. We made the decision when she was obviously in discomfort and the remedies were only temporary (weeks rather than months/years). She died in my arms and my life has been emptier since.
                            Wow, Heye that's a lot of loss to suffer...sorry to hear about all of that. It's nice to see someone else refer to their pet as their "baby", because that's how i refer to mine .

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              We had to put my golden down last August after 11 great years and it was also quite sudden, a very aggressive tumor around his lungs. He gave us more than we ever gave him in terms of love. I waited 3 months and we adopted a rotweiler and jack russell. I miss our golden terribly but am glad we decided to adopt 2.

I feel for you Mith and hope time eases the pain once its time.
                              Thanks Hammer.

It's another tough decision whether or not to get another dog (or two) after going through such pain. One of the library Board members just lost her beloved dog and i was talking to her this past week about it. She was so adamant on not ever getting another dog as losing a pet was just too much for her to ever go through again.

Comment

Working...
                              X