No announcement yet.

Hurricane Irene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaluating a storm based on wind speed and nothing else is like evaluating a pitcher based on fastball velocity and nothing else.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Still 220,000 without power in NJ - down from 750,000 on Sunday. I'll take my 6-hour outage on Sunday night like a man!

A portion of Interstate Route 287 (which goes from Westchester County NY almost to PA, then loops back to the Jersey Shore) fell into the Rockaway River in Boonton, closing the northbound side.

My 15-minute commute to the office became a 40-minute effort just to go 1 mile. I was over an hour into the trip, still plenty more road closures in my way, when they told me to turn around because of a bomb scare in the office (wtf?).

75 people rescued today, mostly in boats. Almost a dozen rivers just crested today, so we may see some floating homes on TV tonight, amid gorgeous sunshine today (and yesterday)...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Evaluating a storm based on wind speed and nothing else is like evaluating a pitcher based on fastball velocity and nothing else.
        Hurricane Irene is the Nola Ryan of hurricanes?

Comment

I see what you did there...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

My office is still without power so I get another work from home in my underwear day.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
              My office is still without power so I get another work from home in my underwear day.
              I hope theyre clean at least.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                We were without power but looks like it might have just come back now... I didn't have cable so no internet for me either - I got two free days off.

Comment

1-minute video of the flooding in NJ, a couple of miles from me (I'm fine):

News helicopters captured dramatic video of flooding along rivers in and around Wayne, New Jersey Wednesday. Many East Coast rivers have surged in the afterm...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

It amazes me that anybody can get a mortgage in Wayne or Passaic if their house isn't atop a hill.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      I hope theyre clean at least.
                      They were when the week started.

Office power came back this afternoon. Back to the salt mines tomorrow.

Comment

The flood in Boonton was due to someone leaving a valve open in the retaining wall. heard this on nj101.5.
                        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

There are plenty of million-dollar houses in Wayne, on the dry side.

Sort of inevitable, how it plays out: middle-class people would kill for their kids to go to stellar public schools (New Jerseyans spend more per student and the highest HS graduation rate, etc, iirc). But how can you afford to live in that town? Answer, you can get a home at a reasonable price if it's, oh, on the banks of a river that overflows a lot. The family rolls the dice, figuring if they get lucky, they get high-end schools on a mid-end budget. 566 municipalities in NJ, home rule, little to no regional planning, fewer than 10 part-time town council members in the towns, each making a few thousand dollars a year, making multi-million dollar decisions about prime real estate near NYC. A perfect storm, long before the winds and rain arrive.

Nobody's gotten lucky around here for several years now.

My 15-minute commute each way was 55 minutes each way today, due to extensive road closures of major highways. That should ease tomorrow, but when a river typically floods at the 7-foot mark and then it peaks at 14 feet yesterday - the result is not pretty. Rowboat makers are getting an economic stimulus around here.

President Obama coming to Paterson Sunday. I work about a half-mile up the hill, and it sure is all downhill in struggling Paterson. Irene chose no particular socio-economic class - she pounded 'em all in North Jersey, from homeless people to six-figure incomes (check that, the millionaires mostly stayed dry, I imagine. Location, location, location. A number of NY Giants FB players live in the well-off neighborhoods in the affected area, btw. The Jets tend to live slightly west, where their practice site is, and which fared better).
                          Last edited by Judge Jude; 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Is CBB Eric Cantor?
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                            X