No announcement yet.

Hurricane Irene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we had 2 feet of water in the street by me Saturday night. Lost power for 4 hours but overall we were very lucky not to have any water damage. Some of my neighbors werent as fortunate.

Hope youre all well.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Power out from 7:30 pm to 1:30 am, no big deal. Tens of thousands or more in NJ will be without power for days - or WEEKS.

Many North Jersey rivers will crest tomorrow, when things will get even worse.
      Don't be surprised to see some of my neighbors within 2-3 miles on the national news at that point - in Wayne, Pompton Lakes, and Lincoln Park.

Meanwhile, my parking lot didn't have so much as a puddle - never has. It's an odd situation to drive a mile or two, and then you see roads blocked off, and rowboats in streets:

Wait, it gets even more odd - this is my town, underwater:

I'm cut off from the town proper by a fence, and no reason to go there except to pay a quarterly water bill (have to wind around a mile or two; it's complicated).
      Last edited by Judge Jude; 08-29-2011, 07:40 PM.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Whats the big deal about a 65 mph storm?
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Well, the previous hurricanes to reach landfall in New Jersey were in 1821 and 1903.

Also, NJ is a densely-populated state with many homes along now-raging rivers. Damage will be in the billions.

Not sure if comparing wind gust mphs is the best way to judge if something is a "big deal."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I'm just surprised the northeast coast cant handle a tropical storm. It wasnt even a hurricane... not sure if the media noticed though.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              I'm just surprised the northeast coast cant handle a tropical storm. It wasnt even a hurricane... not sure if the media noticed though.
              Regardless of wind velocity, pain,suffering, devastation of property infrastructure, personnel lives etc- Assume none of the 44 attributable deaths, at current count, are a "big deal" in your little world?

Oh - I get , you were only talking trash and shouldn't be taken seriously ...or something
              Last edited by ; 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Wait, Frank is the rational one here!? What the hell is going on here?

CBB, what are talking about? So people on the east coast are weaker cause they lost power to their houses or let that pesky water flood their houses or even entire towns?
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Wait, Frank is the rational one here!? What the hell is going on here?

CBB, what are talking about? So people on the east coast are weaker cause they lost power to their houses or let that pesky water flood their houses or even entire towns?
                  Where did I call anyone weak?

Comment

"It wasnt even a hurricane..."

except that it was, so man up on that one, unless you think the states between NC and NJ don't count (wait, don't answer that one).

States with few lakes and rivers and people, hypothetically, could handle lots of mph.
                    Others, not so much, for obvious reasons.

Damage now estimated at $7 billion, all my neighboring towns will go further underwater tomorrow, but will await RJ expert approval from 1,500 miles away of when it becomes a "big deal."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Where did I call anyone weak?
                      can't handle

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

now attempting the 1500 meter backpedal.............
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          "It wasnt even a hurricane..."

except that it was, so man up on that one, unless you think the states between NC and NJ don't count (wait, don't answer that one).
                          NC is not the northeast coast. By the time irene got to NJ it wasnt a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            can't handle
                            I never asked why people couldnt handle it. I'm wondering why infrastructure was overwhelmed by what didnt look like that powerful of a storm. My apologies if you took it to mean I was talking about people.

Comment

But when it reached NJ it still WAS a hurricane. Post your correction here.

Have you ever been to the northeast? There's a lot of people in a little space on a lot of water.

By the way, other inept people in your book are Vermonters, who are facing I think their worst recovery ever.

Serves them right, I guess, considering that mph is coin of the realm, and they may or may not have met the mocka-able mph for mocking posts.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I never asked why people couldnt handle it. I'm wondering why infrastructure was overwhelmed by what didnt look like that powerful of a storm. My apologies if you took it to mean I was talking about people.
                                I'm pretty sure this was one of the bigger storms the east coast has seen in many many years, there just normally aren't tropical storms this far north on the east coast. If I remember correctly, you live in Texas, what would happen if half an inch of snow fell in your town?

Look, trees fall down in storms like this, it knocks down power lines, is that what you are referring to regarding the infrastructure gets overwhelmed? Nature can be a b!tch and can't be controlled, even if it doesn't look to bad to you when you are sitting comfortably in your couch.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X