No announcement yet.

UFC 126: Deepest Card in UFC History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamamoto is an incredibly talented fighter, but he is such a huge star his commitment to the sport and his heart has been questioned. I'm hoping to see a focussed Kid at 7 p.m. on FaceBook!!! (I think Mighty Mouse will beat him)

The prelims on Spike are two potentially great fights.
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

I also think that there is age difference for fans.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I am 48 and have no interest in it and none of my friend are interested either

Comment

I'm 39 and enjoy the hell out of it. Beats me.

Comment

I would say MMA has more of an appeal to teens and 20 somethings now than boxing.

But I am 37 and many of my friends who love the sport are older than me.

I do admit that I know many older people who are not fans of the sport. Many older boxing fan friends of mine are as strong proponents of the sport as anyone, which I've never quite figured out.
          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
            I would say MMA has more of an appeal to teens and 20 somethings now than boxing.

But I am 37 and many of my friends who love the sport are older than me.

I do admit that I know many older people who are not fans of the sport. Many older boxing fan friends of mine are as strong proponents of the sport as anyone, which I've never quite figured out.
            OK - so forget my age idea

How about Dems vs Reblicans?
            College educated vs high school grad?
            Wine vs Beer?
            Coke vs Pepsi?

OK - I got no idea

So what is the majority audience and how big is that majority really?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              OK - so forget my age idea

How about Dems vs Reblicans?
              College educated vs high school grad?
              Wine vs Beer?
              Coke vs Pepsi?

OK - I got no idea

So what is the majority audience and how big is that majority really?
              I'm not sure of the demographic breakdown, but I do realize that the 18-34 male demo they are extremely strong (which is advertising gold).

Also I know since 2008 the UFC has been the PPV king as far as buys and money generated.

As far as the groups you mentioned the only one that probably isn't a significant part of MMA's demo is the "wine" crowd.

Comment

#1 son & friends have it streaming to the TV from atdhenet dot tv

not bad but definitely not as smooth as buying
                Last edited by ; 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Honestly to me it is not about the violence.

I grew up a huge boxing fan who always wondered about boxing vs. karate (and other fighting disciplines). I went to middle and high school in Torrance, Ca. and was still lving there when the UFC started in the early 90's. At first is was interesting to see the different disciplines vs. each other but soon it was just a violent spectacle and I lost interest.

However the Zuffa years have scene it become a legitmate sport with regulations. To me it has far surpassed boxing as true indication of fighting technique and strategy.

Now I'm not going to say I don't like a good old fashion brawl. But I like even more the intertwining of different fighting skills and strategies. There is nothing as interesting to me in sports than seeing great transition work in grappling (with the threat of strikes). The amounts of ways one fighter can win makes for a level of unknown and unexpected finsishes and outcomes that truely make the sport one of a kind.

Something that completely sets the sport apart from boxing is the fact that there is usually much more than 1 fight of interest per card. Tonights shows that point to an extreme with 7 fights all of which I have great interest in.
                  Yup. Belfort better bring his best game cuz Spider scared the sh!t out of me with his white mask during weigh-in. Love Bones Jones, he'll win with a TKO. The scary thing about him is that he throws elbows like people throw jabs.

Comment

Neither is it in MMA. It is a fight sport though so there is no denying that violence is involved. The perpetuated stereotype which you either only understand or you are just uninformed (I'm not sure of you honestly desire to be informed) on was popularized by the incarnation of the sport which is 15 years old. Sadly to say that view from the early to mid 90's is still one which many still have their view tinted by.

Their are many fans I must admit that like it because of the violence, but is that much different from apart of NasCar fans, or football, or hockey, or even drivers driving by an accident. But to paint the entire sport in that way is a view brought on my ignorance to the actual competition and training that goes into modern mixed martial arts,
                    I'm not ignorant to the amount of dedication and training it takes to become a top MMA fighter. My question was why do people like to watch men beat on each other?
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      The ultimate goal in MMA is to hurt your opponent according to who? I always thought it was to win.
                      How can you win without hurting your opponent? The ultimate goal is to hurt your opponent bad enough that you win.

Maybe I should have phrased it, "in other sports you don't try to intentionally inflict damage on your opponents as part of the normal course of play"
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        How can you win without hurting your opponent? The ultimate goal is to hurt your opponent bad enough that you win.

Maybe I should have phrased it, "in other sports you don't try to intentionally inflict damage on your opponents as part of the normal course of play"
                        "hurt" is probably relative for these guys. Some guys lose by being submitted with an arm bar. It probably hurts for a few seconds before they tap, but then there's no damage.

Submissions are actually one of the thing that usually keeps injuries less in MMA than boxing. If you get caught, you tap and live to fight another day instead of just getting constantly pounded on with 16oz gloves for 16 rounds.

And you honestly don't think some of these NFL defensive backs aren't trying to intentionally inflict damage on their opponent?

Luckily, no one is forcing you to like this sport. To each his own.

Comment

the Torres fight was a real snoozer

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                            "hurt" is probably relative for these guys. Some guys lose by being submitted with an arm bar. It probably hurts for a few seconds before they tap, but then there's no damage.

Submissions are actually one of the thing that usually keeps injuries less in MMA than boxing. If you get caught, you tap and live to fight another day instead of just getting constantly pounded on with 16oz gloves for 16 rounds.

And you honestly don't think some of these NFL defensive backs aren't trying to intentionally inflict damage on their opponent?Luckily, no one is forcing you to like this sport. To each his own.
                            I meant within the rules of the sport.

Did I say I didn't like the sport anywhere in this thread? Did you just assume I don't enjoy MMA because of my questions?

For the record I have watched some of the fights and probably will watch in the future. I'm not immune to enjoying a good fight, although I think it is a bit absurd.
                            Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-06-2011, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Muay Thai teep FTW! Wow! That's almost always -- 99.9% -- aimed at the midsection not the head. Risky and it paid off big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                Why do you guys watch and enjoy this stuff? Just curious as to why violence excites people.
                                Guess I misunderstood. You're obviously a big fan

Comment

Working...
                                X