S&P CEO Canned in Credit Downgard Aftermath, Replaced by Citibank COO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&P CEO Canned in Credit Downgard Aftermath, Replaced by Citibank COO

And to think we used to mock the soviets for being ironfisted & ruthless. This is insane.

ZeroHedge - On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Following years of pandering to client demands, and assigning trillions of dollars in fixed income securities with whatever rating money bought (among other things, a factor to the credit bubble and its subsequent implosion) S&P finally tried to do the right thing and tell the truth. However in this case it picked if not the worst, then certainly the most hypocriticial credit in the world to expose - the US itself. Sure enough two weeks after the downgrade, someone made the phone call and the CEO Deven Sharma is no more. As for the kick square in the gonads: Sherma will be replaced with the COO of...you know it... the bank which demanded tens of billions in secret Fed bailout loans itself, Citibank, and whose existence is inextricably tied to America not seeing any more downgrades ever again.

As the FT reports, "The McGraw-Hill board made the decision to replace Mr Sharma at a meeting on Monday, where it also discussed an ongoing strategic review." Alas, this is nothing but a case study of modern corporate reality in America: if you are not with the status quo, you are against it, and you are promptly booted out of it: anyone who does not share the visions of one glorious future built on ponzi schemes, houses of cards, and games of three card monte, will be promptly suicided, either physically or professionally.
    Last edited by ; 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM.

a two trillion dollar mathematical error is really tough to overlook in a job review

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      a two trillion dollar mathematical error is really tough to overlook in a job review
      His calculator only had 10 digits in the LCD screen so you can't really blame him....
      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

This guy turned S & P into a national punch line. And you see something sinister in his dismissal?
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Are there still leading execs at any rating agency who still have jobs after the 2008 debacle?

They failed miserably at the exact thing they were assigned to do. They could have prevented or mitigated a lot of damage.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
            This guy turned S & P into a national punch line. And you see something sinister in his dismissal?
            Explain to me how the U.S. should be AAAA, other than the implied threat of our intimidating war machine? That is the national punch line. We haven't paid back a single cent of the accumulating principal since the early 1960s, while just stringing along heftier interest payments for decades. In fact, the AP came out with an article just the other day that Social Security will not be functionally solvent by 2017, due to the increased extractions made by distressed citizens. Putin, as strange as it sounds, wasn't far off when he called us parasites on the global stage, in that we can suck up goods and services at a discount rate & also recklessly export inflation to all corners of the world by wielding the reserve currency of the world in such an irresponsible manner.
            Last edited by ; 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMan View Post
              Explain to me how the U.S. should be AAAA, other than the implied threat of our intimidating war machine? That is the national punch line. We haven't paid back a single cent of the accumulating principal since the early 1960s, while just stringing along heftier interest payments for decades. In fact, the AP came out with an article just the other day that Social Security will not be functionally solvent by 2017, due to the increased extractions made by distressed citizens. Putin, as strange as it sounds, wasn't far off when he called us parasites on the global stage, in that we can suck up goods and services at a discount rate & also recklessly export inflation to all corners of the world by wielding the reserve currency of the world in such an irresponsible manner.
              You're missing Wonderboy's point, I do believe. Your claim is his dismissal is Chicago politics writ large, vengeance for the downgrade of US debt. Wonderboy's point is S&P hosed up catastrophically when missing the entire derivative debacle in the mid to late 2000s.

I happen to see both points, but more WB's than yours here. I do think the Fed investigation of S&P - and only S&P - is highly suspicious and reeks of retribution. But that this CEO was irresponsible to the core for many years is even more true.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                You're missing Wonderboy's point, I do believe. Your claim is his dismissal is Chicago politics writ large, vengeance for the downgrade of US debt. Wonderboy's point is S&P hosed up catastrophically when missing the entire derivative debacle in the mid to late 2000s.

I happen to see both points, but more WB's than yours here. I do think the Fed investigation of S&P - and only S&P - is highly suspicious and reeks of retribution. But that this CEO was irresponsible to the core for many years is even more true.
                I don't think it's merely relegated to the sphere of the Chicago sewer, in fact I think it goes alot higher than that, especially when a plutocrat like Warren Buffet sets his sights on your organization. Secondly, this CEO should not have survived the fallout of the AAA gold-plated mortgage security fiasco, so it's painfully ironic that this act of defiance was the last nail in the coffin for his employment.
                Last edited by ; 08-23-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Are there still leading execs at any rating agency who still have jobs after the 2008 debacle?

They failed miserably at the exact thing they were assigned to do. They could have prevented or mitigated a lot of damage.
                  The sense I get from Michael Lewis' "The Big Short" is that people who work at the ratings agencies are the people who aren't smart enough to work for an investment bank or hedge fund. They didn't understand what it was that they were rating. They only cared about getting more stuff to rate, as that's how they get paid.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                  X