Warren Buffett - "stop coddling the super-rich"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Buffett - "stop coddling the super-rich"

We mega-rich should not continue to get extraordinary tax breaks while most Americans struggle to make ends meet.

I'm fairly certain people will be reminded he was an Obama supporter in 08 and that it's a logical fallacy to say that because Daddy Warbucks says it's OK that makes it worth doing, but none the less, a good read.

Last year my federal tax bill — the income tax I paid, as well as payroll taxes paid by me and on my behalf — was $6,938,744. That sounds like a lot of money. But what I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income — and that’s actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent.
    But for those making more than $1 million — there were 236,883 such households in 2009 — I would raise rates immediately on taxable income in excess of $1 million, including, of course, dividends and capital gains. And for those who make $10 million or more — there were 8,274 in 2009 — I would suggest an additional increase in rate.

My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It’s time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice.

It's a provocative piece, for sure.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

those that have derived the most benefit from the system should pay the most to sustain it
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        those that have derived the most benefit from the system should pay the most to sustain it
        They already do, by a longshot.

I wonder if this counts as a campaign contribution in-kind?
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          and we have the most (or close to) progressive tax system among first world countries.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            We've had this discussion before. During the years from 2003-2008, the average percentage of income paid to income taxes (for the highest bracket) was around 23%. From the years 1993-2002, the average rate was around 27%. Taxes are much lower now than they have been before.
            Last edited by OaklandA's; 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              and we have the most (or close to) progressive tax system among first world countries.
              I think what Buffett's piece primarily highlights is the fact that those of the super-rich whose income is primarily through investment are treated much better than the wealthy and middle class folks whose income is primarily through salary. To the extent that the richest of the rich tend to get a smaller share of their annual earnings through salary, the progressive intent of our income tax system is frustrated by the lower taxation rates on capital gains.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                ...the progressive intent of our income tax system is frustrated by the lower taxation rates on capital gains.
                I don't know the answer and am just asking. Is their a progressive tax rate for capital gains? Maybe something where lower and middle range capital gains don't get taxed at the same rate as larger capital gains?
                “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I think what Buffett's piece primarily highlights is the fact that those of the super-rich whose income is primarily through investment are treated much better than the wealthy and middle class folks whose income is primarily through salary. To the extent that the richest of the rich tend to get a smaller share of their annual earnings through salary, the progressive intent of our income tax system is frustrated by the lower taxation rates on capital gains.
                  I'm pretty sure capital gains tax rates are progressive, even long term gains. Even before the rates were lowered under Bush, they were still lower than income tax rates.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I'm pretty sure capital gains tax rates are progressive, even long term gains. Even before the rates were lowered under Bush, they were still lower than income tax rates.
                    I am pretty sure they are not.

In fact, as B-Fly was alluding to, they are regressive, in that the uber-rich people who make way more of their income thru investments than salary have a lower tax rate than the rest of us whose investments are a much smaller source of our incomes.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      I am pretty sure they are not.

In fact, as B-Fly was alluding to, they are regressive, in that the uber-rich people who make way more of their income thru investments than salary have a lower tax rate than the rest of us whose investments are a much smaller source of our incomes.

Short term is taxed at the same rate as regular income.

Long term has brackets of:

Comment

Heh, I find it interesting that one of the Richest guys in America is saying flat out---The Super Rich don't get taxed enough and some people are saying he's full of it.

I wonder who's right?
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._United_States

Short term is taxed at the same rate as regular income.

Long term has brackets of:
                          Correct. This is why Buffett only paid 17.1% of his income towards income taxes - the highest long-term capital gains rate is only 15%. This makes the U.S. system much less progressive, since the average rate paid towards income tax is actually higher for mid-range incomes than it is for the highest incomes.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                            Correct. This is why Buffett only paid 17.1% of his income towards income taxes - the highest long-term capital gains rate is only 15%. This makes the U.S. system much less progressive, since the average rate paid towards income tax is actually higher for mid-range incomes than it is for the highest incomes.
                            Right. One could argue that 0/0/15/15/15 is "progressive", but that's kind of a stretch.

Comment

Right. One could argue that 0/0/15/15/15 is "progressive", but that's kind of a stretch.
                              Would something more like 0/0/15/20/25 be fairer? Maybe capping it at 25% for the highest level?
                              “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X