Super Congress???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Congress???

WTF is this? Did i overlook this in the Constitution?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    WTF is this? Did i overlook this in the Constitution?
    Yes, you did:

Article 1, Section 5: "Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings..."

Article 1, Section 8: "To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers (taxes, lay and collect debts, provide for general welfare, borrow money, to coin Money and regulate the Value thereof, regulate commerce), and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks. So it's no big deal then?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Thanks. So it's no big deal then?
        It's no different from any of the hundreds if not thousands of joint committees established by dozens of other Congress's. They only have the power to recommend a plan, not implement it.

So no, it's no big deal.
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

As much as I dislike quoting Mitch McConnell: "This is not a commission. This is a powerful, joint committee with a equal number of Republicans and Senate -- equal number of Republicans and Democrats, and, to make recommendation back to the Senate and House by Thanksgiving of this year for an up or down vote. Think of the base closing legislation that we passed a few years ago for an up or down vote in the Senate."
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
            As much as I dislike quoting Mitch McConnell: "This is not a commission. This is a powerful, joint committee with a equal number of Republicans and Senate -- equal number of Republicans and Democrats, and, to make recommendation back to the Senate and House by Thanksgiving of this year for an up or down vote. Think of the base closing legislation that we passed a few years ago for an up or down vote in the Senate."
            I can see why you dont like quoting him. What was he trying to say?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              I can see why you dont like quoting him. What was he trying to say?

J
              He's saying this isn't a super-congress or even a commission. It's just another joint committee, like the thousands before it. They make recommendations, those recommendations are voting on by both Houses, and it passes or fails at that level. Just like they did before with the closing of the military bases.

Entirely constitutional.
              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                Entirely constitutional.
                As far as you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  As far as you know.
                  Hey, this is a political thread! Get out!
                  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    As far as you know.
                    Is SuperCongress filled with Supermen?
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Is SuperCongress filled with Supermen?
                      Or even better, Superwomen.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Otters are unconstitutional.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                        X