No announcement yet.

*David Bowie Draft Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang, I was probably going to take either "Black Country Rock" or "Quicksand" here although I'm doing my best to branch out a bit.

9.07 - "Soul Love" (Ziggy Stardust, 1972)

Eh, I'll have to listen to some other albums more before I get out of my comfort zone. I could just have the whole Ziggy album and be happy with my list - every song is quite excellent. This song cruises along nicely before busting out a pretty monstrous chorus.

Comment

9.04....Soul Love

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        9.04....Soul Love

About 11 minutes too late there chief

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          about 11 minutes too late there chief
          dis!!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

for Erik:

9.08 DJ (Lodger, 1979)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

9.09 Be My Wife, Low, 1977

It is hard to say that he looks weird in this video given his previous get-ups ... but damn! he looks weird here!

10.01 Little Wonder, Earthling, 1997

I used to really love this track ... completely forgot about it until I bumped into it youtube.

Comment

for Erik:

10.02 Underground (Labrynth soundtrack, 1986)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Sorry, my dog needed a walk. I used that time to listen to Heroes to see if I wanted anything off it...and I didn't.

10.03 - "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" (Scary Monsters, 1980)

Not sure what I think about those monster sounds in the background and I'm never a fan of the 80's production, but this song's still a lot of fun. Plus, for some reason I love how he says "know what I mean..." right before the chorus.

Comment

Since both Erik & Johnny have already taken two songs each from this album, I feared that one of them might triple up.

10.04 Word on a Wing (Station to Station, 1976)

We have closed out our first album, Station to Station.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

9.04....It Ain't Easy

Comment

I believe Fresno has been skipped

10.06....Let's Spend the Night Together (1973)

Comment

10.07 It's No Game, Part 1 (Scary Monsters, 1980)

Not many people make it past the first verse -- what with Bowie's deliberately horrible singing -- but this is an insane one. Robert Fripp is the star here... he just hammers the crap out of this, including a GREAT dissonant lead, one of his Top 10 of all time. And that crazy Japanese chick!

Guaranteed to clear out a gaggle of annoying sophomore girls from your dorm room, a fond memory from 1980.
                          Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM.
                          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

10.08 She Shook Me Cold (The Man Who Sold The World, 1970)

You have to hear this one. It may be the heaviest thing I've ever heard from Bowie. Other than the vocals, it could have been Humble Pie, or Cactus, or even early Led Zeppelin.

I'm not sure it fits in with my other Bowie picks, but it demanded to be picked, and, to be honest, I was a little bit scared not to pick it. It's that heavy.

Comment

11.02 Sister Midnight (A Reality Tour, 2010)

Funky as it wanna be!

This song was originally on Iggy Pop's "The Idiot", co-written and produced by Bowie. Bowie did a song very similar called "Red Money" on Lodger, but "Sister Midnight" only appears on the live album A Reality Tour. It has a great groove, and as you can tell from a lot of my picks (here, in the Neil draft, and even in the Dylan draft), I'm all about the groove.

Much to my chagrin, I cannot find any video from the CD or DVD of the A Reality Tour. What I have below is from a rehearsal for the 1976 tour.

Comment

11.03 Look Back In Anger (Lodger, 1979)

Very underrated 'Lodger' cut, David overdoing it a bit on the vocals, but the band is absolutely cooking behind him, especially Carlos Alomar's guitar break at 1:15.
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X