No announcement yet.

*David Bowie Draft Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.08 The Bewlay Brothers (Hunky Dory, 1971)

I first came across this via The Replicants, a collection of folks from Failure, Tool and Lusk who put out an album of covers in the mid 90s.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

7.09 Port Of Amsterdam, Jaques Brel cover ... b-side from 1973

This is brilliant little song ... one that I found while researching for this draft. Has a folky 19th century old world melody.

8.01 Lady Stardust, Ziggy Stardust, 1972

One of my favourites from Ziggy.

Comment

8.02 Always Crashing in the Same Car (Low, 1977)

Amazing guitar work by Randy Gardiner.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Time to finally veer from my go-to albums:

8.03 - "Teenage Wildlife" (Scary Monsters, 1980)

Sounds a lot like "Heroes" at first with the chug-along rhythm and guitar leads, but soon takes on a very different feel with Bowie's theatrical vocal delivery and a pretty killer mini-solo in the middle.

Comment

Perhaps Aladdin Sane is my favorite album given my roster thus far . I'm actually pretty surprised this hasn't been picked yet. I thought about picking another for more balance but this is the last song in my top 30 so gotta snag it.

8.04 Watch That Man (Aladdin Sane, 1973)

Studio:

Live:

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

8.05 This is Not America (1985, "The Falcon and the Snowman" soundtrack)

I seem to be stuck in a mid-80s crooner rut....
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

8.06....Magic Dance (1986)

Comment

8.07 What In The World (Low, 1977)

I'll just keep mining those gems off Side 1 of Low... Iggy Pop on off-key-but-great backing vocals.
                  One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

8.08 Somebody Up There Likes Me (Young Americans, 1975)

I think this is the best example of Bowie laying down some serious American soul music, and it may be my favorite track from Young Americans.

Comment

8.09 - Shape of Things

Comment

9.01- Can't Explain

Comment

9.02 We Are The Dead (Diamond Dogs, 1974)

Jumping back 20+ years from the last pick...I love this album.

Comment

9.03 Black Country Rock (The Man Who Sold The World, 1970)

Another of the great early Ronson rockers, surprised it lasted this long. Listen for Bowie's T-Rex vibrato impersonation at the end.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

9.05 Red Sails (Lodger, 1979)

Krautrock meets the Velvet Underground, plus Adrian Belew
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I hate to keep dipping in the same wells, but you guys are leaving me no choice! I have a feeling the other song I was considering here won't make it back, I'll go with one of my all-time favorite lyrics.

Don't believe in yourself
                                Don't deceive with belief
                                Knowledge comes
                                with death's release

9.06 Quicksand (Hunky Dory, 1971)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X