No announcement yet.

*David Bowie Draft Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.04 Drive-In Saturday (Aladdin Sane, 1973)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

6.05 Station to Station (Station to Station, 1976)

Bowie does krautrock, in a 10 min art freakout......plus it seems like I need to own every title track!
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Since I don't have time to search for a Bowie song, I'll take the song I threatened to from the start!!!

6.06.....Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth (w/Bing Crosby), 1978

My favorite Xmas song. The 'Peace on Earth' part was written exclusively for Bowie. Crosby died of a heart attack just 14 days later while playing golf in Spain.

Comment

6.07 1984 - (Diamond Dogs, 1974)

This was the other big FM hit from Diamond Dogs back in 1974. The first glimpse of the soul boy he was quickly to become... you can hear the Philly Soul and Isaac Hayes influences clearly.
          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

How did I not realize it was my pick earlier? Luckily, no one took it:

6.03 - "Lady Grinning Soul" (Aladdin Sane, 1973)

I wanted either this one or "Aladdin Sane" to fulfill my crazy piano freak-out songs off that album. I slightly prefer this one since all the dissonance on the title track becomes off-putting after a while.

Comment

Lucky/Alice Up

Gregg On Deck

Comment

I waited a whole day for the opportunity to pick "1984", and then The Foot takes it with the pick right before mine. What a burn. So, I'll get weird and go with:

6.08 The Hearts Filthy Lesson (Outside, 1995)

Here's the original, with a fairly bizarre video.

It's an odd, disturbing album. This is the Trent Reznor Remix.

Last edited by ; 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

6.09- Janine

Comment

7.01- Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere

Comment

7.02 I'm Afraid Of Americans (Earthling, 1997)

There are several mixes. I like the original album version the best, but this mix has a pretty cool video featuring Bowie and Trent Reznor.

I really like the industrial sound he has put together here.

Comment

7.03 Speed Of Life (Low - 1977)

Where Bowie single-handedly creates New Wave. I had this album on 8-track tape in my first car, in 1977. We blasted this constantly, amazed at how cool and futuristic it all was. Nobody had EVER heard anything like this, particularly that heavy drum and bass sound which is so familiar now... from Wiki:

Although the music was influenced by German bands such as Kraftwerk and Neu!, Low has been acclaimed for its originality and is considered ahead of its time, not least for its cavernous treated drum sound created by producer Visconti using an Eventide Harmonizer. On the release of Low, Visconti received phone calls from other producers asking how he had made this unique sound, but would not give up the information, instead asking each producer how they thought it had been done.
                        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

7.04....Sorrow (1973)

Comment

7.05 "Loving the Alien" (Tonight, 1985)

Last edited by Fresno Bob; 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM. Reason: added video
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Want another rocker and this is exactly my current state.

7.06 Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (Space Oddity, 1969)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

For Overkill:

7.07 - "All the Madmen" (The Man Who Sold the World, 1970)

Last edited by Erik; 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X